LegacyGT.com

Got some new rims and R-comps, question about suspension

Prod

Backstory:

Well I decided I wasn't going to get new rims beacuse it was just going to be too expensive. So I went ahead and got some Kuhmo MX's off of tirerack (225/45/17). Then I spent a pretty penny to get them mounted and balanced on my stock rims.

So yesterday I went tothe NASIOC/MAIC/OT "Burn One Down" BBQ and bonfire. They had a raffle for some used Gramlights 57pros (black w/silver lip) with Dunlop R-comps. I was feeling lucky from a raffle the week before where my second ticket won me the item I wanted (sailing gloves). So I went ahead and bought 2 tickets. As consitent with my expectations, I won the rims on my second ticket. :icon_bigg

So now I'm wishing I got all-seasons on my stock rims because I wanted the Kuhmos mainly for autoXing, though now it looks like I'll just have really good street tires. I'll use up the R-comps then mount the Kuhmos to the Gramlighs and winter tires to the stock rims.

Question:

Anyways, the guys there brought up the fact that the R-comps are very sticky, and I have no suspension mods. So lots of body roll + no sliding = roof? Is this a definite risk, and what suspension mods would best fix it (preferably cheaper methods that won't make the ride too harsh)?

Well I don't think you will get the most of the R-comps with the stock suspension.. whether your car rolls over or not.. I think that is highly unlikely. You could get sway bars and springs.. that would help control the body roll a lot. I'm looking at coilovers to get the most out of my very sticky street tires.

I have the same exact tires that you have: Kumho MX (225/40/18) for the streets, and Dunlop Supersport Race (245/40/17) for track use.

If you are still on stock suspension, then even running the Kumho MX's will produce excessive body roll when compared to the stock tires. If you want to use your R compounds to their full potential, you'll definitely need at least a set of sway bars to keep the body roll somewhat in check. Sticky tires aren't much good if your suspension is too soft to maintain proper geometry.

You dont need any swaybars to use your race tires. I would run them without any mods if i could. They are going to increase braking, cornering, and acceleration by themselves. Yeah body roll sucks, but race tires are not as progressive as street tires. Running the race tires on a stock setup will let you feel the limits easier than a super stiff setup.

Hope that helps you luck bastid!!

hey, nice meeting you Saturday at the BBQ. I was the one with the LGT Black Sedan with Spec B wheels. You'll be fine running those tires on a stock car, but you will get more out of it as you increase your suspension mods too. But for now you don't have to worry about anything.

hey, nice meeting you Saturday at the BBQ. I was the one with the LGT Black Sedan with Spec B wheels. You'll be fine running those tires on a stock car, but you will get more out of it as you increase your suspension mods too. But for now you don't have to worry about anything.

Nice meeting you too. Your Legacy looked really nice. Once I figure out what kind of pay I'll be getting out of a summer job I'll try to budget in some sway bars. I don't want to do springs because lowering the car = worrying about those damn cement parking barriers.

Archived