LegacyGT.com

Test drove the Tribeca yesterday

I am helping my mother lease a new car, and she was interested in test driving the Tribeca. Off to the dealership we went.

She drove it first, and I was in the passenger side. I must say that on first impression I find the Tribeca seats way more comfortable than the LGT. Mainly because of the way the headrest holds your head. Looking around I could not help but compare the shinny metal radio pieces to those of old 80's boom boxes. This one was the limited one with Navi. I played around a little bit with it and I found it to be very nice.

After 15 minutes or so it was my turn to drive. First ting I noticed was that the feel of the steering wheel is not as nice as the MOMO one on the LGT. The leather feels cheaper and more synthetic. The driving postion was nice, and the gagues were clear, except for the odd placement of the gas and temperature ones.

Driving it felt smooth, but at some points it almost felt like it was hesitating to downshift. The power delivery was very smooth, and it felt tight and responsive.

Looking around the cabin there is a lot of good space in the inside, and I love the fact that even in the taupe interior they made the carpeting and 1/8 th of the bottom part of the interior all black. Gives it a nice contrast, and it should keep it cleaner.

BTW the Tribeca I was testing had the check engine light on, so I wonder if the power was being restricted. It had 47 miles on the odometer.

In all I found it to be a nice package, and if my mother ends up leasing it I may just have to borrow it for a few. BTW the SWP one has to be the best color combination!

X

---

Can you do $350 a month, 36 Month? We will look at it next. We went to the Honda dealership but did not test drive one yet since this happened before she decided on a SUV. We might go there today.

She looked at the highlander, and new camry, and hated both. My brother in law works at BMW and is trying to put her in a X3, but there is a 2 month wait for those, and she is not sure if she likes it yet. Also looking at the RX330, but with it being an older model, and all the problems with the headlights being stolen, and not to mention that you can't swing a dead monkey without hitting two makes it less appealing.

X

---

i test drove a tribeca about 6 mo. ago, very nice, good ride, quite, engine sounds great, even the looks are growing on me, doesn't look like every other suv, cars 30 yr.ago could be spotted blocks away, the only thing i didn't like was you could'nt see the hood, like driving a van, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

since you mentioned the RDX, another small turbocharged SUV comes into mind: mazda CX7, it starts around $25k. looks to be a decent car... first year quality might be an issue though. :iam:

The RDX is looking good, unfortunately she needs to buy in the next two weeks, and I am sure there is going to be a high demmand for the RDX, and I don't think it is out yet. Mazda to me is just like buying a Ford, a no-no.

Thanks for all the input! keep it coming.

X

---

We put $2000 down on a 36 month 36,000 mile lease on a 5 pass Limited Tribeca with Navigation, puddle lights, aero cross bar, cargo tray, auto dimming mirror and our payment is $350 per month including tax. We love ours so far. Color is Atlantic Blue with tan leather.

We put $2000 down on a 36 month 36,000 mile lease on a 5 pass Limited Tribeca with Navigation, puddle lights, aero cross bar, cargo tray, auto dimming mirror and our payment is $350 per month including tax. We love ours so far. Color is Atlantic Blue with tan leather.

Where are you???? So far the lowest we are getting is $366 with 2300 out of pocket. We may wait for the May incentivest to see how the look. We looked at the Pilot and MDX today just to check it out and it was not to her liking.

X

---

Well as of tonight it seems like she is going for it. Now is all about the delaership locationg a SWP with Taupe interior. they say there are none at the moment, but we'll see. Second choice are either the Silver or the Seacrest Green. Anybody seen the Seacrest green in real life? How does it look when compared to the SWP and Silver?

X

---

I saw a greenie recently and you gotta like green to like it. I thought the black looked best (kinda Darth Vader-ish -- with wheels the thing'd look great!!).

We are in Madison, WI. They discounted it about $500 under invoice. We originally wanted the burgundy color and they did a locate and went to get it in Northern Minn. Too bad the asshats at that dealer remove snow with wire brushes because the scratches on the paint were beyond acceptable. So we took our second choice which was the blue with tan. Originally we didn't want the nav, but for about $15 more per month it's worth it. Our dealer was running a promo for a $500 gift certificate to a local bike shop so we have it to burn too. All in all we felt like it was a steal.

Oh nice, i bet the taxes are lower over there as well. Well as of now it seems like if they can located a white with taupe then that will be first choice, if not then either atlantic blue with taupe, or white with black.

X

---

So I was looking at the Subaru website and the options for the Tribeca say that the SWP only comes with the Grey interior and not hte beige? Has anyone seen a SWP Tribeca with Beige interior? :iam:

X

---

Wel I won't be driving it (it's my mother's car) but mayb I can persuade her to lend it to me once in a while. too bad she does not want to drive stick if not I woud trade her my GT for a weekend or so.

Pickup is on Friday.

X

---

What didn't she like about it?

Lack of power mostly. I have to admit the MDX does sound great when that VTEC kicks in. Also MDX is a little nicer with a higher grade material. Also MDX is slightly larger, widest in it's class, with two car seats there is room for an adult in the second row. So, same color, same payments, but ahhh that new car smell.

Really like the brakes in the Tribe. Why can't the Legacy stop like that?

Archived