LegacyGT.com

Going from 328i to 2.5 Wagon

Hey guys, the wife currently has a 97 328i which she loves to death but with a new baby we cant fit the stroller in the trunk and the child seat is VERY snug in the back seat with the front passenger fairly close to the dashboard. Weve been going back and forth between the Outback (third on the list), the Forester (second place) and the Legacy Wagon 2.5 Limited. Couple of questions...

Will she be disappointed with the power? The 328i is a very smooth, ~195HP, ~210TQ, engine. Whats the 0-60 of the 2.5 Limited Wagon (auto)?

Will the 07 have a 5 speed auto or is the 4 speed enough? Is there something the 07 will have the I should wait for?

Anyone have pics of a baby seat in the back?

And lastly, were torn between leasing (we never have a car for more than 3 years and she wont be modifying it. She also drives less than 10K miles a year) or selling her car and taking a majority of it to put down on a purchase. What kind of prices and payments have you guys gotten? The only options we'd be interested in are the dimming mirror with compass and the armrest extionsion.

We were also looking at a Passat because of the trunk space and nicer interior but its more expensive and Ive never been a fan of FWD (coming from BMW)

I had a BMW 325i sedan, and the LGT is more fun to drive, at least the manual transmission version. Unfortunately, the manual Legacy GT wagon is no longer available for the 06 model year. Dunno 'bout the auto trans- I wouldn't buy an auto transmission vehicle, but that's just me. Also, doesn't the Passat have an AWD option/version?

I have the sedan and its slow...gas mileage is good but its SLOW...the AWD is GREAT but its still SLOW

Your in the same boat as me but I have to buy her a car outright because she is giving up her company car...

Its serving the purpose for what I need it to do for now and that's why I put up with it....I can see the GT in our not so distant future.

I have the sedan and its slow...gas mileage is good but its SLOW...the AWD is GREAT but its still SLOW

Your in the same boat as me but I have to buy her a car outright because she is giving up her company car...

Its serving the purpose for what I need it to do for now and that's why I put up with it....I can see the GT in our not so distant future.

Well crap. We might have to look at some other brands than. I need something failry quick (<7-8 seconds 0-60) with more trunk space (11.4 cube ft in her current car I believe) and something in the mid $20K's

Oh wow, 10's? I think her car is 6.5-7

If it's a 328i Auto then it's 7-8 but still considerably faster than a 2.5i My wife has the same model as yours but in the Wagon version, called "Touring" by BMW. The back seat must be positioned differently because there's plenty of room in the back for the kids seats.

The seat we have is the backwards facing toddler seat, which is probably why it takes up more room than a standard child seat. As far as the LGT wagon thats way too much for her. Besides, Im looking at the LGT sedan for myself...

You could get a carseat that takes up less room, I had a Britax Roundabout rear facing in a WRX Wagon, it was tight but worked with the front seat 2 or 3 clicks from the back position.

Well crap. We might have to look at some other brands than. I need something failry quick (<7-8 seconds 0-60) with more trunk space (11.4 cube ft in her current car I believe) and something in the mid $20K's

Test drive it before you make your decision...highway pick up and go from the mid 30's - to 80's is actually pretty quick.

I am a bad test of fast I came from Hemi Grand Cherokee...it may be good for her. If you really like it take a exit ramp at about 50 mph...that's what sold me:icon_bigg

I own an 05 Legacy GT MT but Ive been driving a 2006 2.5i AT sedan loaner for a week now it has the GT wheels and cloth interior.

Let me say this: whatever changes subaru made between 05 and 06 make a big difference. The power is very good in the low range, even better than the GT below 3k rpm, kind of flat in the middle and it squeezes a bit more out at the top of the rev range. But it does feel like it makes some good power.

Even coming from the much faster MT GT, I was surprised at how "quick" the 2.5i was. It was also a very nice car to drive, very smooth and the GT wheels make it look much better.

My mother drives a 2004 c230 kompressor and my father a 2006 is250. I would say the 2.5i isnt as quick as either of them, but it isnt that far off. I would say it is closer to 7-8 seconds to 60 than 10 for sure. Much much better than the 05 2.5i foresters and outbacks I have driven FWIW.

I've got a 2006 2.5i wagon with the 5MT. It's acceleration is adequate, nothing blistering. However keep in mind, if you're buying a car for your wife and baby and you pass up the safest car on the road (see iihs.org) for something that will let your wife get to 60mph 2 secs faster you need to have your head examined.

Can't speak to the Legacies, but for the Outbacks, I drove both the 2.5i and 2.5XT back-to-back and there's really no comparison. The i is only adequate, and the turbo rocks. I was fully planning on buying the i, but it just didn't do it for me (and I'm not a speed demon or anything). Still, the i is about $4K less on the Outbacks (same for Legacies?). The i does get better mileage and doesn't require premium fuel though; both definite positives.

I've got a 2006 2.5i wagon with the 5MT. It's acceleration is adequate, nothing blistering. However keep in mind, if you're buying a car for your wife and baby and you pass up the safest car on the road (see iihs.org) for something that will let your wife get to 60mph 2 secs faster you need to have your head examined.

Unless the lack of pick up is a factor in accident. Strange things happen and sometimes being able to get out of the way FAST is life saving.

Not to mention larger brakes that usually compliment "bigger" engine.

Krzys

passive safety versus active safety.

if everyone with a wife and kids bought the iihs best pick, we'd have a lot fewer cars on the market. there are a lot of cars that are safe and perform well, and not everyone picks the same car as the "best."

the real victory of the "star" system is that it drives the market to have safer cars overall, and highlights cars with major safety issues. Everyone shoots for 5 stars, and hopefully the market average improves.

Distinguishing between 4 and 5 stars (on a fantastic statistical sample of one crashed vehicle, usually) is pretty tough. I don't think anyone needs to have their head examined here for considering other vehicles.

Archived