LegacyGT.com

When you turn the AC off-

Throttlejockey

Well then Subaru has an air door problem or lack of an air door alltogether. Some vehicles use an actual valve on the heater core to stop coolant flow through the heater core in the summer.

According to this it looks like air will go through the heater core unless it's on face. Even with coolant valve closed (no reference in the manual) the core will still be slightly warm.

However another possibility is that there IS NO coolant valve for the heater core, and even with the airflow duct closed, that area is still hot, so it slightly warms the air.

edit - btw I guess it's not clear in the pic, the evaporator is next to the blower, and the heat core is the one after it.

hvac.JPG.66c1e78b90207c65f92ebaf2466895b4.JPG

[quote name='scubie02']I did notice the other day when I got in to an already warmed car after some shopping that it blew fairly warm at first, then blew cooler after a few minutes--maybe its a heat sink/buildup sort of deal in that siuation.[/quote] my gt ltd usually blows rather warm/hot air at first, then it cools down after a few mins unless, of course, it's hot outside. sometimes i go out around 2AM and, you know, it can get kinda chilly at night here in CO...

This Space For Rent

okay it's now almost 2AM and i just came back from supermarket... weather.gov says the local temp. right now is 51F (the computer read 62F), and my car blew [b]cool[/b] (but warmer than outside) air for the [b]whole[/b] 20~25 mins it was on the road (yup i warmed up the engine little bit). it's cool enough to have given a headache (i wore t-shirt and shorts and sandals) if i had driven under that condition for an hour.

This Space For Rent

Make sure you turn the temp down to 65. Otherwise the the air will be heated regardless of the outside temp. My last two Subarus with auto climate control worked the same way. From auto mode, turn the temp to 65. Then push off. Then push mode to get panel or bi-level. This will be ambient "vent" air, unheated. You can turn the fan on from that point if desired. It's similar to a system with manual control. Unless the temp is turned all the way down, some amount of heat will be added. Craig

Craig, Since you've obviously had experience with Subaru climate control, have you ever experienced in auto mode the flip flop affect where it puts out cold air for a few seconds then warm or hot air the next and back to cool? This was in a hot car where one would expect it to be putting out the coldest air possible. Thanks for your insight.

What temperature was the unit set at when the flip-flop happened? Subaru's HVAC system, like many others, will cycle the AC compressor on and off to maintain a "set" temperature. Also, the AC compressor will turn itself off under hard acceleration to reduce engine load. Ken

The car was hot inside having sat on the lot all day closed up. The temp on the A/C was set at 65 so it should have been doing everything it could to pump out the coldest air possible. This was occuring during normal acceleration. Now accelerating from the on ramp to the highway it was obvious that the compressor turned off because the air then came out hot as heck until we were cruising again.

When the AC is not on, "very" warm air comes in all the vents. When the service Manager at my Subaru dealer checked it out the other day, the outside temp. was 78 and the air coming in the vents was 101. I also noticed many other people having the same problem. For every person that posts, there are at least a thousand or more that agree but don't post. I hope SOA is listening, because THIS IS ABSOLUTLY UNACCEPTABLE! My service manager is waiting for a soloution from SOA. So am I!!!!! Not an excuse, or the usual BALONEY :?: , but a real solution. If Subaru is trying to run with the Acura TL's, etc. they have a long way to go with gaffs like this, and the wacky floor mat holder and the low arm rest and the very cheap radio and the very cheap carpeting and the very small back seat etc., etc., etc.. BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM CHARGING $30, 200 FOR THE LEGACY GT SEDAN, WITH ONLY A 3 YEAR 36,000 MI. WARRANTY. But maybe I'm missing something.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Whatcanitellyou'] $30, 200 FOR THE LEGACY GT SEDAN, WITH ONLY A 3 YEAR 36,000 MI. WARRANTY.[/quote] Oh, and I doubt TL owners ever put their climate controls into manual/no ac.[/quote] The climate control in my TL is near perfect and has never failed to please me. You can leave the system in auto mode and still turn off the a/c and it will never attempt to heat the air if it is warmer inside. In fact, it will not apply any heat to the air unless the outside temp is 10 degrees cooler. Every car maker needs to study the Acura school of climate control. Now don't get me wrong, I'm ready to give up my Acrua for the Legacy, but this climate control issue as well as the engine stuttering are keeping me from making the move. It will never get fixed unless everyone contacts SOA like I mentioned in my earlier post.

Archived