LegacyGT.com

Your Recommendation for "Florida Only" Tires

SkiDaddy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='racerdave']Seriously? That kind of tread life?[/quote] Well, I've got 28K on one set already and they look and handle like new. It took 8-10K miles before the little nibs were finally worn off on the edge. That typically takes me 1 spirited drive and those things are gone. Guess it's just how stiff the sidewalls are on these things that they don't roll over. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 9 months later...
I still like these as I recomended before... Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Potenza RE050, S03 Pole Position Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ...I actually went with something different though when I upgraded my wheels and tires. I am running Nitto NeoGen's: [IMG]http://www.nittotire.com/img/img_neogen_3.jpg[/IMG] I must say so far (about 10,000 miles) I am very impressed. Very good wet & dry traction and the tire wear so far has been excellent. They are also quiet for a performance tire...the tread looks a bit funky (for my tastes) but they work well.

[quote name='Opie']I still like these as I recomended before... Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Potenza RE050, S03 Pole Position Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ...I actually went with something different though when I upgraded my wheels and tires. I am running Nitto NeoGen's: [IMG]http://www.nittotire.com/img/img_neogen_3.jpg[/IMG] I must say so far (about 10,000 miles) I am very impressed. Very good wet & dry traction and the tire wear so far has been excellent. They are also quiet for a performance tire...the tread looks a bit funky (for my tastes) but they work well.[/QUOTE] How is the pricing on these? Do they make them in the stock size?

[quote name='SkiDaddy']How is the pricing on these? Do they make them in the stock size?[/QUOTE] Yes, they do have the 215/45R17 size. $91.00 each from [url]http://www.discounttiredirect.com[/url]

Fyi, you guys, the tirerack does not choose the performance category for the tires; the manufacturers do. An excellent example is the dunlop SP9000; a great summer tire, but it's in the Max performance category, but the SP8000, also a great tire, outperforms it in the dry but it's a UHP tire. This is marketing strategy by Dunlop, not Tirerack on drugs.:D

I have about 2500 miles or so on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. I noticed an immediate improvement over the RE-92s of course, but was initially a bit disappointed in the cornering feel. They seemed a little soft and I believe that is because, as I learned from DM, that they do not have a particularly stiff sidewall. However....I have come to love the tires. I bumped up psi to 42/39 or so and they do much better now in corners. They are very quiet (as quiet as the RE-92s), have outstanding traction in both the wet and dry, and track very well. They ride so smoothly and gently over bumps, RR tracks, etc even with the bumped up psi, that it is like having a new suspension on the car. That is the most impressive aspect of the tire, imho. They are a joy on both the highway and the twisties, and very confidence inspiring in all conditions, especially in the wet. Braking is much improved on these as you would expect (I still hate the feel of the LGT brakes but there is no question, the car stops quickly on these tires - you FEEL it - and the lack of confidence I had in the LGT braking with the stockers no longer exists). I would suspect that folks who have a strong preference for a tire with a stiff sidewall might prefer something other than these...but you'll miss the soft, gentle smooth ride these tires offer. The more I ride on them, the more I love them. EDIT: BTW, I also think the tread design is :cool:

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

An interesting post. 2 questions arise: 1. At 42/39 do the sidewalls feel softer/as stiff/stiffer than RE-92s? Is initial turn in better? 2. How will tred wear be with this much pressure? Will they wear excessively in the center?

[quote name='SkiDaddy']An interesting post. 2 questions arise: 1. At 42/39 do the sidewalls feel softer/as stiff/stiffer than RE-92s? Is initial turn in better? 2. How will tred wear be with this much pressure? Will they wear excessively in the center?[/QUOTE] 1. The sidewalls do not feel significantly different than the RE-92s but turn in and cornering is significantly improved. 2. Don't know for sure. I know that max tire pressure is 50 psi. Personally, I'm more concerned with ride comfort and performance capability than tire wear. I was concerned about safety - but DM indicated that as long as you were under max tire pressure listed on the side of the tire, that it would be safe.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Archived