LegacyGT.com

What's the latest, LATEST best car wax?

OC: Been reading all the magazine ads and this forum.

Is there anything to either the "Nano" particles, or GM "teflon", as far as durability and shine? Any disadvantages?

Anything newer or better than what was on the market last year?

I've played with the Eagle One Nano products and I have to say I'm 'sorta' impressed. The latest that I have tried is their Nano Spray Wax. It does what it says it does, but the downside is that it attracts dust like a madman, streaks pretty badly, and doesn't last long (not that I thought a spray wax would). It is something I would use the day of a car show or before a date or something though. It also does a good job of filling in swirls so they don't show so much, not that a silver car really needs that kind of help.

Forget about anything with teflon actually doing much for your car. Teflon is just a fancy word unless it is applied at extremely high temperatures. It isn't going to be more durable than any other product off the shelf. I need to find a willing test subject to try a few 'OTC' products on. I'm doing a little testing with my cars right now, but I'm trying to test higher end products that typically look better and last longer than store bought waxes. I do want to compare some store bought items side by side with the high end stuff though. I just haven't had time to do it this year.

Pinnacle has come out with some new products lately, but they aren't really waxes. Their Xtreeme Machine line is interesting and I look forward to seeing if they release a sealant or wax with it. These products just came out last month. You can get them at http://www.detailcity.org.

As far as other 'off the shelf' products that have come out in the last couple months, I can't be much help. Once you have had prime rib and steak and you know where to get more, it is really hard to go back to turkey burger and spam. Ya know what I mean? The sealants and waxes that they don't sell in PepBoys and WalMart are sometimes head and shoulders above what you can get locally.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I used to use a product called BLITZ "One Grand" wax, and I feel it was one of the best products on the market. Unfortunately, the specialty store where I used to purchase it has since gone out of business, and I can't find it anywhere....

I used to use a product called BLITZ "One Grand" wax, and I feel it was one of the best products on the market. Unfortunately, the specialty store where I used to purchase it has since gone out of business, and I can't find it anywhere....

If you liked that you will love S100.

By the way isn't it amazing how many crummy products have teflon as their "special" ingredient. Like Slick50 and some of those oil additives that don't work. Teflon aka PTFE has really been abused this way.

• 4 weeks later...
It's a very durable sealant. I don't like how it looks as much as other sealants though. It is kind of a plasticy shine. I prefer the softer wet look of certian other sealants. I wouldn't have a problem using it if durability was my main concern though. If I wanted to go 3 or 4 months without waxing my car then I'd probably either put Klasse or Zaino on it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Zymol is over marketed turtle wax. I've got a jar of Zymol Vintage that I have compared to everything in my garage and I am not impressed. I'd trade it for a jar of Pinnacle Souveran any day of the week. If their top of the line $1500 wax isn't anything to shout about, then I can't imagine their cheaper $300 waxes being any better. If you spend more than $70 bucks on a jar of wax then you are wasting your money. (someone gave me the Vintage, by the way. I'd never spend that kind of money on a wax)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Interesting thread. So OCD, how long would a spray wax last would you say?

The reason I ask is because I like how easy it is to apply. I can do the whole car in no time with that thing, especially compared to other stuff I've used.

However, I've been thinking more and more about using a sealant on my GTi. On my Legacy it isn't a HUGE problem since the car is white. Its fairly easy to take care of. However, the GTi is black. Im gonna be anal about it.

I just bought it, had it clearbra'd right away and used the spray wax just to try it. The results look decent, it doesn't attract dust very much. My question is really on longetivity of it. How often should I re-spray?

For the Clearbra Im using a product called Plexus. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Spray waxes are really short term. Maybe two or three weeks if it isn't very hot and it doesn't rain a lot. They are not meant to be long term protection or appearance products. Just quick "get the car looking good for the show today" type stuff.

Plexus rocks. It is a good choice for the clear bra. 303 Aerospace Protectant would be my choice, but Plexus works too.

OCDETAILS BLOG

ok, that gives me a good idea of what to expect. Awesome. I think I will look up the Wolfgang sealant anyways. I really don't get a lot of time to sit and wax (Im always installing stuff on other cars!) so I want to maximize the results for sure.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I used to be a fan of Zaino up until recently. I used it on my RSX and gave it a really nice wet look, but when I applied it to the Leggie the results weren't as good. Different paint I guess. Thanks to OCDs website, I got myself a bottle of Wolfgangs Sealant and Polish and haven't looked back. The wetness and brilliance of the paint was just unbelievable with just 3 coats! Trust me if you want the shine and wet look that S100 gives but with way more durability, than go with Wolfgang. Hey OCD, would you know if Wolfgang is more durable than Zaino? Reason being so I know more or less when I should reapply it during the winter.

Archived