LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R 6-spd review

They rave about this car....a great read from a REAL Car mag... [url]http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2004/S/subaru/legacy-3r-specb/3r-specb.html[/url] How great are those U.K. mags CAR, Top Gear, and a few other ones. After reading those, it's almost embarrassing to read C&D, R&T, and MT which is by far the most classless magazine. They should just rename it, 'Chevy-trend,' which is more a tune with their level of literary sophistication. ...just my 2 cents.... **Vote Kerry 04'**

Hey wukilla98, if I ever get the chance to get into SoAU and drive the 3.0R Spec-B then I will be able to do the write up I have been promising for weeks now. Again PPL, please stay tuned..... Nice political 2 cents worth too, duly noted. Adam.

U.K. magazines are worse than US magazines. They never give good review on all japanese cars and only cars they like WERE english cars but are there british cars anymore? (Jaguar-Ford, Aston Martin-Ford, Lotus-Proton WTF.......many more) Of course there's MG and other crappy companies but not worth anything. they only like BMW's and Porsches now. talk about bias.

While we are talking, speculating and doing surveys on flagship Leg GT/sti, it looks like Suby has an offering in the wings and is giving obvious signals about the NEXT step. Article from UK mag that raves about Leg GT had another article that talked about the Leg 3.0 Spec B being shown at Geneva Auto Show next month. We know from agctr that the Spec B is selling in OZ. Is there much reason to believe that Suby has not decided on the H6/6MT as the platform for the Legacy Flagship? I have no doubt that hp/torque will be there, but I sure hope they upgrade carpet, seats and the short list of interior features that all have mentioned so many times. I love the interior design of the Suby better than Audi or BMW, but a flagship must have upgraded materials and my hot button, even higher quality seats that look and feel impressive. I am not waiting, I will order my Leg GT this weekend and buy the Spec B or whatever after its first refresh.

Actually guys this is the website to our TV program Driven - and they do the least scientific tests known to man - so the fact that they like the car is all you can take away. Last Brit magazine I read gave the C6 a good review so they aren't completely German focused. Having said that I'm sure that the german cars are great, it's just that the bunch of ******s that drive them mean that I'm not even gonna try one.

Hey Everyone..... Great thinking MtnSub, I think at the end of the day, if you hang around waiting forever for something that may or may not turn up, yr missing out on yr current drive. Im sure that Subaru will have a serious look at moving these units to the US once the market can bolster some real results. Im sure that Subaru has every intention of making a real foot hold in the US Market. Adam. Let us know how yr order process goes and what colour u r going to get.

I have 10,000kms on my GT wagon. If and/or when a Spec B wagon (or whatever they call it for North America) is available I will upgrade. The priorities for me would be: - suspension...the softness of the stock GT set up puts a dull edge on the knife. A more controlled and responsive damper / spring combination is required. - tires...I would prefer not to have to spend another $1000 just after I buy the car - 6 speed...if only for a taller cruising gear. My commute speeds are in the 140-150 kph range. I go through a lot of gas. - power...the GT has very good power but an extra 20-30 hp would differentiate the models - interior...the GT is such a large step up from my WRX that I have few complaints. My priority would be a telescoping steering wheel. Given the higher cornering limits due to suspension, upgraded seats would be welcome. Tom

Anti sway bars should flatten the car's profile in the turns and help prevent loading up the outside front tire. But, for me, I need a higher spring rate to keep the car's motions under tighter control. The soft springs give lots of travel and comfort but make the car feel unsettled. A couple of examples: high speed highway runs where you drive over large swells...you can feel the springs compress heavily and then rebound a couple of times. Same applies to going through intersections when you are trying to make the yellow light...big compression and rebound. My reference is the STi setup I had on my WRX. Sure, impacts were sharper and the ride was not as comfortable but the chassis settled very quickly and always kept you in control. The Spec B spring rates that I have seen appeared to be close to STi rates which would be too stiff for me in the GT. Although, I believe there was a revision to Spec B (does that make it Spec B v2?) that softened them somewhat. The review does not mention harshness. Tom

[quote name='GTCanada']My reference is the STi setup I had on my WRX. Sure, impacts were sharper and the ride was not as comfortable but the chassis settled very quickly and always kept you in control. The Spec B spring rates that I have seen appeared to be close to STi rates which would be too stiff for me in the GT. Although, I believe there was a revision to Spec B (does that make it Spec B v2?) that softened them somewhat. The review does not mention harshness. Tom[/quote] Yes, supposedly there is a v2 out or coming soon...

GTCanada, I like your simple short list for a Leg GT/sti. I agree that 20-30 more HP would be enough to differentiate models, yet be cost effective for Suby to provide today. With the exception of telescopic steering wheel, suby could give us the car you requested from existing parts bin. I could not agree more with upgrade seats for function and marketing model differentiation. Great seats are so visual and so much a part of the actual sensation of being in a special car. Current seats are very good looking/feel, but flagship Suby costing thousands more could benefit from M3/VolvoR level seats. Improved power 275-300 hp 6 MT WOW seats Adjustable steering wheel and a few missing interior features A short, but potent list that I would pay $4k-$5k more for. Yes Suby can provide those things for much less than $4K, but that is called flagship car premium margin and is a big part of why Suby will consider. My current Leg GT will MSRP at about $30k MT, and if the super GT you described would MSRP at $34-$35 MT, that would still be $2k-$3k less than the 325ixT wagon I bought my son and his did not have the sport pack or wheel tire upgrade. We are talking 325i vs GT with bigger brakes today and a potential 275-300 hp. Sounds like a market beater to me. Still, it looks like Suby is sending all hard clues that the H6/6MT platform is going to be the Leg Sti direction.

Hmm, I am also interested in how the 3.0R engine feels connected to the 6 MT. I love my car and also the engine. I also appreciate the 5EAT and the comfort with it. Not that I would trade my car for the spec B. that will be available here in Germany at the end of this year (the spec B price is 2000 Euro over the 3.0R with auto). But as first reviews imply the 3.0R should be a little bit quicker from 0-100 km/h. The top speed seems to be lower (230 km/h for spec. B compared to 237 km/h for 5EAT) - so is the gear ratio of the 6MT closer??? How will that affect mileage? So I am looking forward to your driving impressions, Adam! :)

Just checked out the technical details of the Legacy 3.0R Spec B on [url]www.subaru.ch[/url]. Gearing Ratios are also there as mileage. Concerning mileage, there is a real surprise (at least for me): The spec B has a worse mileage than the 5EAT version. With 5EAT it is rated with 9,8 l per 100 km, the spec B is rated at 11,9 l per 100 km. Also the 0-100 km/h are the same (8,4 sec), but I guess that is just not true. The top speed for the spec B is 244 km/h (4-door) and 233 km/h (wagon).

Archived