LegacyGT.com

HeadsUp Manual Trans Owners

I had one odd incident with my wife's OBXT during a high rev. start. The clutch seemed to get stuck about 1/3rd of the way up and didn't seem to fully engage, resulting in a massive attack of "clutch stench." Had me worried, but it's not recurred in another 7K miles.

My own LGT clutch often seems to feel a bit different "different" from time to time in that it seems to engage later in the throw than at other times, but other than that, so far (5.5K miles) no issues.

I hate my clutch. It catches way too early. Only the expirienced driver can pilot it. Everyone else fails miserably. It hasnt been a year yet since i got it. Wonder if they would still adjust it for me?

I dislike the long engagement of the clutch and asked the dealer to adjust it but they told me it wasn't adjustable since it's a hydraulic clutch. Don't know enough about it to argue with them. Could a dealer be right, for once?

tintinet, you just described what I would very occasionaly felt with my clutch and one day out of the blue, it just went big time.

Well, I hope that's not in store for me, but, OTOH, I don't plan on babying the clutch, either. I beat on my 02 WRX through Cobb stage 2 for 60K miles without any issues. If the LGT clutch blows, hopefully warranty will cover it; if not, I still feel I've already gotten my money's worth of thrills out of this one! :icon_twis

Ok I had something wierd happen to be the other day but i thought it was just me. I was being an idiot and I decided to impress my friend and maybe myself as well and I revved it up to about 4500rpm and proceeded to launch the *itch. Now my buddy and I used to do it in his WRX with no problem what so ever you just slip bearly enough to keep from bogging it down. However my car decided to hold the clutch only a third of the way out. I acctually took my foot off the pedal and it was just stuck there with the gas pedal mashed. I wanted to cry cause I held it for a second or two at first thinking I was just getting some wheel spin cause I just got out of some mud and was in a lil sand that was on the road.

So basically I roasted the hell out of the clutch and it smelled something awful. So are you telling me here that it wasn't entirely my fault?

I know there is no way in hell I'm gonna launch her again it was just dumb.

I know I will leave this cute lil story out if I talk to the dealer but should I bring it in?

please give me info.

Dunno. As I wrote above, the same thing happened to me while I was driving my wife's OBXT, but that was thousands of miles ago, and the clutch works better than ever since then.

anyone try stop and go traffic on a hill and not get any clutch stink?

it's a workout.

Yea, I do it all the time, and have no problems. I typically hang the clutch right after it starts to engage for part of a second, with never more than mid throttle and typically less, and then let it out the rest of the way. I've had no problems. The clutch feels different in this car compared to my others, but it's really not hard to drive at all, at least in my car.

• 5 months later...
Ok I had something wierd happen to be the other day but i thought it was just me. I was being an idiot and I decided to impress my friend and maybe myself as well and I revved it up to about 4500rpm and proceeded to launch the *itch. Now my buddy and I used to do it in his WRX with no problem what so ever you just slip bearly enough to keep from bogging it down. However my car decided to hold the clutch only a third of the way out. I acctually took my foot off the pedal and it was just stuck there with the gas pedal mashed. I wanted to cry cause I held it for a second or two at first thinking I was just getting some wheel spin cause I just got out of some mud and was in a lil sand that was on the road.

So basically I roasted the hell out of the clutch and it smelled something awful. So are you telling me here that it wasn't entirely my fault?

I know there is no way in hell I'm gonna launch her again it was just dumb.

I know I will leave this cute lil story out if I talk to the dealer but should I bring it in?

please give me info.

I now have had this happen to me twice. The first time, I concluded I hadn't put the stick into 1st gear properly, or it was some other driver error. But then, it happened to me again last night. And, boy the stench was INSANE. So, is my clutch going, or is this just "what happens" when you try to do an aggressive move from stand still (ie launch)? Is there some mechanical set up that prevents the clutch from engaging if the tach is high (4k rpm) to prevent clutch destruction?

In the BE/BH there is a much larger jump in ratios between first and second than there is between the other gears. So, second gear always "feels" off. I am unsure of the new gen however but would think that is what you are relating to. I have a '02 GT with the 5MT and 2nd gear really takes away from the car. It has Mutol 300 in it now which help greatly. Still never really smooth, my old unrebuild M-21 shifts smoother.

I use the parking brake when driving on hills. Clutch release as parking brake release. No drift back and no over rev.

As for the high rev with no release????? I wonder if it has something to do with the dual mass fly wheel. If the pedal is not releasing all the way there must be an mechanical over-ride in the system to keep it from engaging. Anyone have a diagram of the clutch disc itself?

Peace,

Greg

Archived