LegacyGT.com

COBB downpipe + stock exhaust + AP stage2?

ShakyJake

I know I have seen this question before but I can't seem to find it.

I have a 05 Legacy GT MT and am considering getting the Cobb catless downpipe. I have the Accessport and have flashed to Stage 1. If I get the downpipe, can I flash to stage 2 with the stock exhaust? I have no other modifications.

I read the Accessport FAQ and it seems to confirm that this is okay, but may not be "optimal". Just want to be hear people's opinions on this subject.

Thanks.

I read the Accessport FAQ and it seems to confirm that this is okay, but may not be "optimal".

Bingo. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

just a heads up there seems to be a pretty big restriction in the stock catback.

just freeing up the 2 feet past the turbo is all that really matters for stage 2 though... and it will make more than enough difference.

Speaking of stock catback though, i think i'm going to be hacking mine up this weekend to see how much restriction is actually there, and what I can do to free it up... (at least, freeing up what i can in the cans, leaving the stock y pipe.)

AP was my first mod running stage 1 on a complete stock LGT manual. Then I got Perrin UP, and AVO catted Down pipe, and decided to go up to stage 2.

IMO, even though I definately noticed the extra power, but I found the acceleration is too unsmooth compared to stage1 for everyday driving. Perhaps it does have a little to do with the stock catback exhaust.

Since then, I've gone back to stage 1 after they had a new version release, and everything is all good again. Car drives very smooth, and not as much lag at the bottom end.

I'm probably going to go with some kind of PDX tune map for a stage 1.5 or soemthing like that, since I don't have the complete turbo back exhaust setup.

Speaking of stock catback though, i think i'm going to be hacking mine up this weekend to see how much restriction is actually there, and what I can do to free it up... (at least, freeing up what i can in the cans, leaving the stock y pipe.)

This is of great interest to me, as I have previously posted my own modifications to said cans, and have multiple logs of 5.0 0-60 times on the otherwise so-called restrictive stock exhaust system. Multiple logs shared with TDC also indicate my 5EAT performance isn't suffering much, if at all.

However, now that little remains to be 'improved' upon I, too, have been wondering what if. Please perform before and after logs so that there is data other than the old butt dyno, which seems to be grossly affected by the ears.

just a heads up there seems to be a pretty big restriction in the stock catback.

What exactly is it about the stock exhaust that is restrictive?

I think it's 2.5" in the mid pipe right? Then I think it goes down to 2.25" or something like that? I'm guess it's the piping after the 2.5 section or the cans themselves?

What exactly is it about the stock exhaust that is restrictive?

i'd guess it's mostly the y-pipe and partly the mufflers but am not sure. i know someone who dyno'd a car with the stock exhaust, then an aftermarket exhaust and saw something like +20 peak hp. he couldn't believe the results, put the stock one back on, redyno'd it and lost the entire gain.

just freeing up the 2 feet past the turbo is all that really matters for stage 2 though... and it will make more than enough difference.

the only mods i've done to my 5EAT has been gutting the uppipe (was a PITA), and then midpipe and downpipe (was very easy and took a half hour). flashed to stage 2 for a week. was a little choppy, but definitely more power. then i upgraded to TDC maps. smooth all the way and hella more tq and power (per my butt dyno). after gutting the mid and downpipes, it was a HUGE difference. before that, i was just at stage 1 with my gutted uppipe.

the mid and dp cats must really really restrict. once they were gone, it was quite a big difference, even on my stage 1 map (had to drive it home and for a few days after til i could reflash to stage 2).

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

AP was my first mod running stage 1 on a complete stock LGT manual. Then I got Perrin UP, and AVO catted Down pipe, and decided to go up to stage 2.

IMO, even though I definately noticed the extra power, but I found the acceleration is too unsmooth compared to stage1 for everyday driving. Perhaps it does have a little to do with the stock catback exhaust.

Since then, I've gone back to stage 1 after they had a new version release, and everything is all good again. Car drives very smooth, and not as much lag at the bottom end.

I'm probably going to go with some kind of PDX tune map for a stage 1.5 or soemthing like that, since I don't have the complete turbo back exhaust setup.

I got my car protuned just for that not so smooth feeling. Now it's great.

Archived