LegacyGT.com

Need some opinions

ANd now that Im on it. The new SL550 only comes in automatic. Like yeah, lemme drop 200 grand for an automatic sports car. OY. Ill take an auto Corvette too.

i'm going to assume you hit a 2 instead of a 1.

Test drove the LGT automatic, but bought the manual. The car was already fun with the auto, but the manual is just pure sex. I'm lucky because I don't encounter much traffic in my commute, although I have driven it around San Francisco and it was a pain in the ass. Still, I would never consider getting an automatic for a car with this much performance.

Test drove the LGT automatic, but bought the manual. The car was already fun with the auto, but the manual is just pure sex. I'm lucky because I don't encounter much traffic in my commute, although I have driven it around San Francisco and it was a pain in the ass. Still, I would never consider getting an automatic for a car with this much performance.

Good man! But you think anywhere in the bay area has truly bad traffic, bay bridge excepted? :lol: Or do you mean SF's hills, which can be tricky in a manual car without good traction (crappy tires + 2WD + stick shift definately makes for tricky steep hill starts).

I drive a stick (Volvo) in rush-hour traffic every weekday. It can actually be easier than an automatic. Just put it in 2nd gear, leave a good following distance in front of you, and let the gas pedal do all the work -- down to go faster, up to slow down using engine braking. In a typical automatic transmission you'll have to keep switching between the gas and the brake, which can get tiring. Once you try it, you'll see what I mean. The trick is not to be too aggressive in traffic -- leave a reasonable following distance and this technique will make it so easy.

As for the hills of San Francisco and so forth, YMMV. I for one actually prefer a stick on hilly roads because it's fun. Better than level roads.

Agreed about hills - as long as you have enough grip under acceleration (which the LGT certainly does with its AWD) a manual is more fun, though an auto is still easier. Parallel parking on'em can be tricky though.

But leaving a manual in gear in rush hour? You must be talking about bay area "rush hour" too! (i.e. just heavy traffic, but very rarely bumper-to-bumper outside of the bay bridge) Call me crazy but to me rush hour + stick means *praying* for when I can let the clutch fully engage in first without stalling the car. If I can keep the clutch engaged in 2nd for any significant time my left leg is in heaven!

Give yourself about 2 weeks & you will have it down pat;)

Now getting a very aggressive launch will take you a little longer to master though.

I went from a 6Mt equipped vehicle to the 5EAT for ONE reason.....driving in traffic:(

Down here even if you leave the car in second & crawl.....a never ending line of cars will cut in front of you. For all that matter if you leave more than 2 cars length in bumper to bumper traffic. You will quickly start moving backwards!

Only time I truly miss the MT is when I traveling the backroads.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention being cut off. Just waiting till there's a decent bit of room between you and the next car till you move up again doesn't work, cause before you do someone will cut you off.

Or in forum terms, commute in rush hour "FTL" :icon_tong

ANd now that Im on it. The new SL550 only comes in automatic. Like yeah, lemme drop 200 grand for an automatic sports car. OY. Ill take an auto Corvette too.

Erm, since when is the SL class a sports car? :confused: To me at least my LGT wagon is more of a sports car than any modern SL class. 4200-4600 lbs + an automatic transmission does not a sports car make. The SL class is a very nice luxury roadster, though.

Btw, all SLs have been automatics since before I was born (maybe ever?), in this country at least. Oh and as Adamaxus said the SL550 costs "only" about $100k. A bargain, I say! :D

Its just months now before a get my 2007 spec B....my question is....is drive a manual a pain in the butt?? I have never driven stick before but im def gonna learn...i live in a semi-high traffic area outside of philly....is the inconvienence of driving a manual gonna be that much of an issue??
Let's look at this objectively. Your profile says you drive an 06 Legacy 2.5i SE package and you also wrote:
im getting an impreza in a few month to learn how to drive stick so i wont kill the spec b when i get it
And, in an earlier thread, you wrote:
I just put my name on a 2007 spec B...since my mom works at the headquarters in Cherry Hill
Conclsion: It doesn't freakin matter, because your mommy will just get you another new Subaru if you don't like driving or you trash the spec.B when it arrives.

Actually if u knew ANYTHING about me you could talk but since u dont you have no clue....I pay for all the cars....yes i get a discount....but would YOU turn one down...NO....so get off my back because i pay for every penny

Good man! But you think anywhere in the bay area has truly bad traffic, bay bridge excepted? :lol: Or do you mean SF's hills, which can be tricky in a manual car without good traction (crappy tires + 2WD + stick shift definately makes for tricky steep hill starts).

I've driven in LA traffic in my LGT and it is pretty bad, but thank god LA is relative flat. In downtown SF, you get the same bumper to bumper traffic in rush hour, yet it's going up and down hill. Severe pain for my left foot. And forget about trying to parallel park in SF, I'll just pay $15-20 to park in one of the garages rather than go through that.

Lets just get the story straight because people like Jon[in CT] are just ignorant.

Im on the employee lease program....so yes i get a new car every year....because its only a one year lease (which i pay for)...when my lease is up for my 06 Legacy SE then yes im getting an impreza to learn how to drive stick...so that i can get off the employee program and BUY the 07 Spec B. ON MY OWN...

Thank you to all who didnt jump to conclusion like Jon

LA/socal definately has some of the worst rush hour traffic I've driven in, at least on the highways, which is my usual point of reference for rush hour traffic. The DC area (where I'm from) is right up there with it.

SF hills + even just moderately heavy traffic is a combo I didn't really think about though. I've yet to drive on any of the truly steep SF hills in rush hour, and I imagine they'd be pretty tricky if they got any serious traffic.

Still, I don't think that'd be much of a problem for most people. SF has pretty good public transit, at least by American standards. If you both live and work in the city you shouldn't need to drive to work. Of course if for some reason you live in the outer richmond and work down in the peninsula, well, I'm sure there's a good story behind it :)

I don't find parallel parking on SF hills to be all that bad though as long as you're used to your car's clutch. You gotta be careful and take your time, but that's all IMO.

Archived