LegacyGT.com

Alternative to CS?

isuace

I have been reading alot on this forum (you guys are great, lots of info) about upgrading the sound system in my 05 LGT. I like the idea of the Clean Sweep, but i dont really like the idea of the second knob. I was searching around today and ran across this little number -> http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14160&d_Id=17612&l1=17612&l2=

With the built in equalization, would this fix some of the issues caused by our head unit trying to do its own equalization, or would it just compound the problem?

The EQS will allow you to compensate for some of the OEM eq characteristics (as well as acoustic considerations), but it will not eliminate the volume-dependent bass boost at low volumes and bass cut at high volumes that the LGT head unit produces. The only way to get around that is with a master volume knob, like the CleanSweep's.

Additionally, the CS gives you an aux input which is not equalized, allowing you to set up your system properly for both the OEM and aux sources.

The knob is tiny and you can mount it on the console where it is actually more comfortable to use (less of a reach) than the OEM volume knob.

Thanks Manville, I appreciate your reply. The idea of the cleansweep is growing on me. I meant to link to the 2 channel version. Im not presently prepared to invest in new components and a matching amp.

I just wanted a solution to my ass sounding bass. Ive got an MTX 7500 sub pushed by a Polk MOMO 500.1 amp, wired exactly the same as I had it in my Mazda 3, and the sound quality is not even in the same realm as it was in the Mazda.

I guess Ill just have to buck up and start saving for a whole new system.....

I currently have the famous Jazzy board and am planning on purchasing the Clean Sweep unit. What are the pros and cons of keeping my iPod playing through the Jazzy board vs. plugging it in to the CS directly?

I have an amp and JL speakers for the front and an amp and the Stealthbox for the rear. I still have the OEM speakers in the rear doors. Can CS be set up so that it just processes the inputs going to the amps and the input going to the rear speakers would not be processed and continue to come directly from the head unit?

Will the radio controls for treble, bass and midrange only impact the nonprocessed signal to the rear speakers?

You can run the iPod either way, Francis.

If you leave the rears connected to the factory head unit you will need to use the factory volume control instead of the CS volume so that they track with th rest of the system's volume. This means you won't be able to use the CS for the aux source and you will have to live with the volume dependent bass boosts and cuts of the OEM radio. If that's ok with you, just connect the radio's front channel outputs to the CleanSweep's front channels and leave the rear channel speakers connected directly to the radio.

The radio's tone controls will affect the whole system, including the amps and speakers running from the CS.

I just purchased a Stinger LOC (line out converter). I am just using this for a subwoofer line out. I don't care much about extreme quality, adjustability, or aux input. I am getting a remote gain control on my Xtant and will put the bass output from my CD player low. We will see what happens. It was cheap, so I can always resell the LOC if it sucks.

CasopoliS, if you get a chance can you report back and let us know how it sounds? Im currently using the high level inputs on the amp, but if using a separate LOC doesnt suck I would definitely go that route until I can afford to do a whole new setup.

CasopoliS, if you get a chance can you report back and let us know how it sounds? Im currently using the high level inputs on the amp, but if using a separate LOC doesnt suck I would definitely go that route until I can afford to do a whole new setup.

Yes, it will be a while before my system is ready. I still need to do some finishing touches on my fiberglass box, get the wire in, run the wire, etc, etc.

Manville,

Thanks for your response. A couple of follow up questions.

If I leave the rears directly off the headunit as they do not have a seperate amp, would this would require me to use the factory volume control rather then the CS volume for the entire system?

From an overall sound perspective, would I be better off simply disconnecting the rear speakers as I do not plan to replace them and add an additional amp?

Also, would there be any difference between keeping the sub amp inputs, as they now, coming off the line out from the front amp vs. having the sub amp inputs coming directly from the CS?

Yes, Francis... you would need to use the factory vol. knob if you leave any speakers connected to the head unit.

Yes, you would probably be better off disconnecting the rears.... Or, you can always put a 8 ohm 25W resistor in series with them and run them in parallel with the front speakers, too... this will quiet them down but still let them give you some output without dominating the front (no fader, though).

Doesn't matter where the sub amp gets its input... either way will work fine.

Manville,

One more stupid question. Rather then disconnect the rear speakers or adding resistors, can't I instead adjust the fader after the Clean Sweep is calibrated to lower the ouput of the rears that are running directly off the factory radio? Thanks.

If you are running the rears off the factory radio, yes you can use the fader.

The resistor approach would not be adjustable, but would drive the rear speakers from the amp allowing you to use the CS volume control for better overall sound.

If I turned the rear speakers down to a low level with the fader and left them alone, would I be able to keep the radio at the CS calibration level of 25 and then just use the CS volume control to adjust the volume of the fronts and the sub? With this approach, would the mute button on the steering wheel silence the whole system?

Or as suggested, better to either disconnect the rears or use the resistor approach?

If you have the rears connected to the radio and use the CS volume knob, the level of the rears will never change... you'll be fiddling with the fader constantly.

I would go with the resistors (or a four-channel amp) for the front/rear speakers, if you can swing it.

• 1 month later...

I had Clean Sweep installed last week. It sounds great. Definitely makes the overall sound more balanced. The Stealthbox now sounds very good where before the CS it did not sound clear.

Originally, I was going to have the knob installed in the seat heater assembly. The installers however, made another suggestion which worked out. They installed the CS knob in the plastic housing underneath the steering column.

It looks great, is virtually invisible and ergonmically it is easy to reach and very comforable.

The installers in Boston were Sound in Motion. After having problems with two other installers on other issues, I was very impressed with the shop and their work. They did what they said at the price they quoted and with no issues. I would recommend them and certainly use them again.

767116318_DSC01344(Large).thumb.JPG.e3a5c241d325dab951b9672dc1f20dff.JPG

Archived