LegacyGT.com

New rota Tarmac 3 (another prodrive replica)

Mines

guys, relax. it's not just rota. there are tons of wheel companies that make wheels that look alike.

montegi racing 7

ALT "Seven"

Advan Model 7

Koennig Tantrum

they're all the damned same! it's not just rota, its' the entire industry.

dR

+1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miles. Yes, I do belive Rota copied the deisgn. That's what they do. They copy wheel designs, and do a good job at it. Sometimes their design is lighter than the original. But, there are differences that if you look closely you can see. They are there, bigger on some than others. What I was saying is if you cant tell then get the cheaper ones. Thats what I plan to do. I have a set of Work Emotion wheels and people keep asking me if they are Rotas. I like my Works, but I think i would like a set of beater style wheels too.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 20062:05 PM

To: sales@bbs-usa.com

Subject: Rota Copy of BBS RE Wheel

Hello,

My question is:

- is there a copyright/patent on the BBS RE wheel design?

- why can Rota sell the "Formula Mesh Wheel" which is a copy of the BBS RE wheel?

- look at the Rota wheel http://subydude.com/osc/product_info.php/cPath/220_21_158/products_id/262?osCsid=2943873cfccca6ace98d0f8ec1fa3e9c

---------------

Thank You!

Doug

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 20065:54 PM

To: Miles

Subject: RE: Rota Copy of BBS RE Wheel

Hi Doug,

We've seen the Rota wheel (and others, Aghhhh!). We forward them

to our attorney to go after them. You can have a wheel design that's

close but there has to be a certain percentage of the wheel that's

different. That one looks like they made a mold from our wheel!

Copies, they drive us crazy! Thanks for the e-mail.

Regards,

Michael Cox

BBS of America, Inc.

5320 BBS Drive

Braselton, GA30517

770/967-9848

800/422-7972

Fax 770/967-9866

michael@bbs-usa.com

www.bbs-usa.com

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

wouldn't it depend on the copyright laws where they're made? i mean, in china.. there really aren't any, so it's like bootleg heaven. i'm sure the phillipines is the same, but i could be wrong

I believe Rota has a factory in the Phillippines but regardless, i don't think you can copyright a design. I mean they're still selling it...and you have lots of companies out there making aftermarket replacement body parts and such. I don't see how a wheel design is any different if other companies can copy parts of a car and sell it.

Somethign about these Rota wheels that they just look bland, either their paint or whatever they use to coat the wheels.

Nowadays, people patent everything, and the patent office can't review all the applications to see if they merit a patent. Hence, by default, the patent is approved. Then it is up to the patent holder to enforce the patent. If in trial they cannot show their copyright was valid (ie, their patented design was different and significant enough to warrant patent protection), they will lose their patent infringement lawsuit. Voila! I am a now a patent attorney. All bow down to me (except my wife....and cat....oh, and the little turds my cat leaves all over the house...).

hmm, if they were 18x8 i would be interested

As someone above stated,

Tarmac III's are 18x8. That is the difference between them and Tarmac II's,

They look the same. II's 7.5" wide, III's 8"wide

wouldn't it depend on the copyright laws where they're made? i mean, in china.. there really aren't any, so it's like bootleg heaven. i'm sure the phillipines is the same, but i could be wrong

they wouldn't be able to legally sell them in the u.s. though, which they do. there are slight differences that allow them to "copy" other companies' original designs. normally it bugs me, but rota has really catered to the subaru market with hubcentric wheels ....... something most of the high end companies have not done.

they wouldn't be able to legally sell them in the u.s. though, which they do. there are slight differences that allow them to "copy" other companies' original designs. normally it bugs me, but rota has really catered to the subaru market with hubcentric wheels ....... something most of the high end companies have not done.

BBS, SSR, Volk, Prodrive, ASA ....etc all make Subaru hubcentric wheels.

For example, China bootlegs all sorts of Microsoft software. Microsoft can't go after them in China but if the software is sold in the U.S. they can go after the seller.

The fact that the Rota Formula Mesh is a 18 x 8 instead of 18 x 8.5 like the BBS RE S203/204 is most likely percentage enough.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 20065:54 PM

To: Miles

Subject: RE: Rota Copy of BBS RE Wheel

Hi Doug,

We've seen the Rota wheel (and others, Aghhhh!). We forward them

to our attorney to go after them. You can have a wheel design that's

close but there has to be a certain percentage of the wheel that's

different. That one looks like they made a mold from our wheel!

Copies, they drive us crazy! Thanks for the e-mail.

Regards,

Michael Cox

BBS of America, Inc.

5320 BBS Drive

Braselton, GA30517

770/967-9848

800/422-7972

Fax 770/967-9866

michael@bbs-usa.com

www.bbs-usa.com

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

+1

Instead of all this yak yak yak you went straight to the source.

The BBS RE wheel comes in 18x8.

As the BBS guy said “That one looks like they made a mold from our wheel!”.

Maybe I should contact Prodrive.

I'm all for the real thing and all...but what's wrong w/ having a cheap alternative? I don't mind having a similar look for about the price of ONE of those rims...call me cheap, frugal, smart w/ my money, whatever...

Don't you guys send Rota out of business before I can pick up some rims now! Complaining about cheap wheels...what has this world come to?:lol:

Disclaimer: I know you guys are just making some points, discussing patents and such and not shooting down cheap wheels, well some of you may be, but this is more of a "lighten up the mood" type post.

Why would you go about contacting BBS or Prodrive. The only reason why rota wheels exist is because some people can not afford the real deal. I dont think that people the people who have bought the real deal rims should not feel threatened by copied rims since there are minute differences that really stand out when you see it in person. Plus, emulation is the ultimate form of flattery.

copyright laws are in place for a reason ........ to protect the people/company that come up with an idea and do the r&d.

Rota is not going out of business because I assume they change the design enough so as to not have to worry about losing lawsuits to the companies they copy.

The spokes on the Tarmac III are constant width

and curve in a bit ( a lot like the G-forces )

The spokes on the Tarmac IIs are tapered and

flush mount with the wheel edge ( much nicer imo )

Tarmac II

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/rota/Tarmac2/tarmac2_steelgrey_detail2.jpg

Tarmac III ( post #382 )

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898850&page=16&pp=25

As someone above stated,

Tarmac III's are 18x8. That is the difference between them and Tarmac II's,

They look the same. II's 7.5" wide, III's 8"wide

Post # 382 is the G Force, not the Tarmac III.

At least that's the way I read it.

The spokes on the Tarmac III are constant width

and curve in a bit ( a lot like the G-forces )

The spokes on the Tarmac IIs are tapered and

flush mount with the wheel edge ( much nicer imo )

Tarmac II

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/rota/Tarmac2/tarmac2_steelgrey_detail2.jpg

Tarmac III ( post #382 )

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898850&page=16&pp=25

who gives a shit??

if you dont want it, dont get rotas

buy bbs and spend a lot more cash

and stop crying about it

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

The BBS RE wheel comes in 18x8.

I think we all know that. HOWEVER, the 18 x 8 RE is rounded in the center area where the S203/204 RE is 8.5" wide, has sharp edges in that area, and is the only one with those sharp edges.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Why would you go about contacting BBS or Prodrive. The only reason why rota wheels exist is because some people can not afford the real deal. I dont think that people the people who have bought the real deal rims should not feel threatened by copied rims since there are minute differences that really stand out when you see it in person. Plus, emulation is the ultimate form of flattery.

+1

Archived