LegacyGT.com

Changed Gas Stations, fuel economy up 10%

Ethanol turns to gel when mixed with water, causing filter and injector problems.

Imagine an agreement to supply cornoil (Ethanol) to cover 10% of our nations fuel supply!!!

Its been documented in trade books, if they did away with all additives and sold the same gas that we had in the 60's your same car today would get up to 35-50% better gas mileage and polute less!

In the early seventies my vega used to get 33MPG

LAst I checked, water and ethanol mix quite well without forming a gel. Ethanol can affect seals though.

Cornoil is not ethanol, it's cornoil. IF it were ethanol, you wouldn't be able to go into a store that doesn't have a liquor license and buy as many gallons as you want.

If we did away with additives, we'd see better milage, but not quite that much (probably about 20% on average), and it certainly wouldn't pollute less. Plus the gas from the 60s would have lead in it and would mess up your cats and likely finiky things like injectors pretty quick.

Your cehvy vega got 33mpg because it was 70 horsepower, 85hp if you had the dual carb version. Even if you only get 16.5mpg out of a LGT, thats half the MPG for 3.5 times the horsepower. Your vega wasn't efficient at all.

I've noticed Shell which is considered Top Teir gas use Eth. It says on the little sticker when you pump gas somewhere...Isn't Top Teir the best of the best (so to speak)

"Top Tier" is a joke. I don't doubt that some brands use better/worse/less/more/different cleaning additives than others, but the whole "Top Tier" thing is pure marketing BS brought to you by a big gas station operator based in Oklahoma (QuickTrip). And if you believe that the auto makers they heavily imply are sponsors actually give two shits about "Top Tier," well, I've got some great ocean beachfront property in Oklahoma to sell you :icon_wink

I'm in Colorado, and have been using Safeway gas since I got my car, then my wife filed it up with Diamond Shamrock and I immediately noticed a 10%+ increase. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm will into my 2nd DS tank and it is even better than the 1st one. Averaging an indicated 22.8 around town which should be in the mid 21s when I calculate it at next fill. This is up from mid 19s with Safeway.

Speaking as someone who lives in Colorado. I have tried all different brands and have found that Shell gives me the best performance and mileage. They are getting harder to find but give them a try as long as it is a station with a good amount of turn over of their gas.

I have a Diamond Shamrock by me and it has a lot of turn over in their gas but my mileage always goes down at least two points when I fill up there.

Well, I mistakenly put 10% Ethanal Super from Hess in my tank. I'm usually a lot more alert then this but for some reason, wasn't that day. They had a smallish sticker stating "This fuel contains 10% Ethanol." I hadn't noticed until after I started pumping.

My MPG took a nose-dive immediately. Granted, I've only driven 50 or so miles with that fuel in there. I'll monitor a bit more and see what happens. So far, I'm not terribly impressed.

:(

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

My gas statiom sells FAST GAS!!!!! hehe. j/p but yeah, they have 101 octane, so its fast gas, lol. Its a Mobil.

I use QT, Mobil, and Shell (V-POWAH!!). They all seem to do well in my car. Occasionally I will use Chevron if needed, but it rarely is. In other states I may get stuck with other gas, or in Mexico (they only have 1 gas station company thats regulated by the gov't, so gas should be ok anywhere).

Well, I mistakenly put 10% Ethanal Super from Hess in my tank. I'm usually a lot more alert then this but for some reason, wasn't that day. They had a smallish sticker stating "This fuel contains 10% Ethanol." I hadn't noticed until after I started pumping.

My MPG took a nose-dive immediately. Granted, I've only driven 50 or so miles with that fuel in there. I'll monitor a bit more and see what happens. So far, I'm not terribly impressed.

:(

Id put money on it, that almost any gas station you ever use, has 10% ethanol, at least here in AZ theyve had that forever, everywhere.

Archived