LegacyGT.com

What's up with these vents?

My 99 Legacy sedan has a problem with the two middle dash vents. Pushing any of the switches will not open them on command........but they will open unexpectedly while driving down the road. Is this due to a faulty switch(es) in the dash panel, or are there some electrically operated solenoid gates behind the dash that control air flow to these vents which are malfunctioning? This is a bothersome problem, as these two middle vents need to be open for A/C. The two side vents do operate as they should, i.e. they respond to pushing the dash switches. Anyone here ever had the same experience? Thanks for your help! Daryl

I dont think the 99 are electronic, it's probably a mechanical HVAC hook or something else that fell off the assembly.

Hang on let me make sure you talking about the same thing that I am. You wanna switch from like the blowing on the floor or out the upper vents etc. In which case they are electronic. No mechanical hooks like you would find in the Impreza. However, I find it odd that the side vents operate normally. How delayed are the center vents. When you push the buttons you should hear a faint mechanical chatter that is adjusting the vents. Im assuming that you wouldnt hear that (on the centers) until they opened up. Try it.

As long as we're talking about vents, I've noticed that even with the climate-control system turned off, I get a steady flow of warm air out of the dash vents during normal driving. I'm not sure if it happens when the windows are closed, but it definitely occurs when they're open, even if just slightly. In all my previous cars, if you turned the CC system off, the first thing you'd hear was a muted hiss and soft thump indicating the vents were shut off, and you would have no airflow from the dash vents afterwards. Has anyone else experienced this in the '05 and/or '06 Legacy models? Or any other Subaru models, for that matter?

^^even with climate control "off" u still need to press the fresh/re-circ button so that it shows the arrow re-circulating the air so that the vents are "off"....

if u just leave everything off it still brings in fresh air thru the vents from outside.....

^^even with climate control "off" u still need to press the fresh/re-circ button so that it shows the arrow re-circulating the air so that the vents are "off"....

if u just leave everything off it still brings in fresh air thru the vents from outside.....

Especially when doing 70. But I could see how one might think that it would all shut off with an auto climate control system. Wish I could figure out how to install the JDM one for the BD/BG.

In the Spec B, I have already tried the idea of setting it to Recirc before turning off the system. The warm air flow continues. I will try it tomorrow with the windows up and CC off and see if it persists, but I wouldn't normally drive my car with it set that way. The flow of warm air from the dash vents is a little annoying when you're driving with the windows down, trying to enjoy the cool breeze. :iam:

In the case of the 99 Legacy in question: if I push in the vent switch (arrow to head), the side vents open and the center vents stay closed.........until several minutes pass and then they open by themselves. When other switch buttons are pushed that would normally open the center vents, the same response happens. What is causing this malfunction of the vent system?

In the Spec B, I have already tried the idea of setting it to Recirc before turning off the system. The warm air flow continues. I will try it tomorrow with the windows up and CC off and see if it persists, but I wouldn't normally drive my car with it set that way. The flow of warm air from the dash vents is a little annoying when you're driving with the windows down, trying to enjoy the cool breeze. :iam:

The same thing occurs in my specB. Dealer says it's normal. I've never experienced this in any other car I've owned. :confused:

Not sure about the specB but my 05 non ltdGT has the same issue w/warm air blowing from the vent on "outside" air but when I switch to recirc before shutting it off, there is zero air blowing. This should be the case w/the specB as I don't believe there are any differences with the "plumbing" between the 2 models. (??)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

u have to turn it to re-circ AFTERRRRRR u turn everything off!

not before!

Well, since the Spec B recirc button doesn't work once you turn off the climate-control system, I'm not sure how I would accomplish that! :confused:

u have to turn it to re-circ AFTERRRRRR u turn everything off!

not before!

Thinking about this thread on the way to work today, I tried setting the HVAC system to RECIRC after turning it off. It works!

This is probably in one of the FAQs, but I have no short term memory lately. This was a good reminder.

JohnG -- Have you tried pressing the outside air/recirc button after the HVAC system is turned off? It should work. It works in my specB. The only symbol you should see on the HVAC display is the mode (outside air or recirc). If it doesn't, then have the dealer look at it. Something may be kaput.

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking about this thread on the way to work today, I tried setting the HVAC system to RECIRC after turning it off. It works!

This is probably in one of the FAQs, but I have no short term memory lately. This was a good reminder.

JohnG -- Have you tried pressing the outside air/recirc button after the HVAC system is turned off? It should work. It works in my specB. The only symbol you should see on the HVAC display is the mode (outside air or recirc). If it doesn't, then have the dealer look at it. Something may be kaput.

Thanks for the info! My assumption that the button wouldn't do anything with the CC system off was wrong. And it cures the problem. As the saying goes, assumption is the mother of all f**kups!

Archived