LegacyGT.com

Routing XM antenna wire

fatbastard

I am starting to transfer over my MyFi from the Integra and I am trying to figure out the best way to run the antenna wire. I was just going to do a simple job tucking it around the rear hatch moulding then entering at the bottom but when I did this in the Integra the cable went back up a bit so any rain that may have run down would drip off and not enter the hatch. With the wagon there wouldn't be much of a bend to ensure there is no water. So as I was looking around I noticed the rubber boot for the thrid brake light, it was big enough for me to get the wire through but again I am concerned about the water getting in. It looks like it is pretty tight but obviously it is compromised to some degree. Do you think this will be a problem?

Img_0279_small.jpg.3772ef35471889bb41674aab65a63af3.jpg

well I guess I will find out today if this will be a problem...it is raining so I hope it doesn't leak. If It does I think I will try drilling a hole through the thick part of the grommet, then filling it with silicone and passing the wire through that. Well I have my fingers crossed

Huh...didn't even try sticking it to the spoiler...I just assumed it was plastic and the antenna mount is magnetic. It is very close to teh rear and I put it close to the roof rails so you really don't see it much

check this post from a previous thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=312940&postcount=19

fatbastard, I tried the above thread and wimped out. too damn hard, and like it says, you'll feel like you are going to break something. I mounted my antenna to the roof in the back by the spoiler. routed the cable underneath the gate liner in through the car and up behind the roof liner all the way to the front.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

fatbastard, I tried the above thread and wimped out. too damn hard, and like it says, you'll feel like you are going to break something. I mounted my antenna to the roof in the back by the spoiler. routed the cable underneath the gate liner in through the car and up behind the roof liner all the way to the front.

How did you route the antenna wire to the back of the car? Snaked under the carpet along the tranny hump?

How did you route the antenna wire to the back of the car? Snaked under the carpet along the tranny hump?

nope, started at the back of the car, ran it underneath the tail gate seal to the corner then behind the molding up along the headliner, down to underneath the dash on the driverside, then over to the head unit.

easy cheesy:icon_bigg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

nope, started at the back of the car, ran it underneath the tail gate seal to the corner then behind the molding up along the headliner, down to underneath the dash on the driverside, then over to the head unit.

easy cheesy:icon_bigg

Ugh. Don't you have the side airbags there?

• 5 months later...

I hope someone sees this thread since it's a little old. My 2006 Legacy has thin hard rubber around the rear window so I don't see how I can get the antenna wire under it. The molding has a channel along the center that the wire can fit into but I would have to use some type of glue or retainers to hold it in the channel.

Any idea's from 2006 - 2007 Legacy owners would really help. This is my last hurdle to jumb for my car pc installation. I plan to run the GPS usb cable inside the channel on the other side of the rear window. I live in the mountains so the antennas must be mounted on the roof for the best reception possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I hope someone sees this thread since it's a little old. My 2006 Legacy has thin hard rubber around the rear window so I don't see how I can get the antenna wire under it. The molding has a channel along the center that the wire can fit into but I would have to use some type of glue or retainers to hold it in the channel.

Any idea's from 2006 - 2007 Legacy owners would really help. This is my last hurdle to jumb for my car pc installation. I plan to run the GPS usb cable inside the channel on the other side of the rear window. I live in the mountains so the antennas must be mounted on the roof for the best reception possible.

Read this thread.........should help you out a bit.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40867&highlight=sirius+install

Are you dead-set on having the antenna outside? I have my XM antenna on the rear deck of my '06 Spec. B, and it works wonderfully. It's tucked away under the deck cover, magnetically stuck to the metal underneath, making it invisible to passer's-by and safe from would-be vandals as well. As far as I'm concerned, there's no good reason to snake a wire through any window seals.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I have the sadan. Thanks for the link but I don't think the GPS usb cable will fit under the weatherstripping because it's larger then the XM antenna cable.

I think I need it outside because there are no repeaters up in the mountains. I guess I can try it on the rear deck first and if that doesn't work move it outside.

Thanks for everyones help.

I think I need it outside because there are no repeaters up in the mountains. I guess I can try it on the rear deck first and if that doesn't work move it outside.

Thanks for everyones help.

Just like satellite TV, as long as you have a view of the southern sky, you should be able to get XM. If you live at 4,000 ft, and there's an 10,000-ft mountain to your south, you may be in trouble however. :)

Archived