LegacyGT.com

Replacing wood trim with metal finish.

mickeyd2005

I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with taupe interior. The interior is nice, but I hate the fake wood trim. I noticed that a lot of pictures on this forum show the trim as metallic.

I'm going to install Jazzy's aux input modification so I am going to have to remove the trim. Does anyone know what the part number of the metallic trim is? Does anyone want to swap?

Thanks.

Here is a picture of my interior... see the fake wood trim on the sides.

56327677-10sm.jpg.4cd882401f3fc78195fec1aba1d64013.jpg

You can easily replace the center console trim with silver (or paint it black like I did). The door trim is permanent though -- you have to replace the entire door panels because they don't sell the trim piece separately.

Thanks for the info.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your interior... Did you use a flat black paint or gloss and did you rough it up with something like 200 grit sandpaper before painting.

I looked into this, theres a few concerns, replacing the side trim on the radio is easy, part #s are

66077AG08A

66077AG09A

I beleive.

replacing your shift knob if you have automatic the easiest way is to order one with the silver metal already on it, otherwise you can peel off the wood but I wouldn't recommend that cos you gotta buy the peice anyway.. its part # appears to be

35126AG03A

now the REAL pain.. and this is an impass that stopped me.. the door panels..

your door panels have a woodgrain insert on each one of them, however this peice is not orderable.. in order to get that peice in silver you must order the entire black door panel and remove the silver part from it. I would give you part #s but I beleive the door panels are $400 each thereabouts.

hope that helps.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I looked into this, theres a few concerns, replacing the side trim on the radio is easy, part #s are

66077AG08A

66077AG09A

I beleive.

replacing your shift knob if you have automatic the easiest way is to order one with the silver metal already on it, otherwise you can peel off the wood but I wouldn't recommend that cos you gotta buy the peice anyway.. its part # appears to be

35126AG03A

now the REAL pain.. and this is an impass that stopped me.. the door panels..

your door panels have a woodgrain insert on each one of them, however this peice is not orderable.. in order to get that peice in silver you must order the entire black door panel and remove the silver part from it. I would give you part #s but I beleive the door panels are $400 each thereabouts.

hope that helps.

How much are those side trims?

I looked them up on subaruparts.com. The list is about $65 each but they are discounted on the web. Still too much money... I'm thinking about painting them and if they look terrible then I'll buy the OEM ones.

Ok, here's a pic of my black side trim. I primed, then used a satin black finish and nobody can tell it isn't stock. Without the camera's flash it is the same color as the dash.

Insert woodgrain bashing here -- I'm immune to it at this point.

http://moojohn.com/subaru/woodgrain.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Your wood looks nice. I got the same kit in carbon fiber.

I did one worse a few years back.....my wife wanted the OEM wood trim for her A4 and I finally found a guy that wanted to sell his; so I sent him an email saying how badly my wife wanted his wood! Needless to say just after I sent it I realized what I did and I felt like a douche

I did one worse a few years back.....my wife wanted the OEM wood trim for her A4 and I finally found a guy that wanted to sell his; so I sent him an email saying how badly my wife wanted his wood! Needless to say just after I sent it I realized what I did and I felt like a douche

:icon_surp

:lol:

hilarious!

If they made it a darker color wood, kind of liek the new BMW's, that would be great.

Why not try vinyl first and see how you like it, less destructive than paint.

X

---

• 2 months later...

on the same lines of this topic... my wood trim (around radio) is getting painted ABP right now... color of the car. I think it will contrast with the silver and taupe quite well. Either way... it will be better than the wood.

If it looks good I am sure the shop can tape off my doors and do them too.

on the same lines of this topic... my wood trim (around radio) is getting painted ABP right now... color of the car. I think it will contrast with the silver and taupe quite well. Either way... it will be better than the wood.

As a fellow ABP person, I would love to see pics when it's done. I've always liked the IDEA of cars with matching ext/int themes, but the execution is often so, so bad.

here are some crappy pics... but I got the painted trim pieces installed. It would be great to tape off the doors and paint those too.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42104

Archived