LegacyGT.com

OEM Navi hack??

Silvspecb

A buddy of mine has a new IS 250 w/navi and he found out a couple of hacks for it. I got a spec b but the same hacks wouldn't work. Just wondering if any of you guys might know some hacks for the oem navi. Thanks

Yeah, we should be able to do the same.....it's take'n the step to figure it out, you just need to find the wire that's tied into the speedo (or where ever it is) and trick it to think it's always off.

I've tested and you can enter stuff as long as you are rolling less then 5mph...LOL

On the IS there is a hidden button on the volume screen. When you push it then it leads to another screen with different options. I was not able to do the same w/the subaru navi. He didn't have to cut any wire or modify anything.

Yeah, we should be able to do the same.....it's take'n the step to figure it out, you just need to find the wire that's tied into the speedo (or where ever it is) and trick it to think it's always off.

It's likely what you'd want to do is install a switch on the wire going from the speed signal to the navigation system. The nav systems use the speed signal for 'dead reckoning' so tracking performance could degrade if you had it off all the time. I may try that at some point on the VDC.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 4 weeks later...
the screen is the brains of the nav. on the back of it there is a standard composite video input. once you have a source playing just hit the info button below the screen to switch to video. if you hit the button to the right of the info button it will pull up the contrast, brightness, and screen size modes. it is tied into the e-brake, but not the speed sense. the wire for the e-brake is gray on the larger black plug. cutting that and sending ground to the screen side should bypass that lock out. as far as the nav is concerned cutting the speed sense wire, probaly in the same plug, might unlock the unit but have not tried it yet. i'll give it a shot tonight and get back .

I've tested and you can enter stuff as long as you are rolling less then 5mph...LOL

More than likely the navigation receives its speed signal from the "OP connector" located underneath the steering column.

If Subaru's navigation system is anything like Pioneer's, disconnecting the speed signal will not allow you to input data while moving... the internal gyroscopes sense motion and lock the menus. Also, disconnecting the speed signal will drastically decrease your positioning accuracy... to the point that the navigation is unusable in dense metropolitan areas.

If Subaru's navigation system is anything like Pioneer's, disconnecting the speed signal will not allow you to input data while moving... the internal gyroscopes sense motion and lock the menus.

While a pain in the ass for the Pioneer unit, I highly doubt that the Subaru has gyros, seeing as none of the Kenwood units ever have.

ignore him, he'll go away.

here are the pics and some more info. the wire that needs to be cut for the nav functions to unlock is green/black at the dvd drive under the driver's seat. on the road test this is how it worked.

-when you break the conn. the frozen icons will light up

-the arrow will stop moving on the screen

-@10 sec. after you breck the conn. the sat. picks up your location and the arrow will start to move again, but its choppy

-@20 sec. after you break the conn. the icons will freeze again, its figured out your still moving and locks you out.

-breaking the conn. again will bring them back

-it does'nt lock you out if your in the middle of entering a destination

this seems to work okay, not flawless but better than nothing. leaving the ant. plugged in does seem to help it repostion you quicker after it loses you.

hope the pictures help with the video input and e-brake lock outCIMG0001.JPG.047b2de66310cbd450344d7554069fd8.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG.1f81ba888777dc4b31eb761018d59042.JPG

CIMG0004.JPG.9a1b59ea15b564a8c7439d5088565f94.JPG

CIMG0005.JPG.af947403a3943e6a43cdcd102b95d688.JPG

CIMG0007.JPG.bf13baf3d2820b36d0623308e2ba48d9.JPG

CIMG0008.JPG.8b79de632362ef3e2bcf190e11051273.JPG

CIMG0009.JPG.d139eb0dc884e55208ff13cb2899915b.JPG

CIMG0010.JPG.46cec3e467c3138f968051196556725c.JPG

CIMG0011.JPG.cc7e92cb1f4f8b2464f87baf8343c811.JPG

CIMG0006.JPG.18e0a7de19bde59a96b2d5efc41b10d2.JPG

• 1 year later...

Anyone who has done the video while in motion mod please advise.

What screw are you guys using to ground the wire?

Also you cut the wire and ground the end that is plugged into the back of the navigation unit correct?

TIA,

Anthony

Archived