LegacyGT.com

Steering rack bushings

Just want to throw this out there to you guys wo have done or are planning on doing the steering rack bushings. The kit from Whiteline is designed for the STI but mostly fits the legacy. The problem is with the passenger side bushing not fitting the bracket just right. I thought that for $5 why not just get the STI bracket and have it fit perfectly.

Here's the relevant info.

The number is:

34166FE060 $4.15

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214128&chapter=ARL7591&appSectionid=51858&groupid=51858&subgroupid=2550&componentid=2324&make=32&model=Impreza&year=2005&graphicID=7591343&callout=3&catalogid=2

#3 in this pic.

7591343.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When GTBoxer and I installed these last weekend I don't remember us having a problem with the bracket fitting into the passenger side bushing. If I recall correctly when we started tightening down the bracket it mashed down in the bushing like it was supposed to. Hmm, I'll have to take a look at this sometime to make sure.

I cut about 1/8 inch off the side of my bushing bracket so if would fit into the Whiteline bushing. The bushing is definitely not made to fit the LGT. I guess Whiteline figured it was close enough, kinda poor business practice from Whiteline if you ask me.

By the way, I haven't felt any difference with this mod.

I don't autocross YET, but do plan to as soon as I get the car the way I like it. I'm mostly waiting on exhaust at this point. I'd also like to run at Road America when they have F-body days.

I didn't really feel any difference in it either, though I know that the Subaru bushings are notorious for wearing super fast and creating a lot of slop.

I don't autocross YET, but do plan to as soon as I get the car the way I like it. I'm mostly waiting on exhaust at this point. I'd also like to run at Road America when they have F-body days.

I didn't really feel any difference in it either, though I know that the Subaru bushings are notorious for wearing super fast and creating a lot of slop.

Wow.. what brakes would you run at Road America?

I guess Whiteline figured it was close enough, kinda poor business practice from Whiteline if you ask me.

Is Whiteline actually advertising this part as being for the Legacy? Last I checked they weren't.

No, its only advertised as being for the STI, but a lot of the vendors sell it as being for the Legacy as well. Which is understandable since they have the same steering rack.

Well thats the thing, right now I just have a Rotora BBK front and rear. The pads are whatever they came with (they feel somewhere between stock and street), so I'd probably have to do a pad upgrade before going out there.

Has anyone taken a good look at the steering column?

There is a plastic linkage in the engine bay close to the fire wall that has more play in it than a pimp....

I can't see these bushings helping one bit until that plastic linkage is taken care of...

i just ordered my bushings last night. once i will get ahold of gtsleeper to measureall the control arm bushings i will try to piece my own ES bushing kit. that should make the car a fun ride.

There is a plastic linkage in the engine bay close to the fire wall that has more play in it than a pimp....

I can't see these bushings helping one bit until that plastic linkage is taken care of...

I was thinking the same thing when I was doing the bushing install last weekend. Does anybody know if there are aftermarket replacement couplings with less compliance/slop?

The recent issue of Turbo Magazine says great things about the Whiteline steering bushing kit on the STi. They say it damn near makes the steering feel on the Subie on par with the Evo, which is their favorite. Does this kit have a similar effect on the legacy or does the engine bay linkage referenced above kill any improvement? Which vendors sell this STi kit?

The Turbo article also has great things to say about Whiteline's anti-lift kit for the STi. I seem to remember seeing this listed as a Legacy part too by vendors. Will it fit and work on our LGTs? Vendors that sell it?

No, there is no ALK for the Legacy.

Also , the bushings are great for the Legacy, but they do not fit 100%. I'm investigating whether a $5 bracket for the STI will fit the Legacy and clear this issue up. Maybe vendors who carry the Whiteline steering rtack bushings will also be able to include the bracket or maybe just do a group buy on them.

I didn't do my install had it done by my mechanic but I can tell you....at first whiteline bushings did feel as if it tightened the steering but the precision hasn't changed at all. I'm wondering if the plastic linkage you are referring too is causing the sloppiness. :iam:

I looked into that coupling. I think no one replaces it because its a $170 part that seems to work decent enough.

Legacy..... 34170AG021.... $169.65

Outback... 34170AG041.... $169.65

STI......... 34170FE050.... $126.86

No garuantee that the STI one is stronger, and also the u-joing might be chassis dependent.

I looked into that coupling. I think no one replaces it because its a $170 part that seems to work decent enough.

Legacy..... 34170AG021.... $169.65

Outback... 34170AG041.... $169.65

STI......... 34170FE050.... $126.86

No garuantee that the STI one is stronger, and also the u-joing might be chassis dependent.

If someone who works Subaru parts could take a look at the difference that would be greatly appreciated. I might spring for $126 if the STi part looked stiffer and it fit.

Archived