LegacyGT.com

LGT vs. TSX vs. Volvo T5...my driving impressions!

[quote name='Smada']Am I the only one who doesn't like the TSX interior?? I was initially comparing the TSX and TL and the TSX just seemed cheapy. Too much plastic or something, just not that nice. I even thought the V6 Accord EX had a nicer interior than the TSX! I must be crazy![/quote] I had the same reaction, actually. Well, perhaps not as intense, but I was let down by the TSX's interior. It was well designed, but it still had that '70s lunchbox feel to it when I rapped various panels with a knuckle. Given my druthers I'd take an A4 or 3-series interior over it any day. -CW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
"[QUOTE]The car is a bit soft compared to the others. It's as it says, a GT car. 10-15% stiffer suspension would do this car wonders in the handling department. But I suspect they figure the people buying the LGT don't want that. Or they'll save that for an STI version in a couple years if the LGT does well, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Of course, the tires need to take a large part of the blame in the handling department too. With proper high performance sport tires, the suspension may very well not need to be tuned much, if at all. "[/QUOTE] The suspension is a bit soft???? Totally disagree, it was rated by consumer reports as being right on. It's not to stiff and not too soft, that's one reason why I traded in my WRX, the refined suspension. Don't mistake finely-tuned as soft... Just my thoughts and other reviewers also.

Wow, I always like when someone rehashes an old post. Invites new thoughts and responses. You, of course, can agree with the ladies of Consumer Reports, and their...cough cough.."auto reviewers". Take your car to a BMW dealer and drive a BMW 3 series immediately after throwing the LGT into a few corners. Do the same with the 3 series, and then you'll see what a "finely tuned" suspension that's not too soft, nor too hard feels like.

[quote name='Driver72']Wow, I always like when someone rehashes an old post. Invites new thoughts and responses. You, of course, can agree with the ladies of Consumer Reports, and their...cough cough.."auto reviewers". Take your car to a BMW dealer and drive a BMW 3 series immediately after throwing the LGT into a few corners. Do the same with the 3 series, and then you'll see what a "finely tuned" suspension that's not too soft, nor too hard feels like.[/QUOTE] With sport package or not? AWD or not? BMW was not part of the comparison. BMW 3 series are what all entry level luxury sedans are measured against. My point was with the compared competition and also, below are comments from R&T test between the TSX and LGT. "Subaru Legacy GT out-pointed the TSX in this test primarily because of its decidedly faster acceleration and slightly better performances in the slalom and skipdpad" "The quantitative handling data are fascinating — for what they don't show. You'll note the Subaru beat the Acura in the slalom, 64.9 mph versus 64.0 mph, significant but not exactly a thumping. And around the skidpad, they were even closer: the GT Limited's 0.79g versus the TSX's 0.78g." All this with a more pleasant ride. MY opinion...

[quote name='Bob N']With sport package or not? AWD or not? BMW was not part of the comparison. BMW 3 series are what all entry level luxury sedans are measured against. My point was with the compared competition and also, below are comments from R&T test between the TSX and LGT. "Subaru Legacy GT out-pointed the TSX in this test primarily because of its decidedly faster acceleration and slightly better performances in the slalom and skipdpad" "The quantitative handling data are fascinating — for what they don't show. You'll note the Subaru beat the Acura in the slalom, 64.9 mph versus 64.0 mph, significant but not exactly a thumping. And around the skidpad, they were even closer: the GT Limited's 0.79g versus the TSX's 0.78g." All this with a more pleasant ride. MY opinion...[/QUOTE] Bob, and you have the right to that opinion. The reason I brought up the BMW 3 series was because you "totally disagreed" that the LGT suspension was a BIT soft. I stated it needed a 10-15% stiffer version, in say a Legacy STI. As for comparing the numbers from the car mags, well that's not indicative of the suspensions. You need to drive those cars before you mention it. I'm not going to mislead anybody, the LGT is a FASTER car than the TSX and has AWD, and with those two things it allows the LGT to go through the slalom faster than the TSX. But DRIVE the TSX, it's suspension feels more dialed in, more like a BMW. There is less body roll and quite frankly a bit more confidence feeling. Can the LGT outhandle or outrun a TSX on a twisty mountain road? Of course, it has A LOT more power and AWD. I compare the LGT suspension to the GTI 1.8T Both cars handle well, but both have slightly soft suspension and it allows a decent amount a body roll, even though they hang on pretty well and post good skidpad and slalom numbers, and the GTI 1.8T actually posts slightly better numbers. But could the GTI 1.8T outrun a LGT on a twisty mountain road, again, no of course not, it has less power and it's handling is similiar. I'm not dissing the LGT's suspension, Subaru tuned it on the side of soft for sales reasons. They knew if it was too stiff, many wouldn't buy it. (One of the reasons I didn't get a WRX STI). Also to leave room for a Legacy STI version if necessary. If it's suspension is tuned 1/2 way between the current LGT and a WRX STI, that would be PERFECT!!

Well, I respect your opinion and for you the suspension maybe a little soft. For me, I think it's right on. I had a WRX and it was a little harsh (wheelbase is part of it) but tolerable. I commute 80 miles roundtrip 5 days a week and I find the Legacy "just right" for me. Of course, I'm 45 years old and I guess as you get older you get a little "softer" (He he).

My initial impression was that the LGT was too soft and that I preferred my WRX's suspension, particularly in cornering. But over time (I have 2300 miles on my LGT) I've reconsidered. I'm enjoying the softness of the ride and I'm finding that though the LGT does not corner like it was on rails like the WRX seemed to, it corners darn well. And I'm 52 and so yeah, I'm gettin REAL soft (he he he) But, I still prefer the WRX's brakes.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I didn't do any hard cornering in the Legacy- I did go through some twisty road at a decent clip though. For every day driving I think the suspension is just right. What did you think of the build quality of the Legacy? I thought the interior seemed far better built than the exterior. It's odd that you bring up the engine sound- I've heard people say the S40 engine sound a bit rough and the Legacy sounds more refined. As for space, the S40 is at a clear disadvantage, it's almost a foot shorter than the Legacy, so what do you expect? I didn't have a problem with the seats, but then again I'm pretty skinny.

[quote name='gtguy']Er...ahem. [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5012[/url] Kevin[/QUOTE] ahem...ahem...here we go again We'll just agree to disagree on this one Kevin. You have to admit that I am not alone on this issue on this forum; others prefer a different feel (more bite) and though they can be disputed, there are those not so favorable 60-0 braking distances cited by various car mags on the LGT.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='emlevins']ahem...ahem...here we go again We'll just agree to disagree on this one Kevin. You have to admit that I am not alone on this issue on this forum; others prefer a different feel (more bite) and though they can be disputed, there are those not so favorable 60-0 braking distances cited by various car mags on the LGT.[/QUOTE] Indeed. All I'm saying is that the post about the GT brakes is interesting. People can think what they want. I know that the GT's braking performance blows my pimped-out WRX brakes out of the water. And in light of what the person who wrote the post has experienced and has compared to GT's brakes to, I thought it had some relevance. Kevin

• 1 month later...
On the brakes, did you actualy just stand on the pedal, or did you press it till it felt like it was rock hard? In my experience, the pedal gets rock hard long before you run out of travel and actual stopping ablity. Once you get over the feel, the thing stops very well... a time or two atleast. On STi tires, I could brake with a STi w/o any issue, just the problem of they can do it lap after lap and the LGT warps the shit out of the rotors after one if you push them that hard. lucky in that the rotors don't hold the warp once cool... but still.

• 3 weeks later...
I purchased a Legacy GT Limited - manual a few weeks ago and could not be happier. Like [i]Driver72[/i], I drove the GT, an S40 T5 and also an Acura TSX. As I have also owned a Jetta VR6 for three years, so there is absolutely no way I could bring myself to look at another VW/Audi product with associated poor to terrible reliability record, especially at premium Audi prices. I think the TSX is a very good all around car, with the feel of a loaded-up stiffly sprung Accord. The TSX interior is also very good, but not up to VW / Audi standard. I was in fact leaning TSX when my local dealership visit intervened. A large notice on the Dealership door exclaimed that a $400 processing fee would be included on all purchases...period. My wife and I were perhaps 10 steps in the door when we were politely informed that the Acura TSX price was non-negoatiable. If the car is worth the price, then this is okay. What did it for me was that the salesman must have mentioned the fact that their service department serves Starbucks coffee ten times. Other than these distractions, the TSX is a neat package. The S40 T5 is the same, with perphaps some more quirks. The test car stalled a little on gentle acceleration (not turbo lag) and the engine service light also came on during the test drive. I am just not sure of Vovlo reliability, especially after suffering with my little VR6 over the past few years. The GT felt like a vault. I have read Car & Driver for years, and too was surprised by the panning the Subaru received after actually getting behind the wheel myself. I never would have believed I would purchase a Subaru of all things, but I have seen this refrain quite a bit in other posts on the Internet. After all is said and done, the TSX drivers in my area can go ahead and sip their expensive coffee and check themselves out in the vanity mirror, while they get a brief look at my GT twin exhaust pipes.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
the s40 was/is nothing more than a 40k$ mazda 3.

they even share suspensions.

bump

that's a bit of a stretch dude.

its like saying the slk is a XX$$ crossfire.

car for sale. PM me!

Thinking of Audi, I was at the autoshow and my Dad and I are looking at the $47K price tag on the TT 3.2, which is still not fully equipped, and I say "Man, these things got retarded expensive, the last geraion with the same options was almost $10K less." Some Audi douche sticks his two sense in and goes - "Well this is so much better than the first generation, and the best vehicle at the price. It's far superior to everything out there in the range."

Seriously, this is not the first asshat Audi employee or fan that has said to me that Audi's are superior to everything on the road.

Archived