LegacyGT.com

HeadsUp Manual Trans Owners

If you have a MT LegGT and have had any odd "intermitant" clutch slip or odd feel to clutch, be sure to get it on your service record.

I love my 2005, LegGT/Ltd wagon MT, but it has had a strange slip issue that only happened a few times since it was new. Dealer told me no problem.

At 22K miles, I put clutch in and it stuck to floor. I used engine revs to get back into neutral, then second and I limped to a safe pull off about 3/4 mile down road with clutch burning all the way. Lucky it happened just before I started to leave last town for 200 miles in high California desert.

Subaru is fixing it on warrantee, but they tried to send me to a dealer that made no sense. They tried to send me from Bishop CA to Fresno CA. (72 mi. as the crow flies). Only problem is the Sierra Nevada Mtns, higher than the Rockies and all road passes closed till June or July. Actual route Fresno was 420 mi. I agreed to pay for 25 miles of over distance and got Subaru to agree to send twords my home vs sending my car 200 miles in the opposite direction.

Just be sure to get on record if you have had any odd clutch issues. My Subaru is my third MT and past BMW MT trans was like new when I traded it in at 47k. I love my Subaru better than my BMW and hope this is just a unique failure.

I have a new clutch from Spec.. Hopefully it will be on within a couple weeks. I cant wait! In my opinion the stock clutch sucks. When I get the new one on I will post up something..

My build date is arond Nov. 7, 05. Car not here so cannot check, but within a few days.

Dealer said he has only seen two clutch replacements, before mine on LegGT MTs. I have the ShortShifter and think it improved the feel.

If you have a MT LegGT and have had any odd "intermitant" clutch slip or odd feel to clutch, be sure to get it on your service record.

I love my 2005, LegGT/Ltd wagon MT, but it has had a strange slip issue that only happened a few times since it was new. Dealer told me no problem.

At 22K miles, I put clutch in and it stuck to floor. I used engine revs to get back into neutral, then second and I limped to a safe pull off about 3/4 mile down road with clutch burning all the way. Lucky it happened just before I started to leave last town for 200 miles in high California desert.

Subaru is fixing it on warrantee, but they tried to send me to a dealer that made no sense. They tried to send me from Bishop CA to Fresno CA. (72 mi. as the crow flies). Only problem is the Sierra Nevada Mtns, higher than the Rockies and all road passes closed till June or July. Actual route Fresno was 420 mi. I agreed to pay for 25 miles of over distance and got Subaru to agree to send twords my home vs sending my car 200 miles in the opposite direction.

Just be sure to get on record if you have had any odd clutch issues. My Subaru is my third MT and past BMW MT trans was like new when I traded it in at 47k. I love my Subaru better than my BMW and hope this is just a unique failure.

Yikes,

That last desert town wouldn't happen to be Ridgecrest, would it?

Sorry to hear about your clutch issues.

Also, completely off topic, but I take it you're from Bishop? If so, you wouldn't happen to have an Atlantic Blue Pearl sedan with an American flag sticker on the rear driver's side quarter window?

-Jim

I hate my clutch. It catches way too early. Only the expirienced driver can pilot it. Everyone else fails miserably. It hasnt been a year yet since i got it. Wonder if they would still adjust it for me?

I understand what you are saying. I have driven manuals my whole life. I had an 02 leg gt MT5, which I drove for 118,000 relatively troublefree miles, but it was like I had never driven a manual before. I never got used to the clutch.

I traded this in recently for an 06 Spec b. The clutch is much easier to use in this newer car.

I hate my clutch. It catches way too early. Only the expirienced driver can pilot it. Everyone else fails miserably. It hasnt been a year yet since i got it. Wonder if they would still adjust it for me?

+2 I've got 20 years now driving MT's exclusively, and after 24k miles in the LGT I still struggle to shift smoothly, especially when driving moderately aggressive. Not saying it's *that* bad, just that it could certainly be better.

What's different about the Spec b clutch???

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

No, I am not from beautiful Bishop (a really nice little town), I am from San Marino CA,(next to Pasadena/Rose Parade). I was on my way home from 5 great days of skiing in Mammoth. I drive a silver, 05 LegGT/Ltd, MT, "wagon" with High Perf tires and I love the car. I love everything about it including the clutch, once you get used to it. The weight is great, the travel to catch point is odd, but becomes normal. I love the simplicity of the controls. Sport seats are fantastic and are holding up like new. Passing power, torque range, handling, good looks, this car is great.

Too bad not enough other people bought MT/LegGT Wagons and too bad Subaru does not want my continued business. Legacy Sport wagons are no more. No hope for a Spec B, no hope for a Sti, just grocery haulers.

I consider Lone Pine the last town before Mojave becuase Ridgecrest is sort of a detour, but you are right, the gateway to China Lake is a major town just off Hwy14/395 junction.

Interesting to hear my clutch failure is not unique.

Just got my car back from Lancaster Subaru with entire new clutch assembly. Interesting news is that the tech said the clutch plate was broken in four places. How does that happen unless it is a defective part?

New clutch travel and sensitive 2nd gear is all the same, BUT the clutch is much softer than original and reverse is as easy as forward gears. I played with it a few times just make sure and the reverse is like any other gear now.

I have the Short Shifter installed and it does not seem quite as notchy with the new clutch.

My loaner car was a little Susuki that really made me appreciate getting back into my LegGT.

So, I say again, if you are having any odd experience with your clutch, get in the service record. Suby took care of my problem, no questions asked, including 173 mi towing and four days of rental car.

Gumby, I respectfully disagree about putting this in the warantee thread. The issue here is not how Subaru supported, but a heads up to owners that any odd clutch behavior may be significant and to find out how widespread this problem is. IMHO

SLegacy99, is your car still under warantee? Mine is. Good luck.

My wife drove my LegGT last night and could not believe how easy reverse is to use now. Like any other gear. Very different than first clutch.

So happy to back in my LegGT. Fits like a glove, a real drivers car, a point and shoot device that does only what you tell it to do very precisely.

Luv it. :lol:

What I don't like is the long clutch pedal travel.

LOL Try driving an A4. My wife always complains about switching from our GT to our A4 and back again. She stalls the GT every so often because the A4 clutch lets out so high.

I like the GT clutch better because it there is more room for slip, and I can make smoother shifts under hard acceleration. :icon_lol:

SLegacy99, is your car still under warantee? Mine is. Good luck.

No and I wouldnt expect them to cover it. However when I call SOA I do expect them to admit to their problems and they have told me twice now that they dont know what is going on and that Im the only one with this problem. Bull.

LOL Try driving an A4. My wife always complains about switching from our GT to our A4 and back again. She stalls the GT every so often because the A4 clutch lets out so high.

I like the GT clutch better because it there is more room for slip, and I can make smoother shifts under hard acceleration. :icon_lol:

Agreed - I *hate* clutches with long travel or a high engagement point, and VW/Audi clutches usually have both! Add in their traditional long throw shifters and you've got a killjoy of a manual transmission. They seem to have gotten a lot better with the 2005.5+ A4s though. The 2006 I drove's clutch and shifter were only average, but that's a major improvement.

Archived