LegacyGT.com

Notchy 5speed manual tranny?

Well 2 things. I got a quote and total it would be about 2.5-3000 to swap them. Next, I'm only 16 and my mom baught the car for me. I talked to a few people and they said I could to it all for about $2.5-3000

Well, I still think that something built from the factory, will last longer, than swapping something out on your own. I don't know, I have never swapped something that big out before. One thing to consider is your warranty. Obviously, at Stage 2, you don't care all too much, but as soon as you start swapping huge things in and out, the probability that the dealer just refuses to fix anything on the car goes up. I at least would like to get my interior bits fixed without being hassled every time I go to the dealer.

I have a question though, if you swap the tranny out, does the torque split change, or stay the same.

5EAT is 40/60 (i believe, or 45/55) and 5MT is 50/50. Would you then have a 5MT with a 40/60 split?

Also, if you do go ahead with the swap, why not wait to get the 6 speed tranny out of the '07 spec b? Might be more $$, but it could be worth it.

I read so many differing reports on various oils (it made a huge difference/it didn't make any difference, it make gear noise go away/it made gear noise louder, etc.) that I just went with Valvoline 75/90 dino, GL-5 as per owners manual. Supposedly that's what the factory fill is. It didn't change the 'notchiness' at all, but I don't think the tranny's all that bad to begin with.

Oh, I'm just being rude I suppose. Nevermind.

On topic, I'd probably tend to agree with psucaptainkickass. I would assume that the center differential is going to become a factor when swapping trannies and you may be opening a can of worms that would cause more headaches than you'd have if you just got a new car. Maybe you could pick up a used MT?

I'd suggest having a conversation with whichever shop you'd plan on using to do the work to see the extend of what would need to be done. Then put together a list of pros and cons so that you can properly weigh the decision.

Get the 5-speed. I've had none of these problems over 11 months and 11K miles with my LGT MT. As I said in an earlier post, The LGT MT is certainly no worse and much better then some of the more then ten MT cars I have owned. I've never understood why someone would buy a car which has great engine responsiveness and performance and tie it down with a slushbox. I'm 55 years old and I'm not ready to do the Buick, boulevard ride, no road-feel, no driver input thing yet. I've owned too many great, fun cars over the years to veg out now...and I'm enjoying my LGT as much or more than the Datsun 240Z I bought in 1972 when I graduated from college.

i found out that my gearbox was making this grinding noise everytime i tried backing out when the car was moving forward.. after a couple more experiments, it seems obvious that there is some kind of mechanism that prevents putting gear in reverse when the car is moving forward, regardless of speed.. i now wait till my car's fully stoped then put into reverse and my gearbox is doesnt make any grinding noise or notchy anymore..

Do you think I'd be fine leaving it automatic, speed wise?
Personally, I think the tranny swap is a bad idea. I find it very hard to believe you will get it done for $3,000, and in all likelihood, your powertrain will no longer be covered by warranty. Just keep the automatic, or trade for an MT.

i found out that my gearbox was making this grinding noise everytime i tried backing out when the car was moving forward.. after a couple more experiments, it seems obvious that there is some kind of mechanism that prevents putting gear in reverse when the car is moving forward, regardless of speed.. i now wait till my car's fully stoped then put into reverse and my gearbox is doesnt make any grinding noise or notchy anymore..

Welcome to owning a Subaru 5 speed manual. Reverse can be a bitch and you might need to do the dance to get it in. If it won't go into reverse put it into first, down to second, then try reverse and it should be fine. If not rinse and repeat.

What he said. This is my 2nd Subie and I do it without even thinking now...Works every time. Something about the synchros in 1st/2nd lining the gears up so that reverse engages more easily.

If it's REALLY being stubborn grab 1st, move the car about an inch fwd and then grab reverse.

It does get much better over time...I don't have to do the dance thing anymore but I do anyway out of habit...yes my friends think I'm strange.

...Are ya suuure you did a search? :iam::icon_tong

rfd I think your right. but will the automatic hurt me in the long run. And can I do any serious upgrades to my automatic. The only thing I'm really concerned about is the difference of speed.

rfd I think your right. but will the automatic hurt me in the long run. And can I do any serious upgrades to my automatic. The only thing I'm really concerned about is the difference of speed.
What do you mean, "hurt you in the long run"? Why do you need all this speed? A stage 2 automatic is plenty fast. Are you concerned about your ability to street race with STI's and Evos, or what?:confused:

I'm 16 and i'm even happy i got something as nice as a Legacy 0_O. Already stage two damnit... Prob going to stick with Stage 0 for a lonnng time unless I start getting some money..

Why didn't you get an STi? Our cars would require alot of modding to get it to beat an Sti in corners (well coil-overs aren't cheap...)

I think the Legacy looks so much better than an STI. I can beat one on a straight away, never really got into racing on a bunch of turns. But just some Zeal coilovers and maybe sway bars would take car of that.

Why would you put a MT car in reverse when it's moving foward?

duh.. i dont meaning putting reverse when moving forward at 50MPH..

more like when u back out of a parking lot or something, u back out.. and while the car's still moving backwards a bit (from inertia), u just put in 1st and start going foward instead of having to brake and wait till the car stops completely.. same concept here, but just in opposite direction..

duh.. i dont meaning putting reverse when moving forward at 50MPH..

more like when u back out of a parking lot or something, u back out.. and while the car's still moving backwards a bit (from inertia), u just put in 1st and start going foward instead of having to brake and wait till the car stops completely.. same concept here, but just in opposite direction..

Yeah, I know what you are saying, and I've been guilty of it myself on occasion, but I think it is hard on the powertrain.

Yeah, I know what you are saying, and I've been guilty of it myself on occasion, but I think it is hard on the powertrain.

yeahh.. i would guess that it is better to not do it than to do it.. but im still not sure if it will affect my tranny THAT much..

my last car i owned, skyline R33 GTR (when i was in NZ, now im in USA), i did that ALL THE TIME and nothing never went wrong.. sometimes going backwards as fast as 8+ mph since my driveway was REALLY STEEP.. (but then again.. i only had that car for 2 years so i dont know what might've happened in the long run..) i just try to make sure i grab the clutch really well instead of burning it.. LOL

anyways.. im a lot more HAPPIER with my spec-b than the GTR.. :)

My 05 Legacy has 10k miles on it and the transmission still feels notchy at times. What gear oil are you guys using and does a change make a big enough difference to warrant the time/money?

I thought the tranny in my LGT (5MT) was pretty slick....all be it a bit notchy until today.......I just switched to Redline 75w90NS ......BIG difference.......I am talking "BUTTER SMOOTH":icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Best $40 I have spent on a car in a long time.:icon_lol:

Archived