LegacyGT.com

cigarette lighter "tinkleing"

had a "tinny tinkling" noise coming from the dash for a long time.

pushing, pulling, and banging, here and there didn't' solve it.

...it turned out to be the empty cigarette lighter socket, it is loose in it's housing and the metal pieces rub each other making the noise.

for now i put the cigarette lighter back in and took away almost all of it.

I'll have to have to take the center dash apart to tighten it.

hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

for now i put the cigarette lighter back in and took away almost all of it.

hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

looks like its time for someone to buy a radar detector :D

red beast -

I have not investigated this fully in our LGTs, but in my old DSMs, from putting in countless starter-buttons, I know that the cancer-stick lighter assemblies are secured at the back/end by a nut - perhaps that has come loose and is causing the rattling when you don't have any "pressure" on the interior of the cylinder?

Again, I don't know if the assembly is the same in our LGTs - but it's pretty easy to gain access to that area so it might be worth a look-see. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...
red beast -

I have not investigated this fully in our LGTs, but in my old DSMs, from putting in countless starter-buttons, I know that the cancer-stick lighter assemblies are secured at the back/end by a nut - perhaps that has come loose and is causing the rattling when you don't have any "pressure" on the interior of the cylinder?

That's correct it's just a simple nut, fortunately it's a larger one that can be hand tightened (they even ruberized the back for us!)

Hmm for the lighter socket? is the 3.0 diff.......I know to get to our lighters in the LGT you just need to

1) Pop your knob off :D

2) Pop up the trim around it

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/STS_Install/DSC00909.JPG

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/STS_Install/DSC00894.JPG

Once you get that up, just unplug the power go'n to the lighter and play away.....or am I missing something?

Archived