LegacyGT.com

Please, No more MPG Threads Using the Computer....

OK, after watching the hissy fits, I tried it myself.

computer indicates 26.7 mpg for the tank full. odometer reads 382.7 miles for the tank full. Gas pump reads 14.977 gallons to refuel (to first click, just like last time, so no "top off" errors).

math method yields 25.55 mpg.

result is computer is precise to 0.1 mpg, yet only accurate within +- 1 mpg.

good enough for every day use, once I check few more tank fulls to assess the repeatability of the computer.

As we all know (those of us in the quality management world) the degree of acceptability or utility of data is measured by the indicators of precision, accuracy/bias, representativeness, comparability, completeness and sensitivity.

Or just post your thoughts on this forum, and receive immediate feedback...

Actually, I believe that. 25.5 real world calculation vs. the computer at 26.7. That is what I would expect on a good constant speed highway cruise.

It’s the reports of over 30MPG for limited segments of travel that I don’t believe. I believe that the computer is reading that way I just don’t think the car is that efficient.

I know the instantaneous MPG readout goes south really fast when the accelerator is depressed even to maintain speed. Now I also know that using cruise control with your foot off of the accelerator IMPG isn’t nearly as active. But the car sill needs to keep going.

Do you really believe that the car is 20% to 50% more efficient using cruise control or, just maybe, there is a fault in the data?

Hey, if all of the guys posting 30MPG + stats are getting that GREAT! More power to you

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had my lgt for a bit over a year now. Around town driving, which is some highway, but mostly stop and go city roads, I consistently get around 22 mpg (yes the computer said so). I DON'T accelerate slowly, but I don't beat on the car either.

On the highway and long back roads crusing around 60 to 65 and 70-75 on the highway, I get at least 27 mpg. MOST of the time when I am crusing it is closer to 28 mpg. This is without cruise, and I speed up to pass people (no downshifting). I just drove 5 hours to NY on backroads and highway, and I had a reported 28.4 mpg from the comptuer and that was on a half of tank. This is what I typically get. Maybe a bit lower when it is cold vs. warm, but not much.

Is this rare? How do you guys get only low 20's on the highway???

I am not complaining in the least. I think the mileage is ok and I just paid 44 bucks to fill my tank (fuel light was on).

Long-term variance between manually calculated total miles/total gallons and trip computer = 0.7 mpg. Includes two very different driving styles - my wife stays below 3000 rpm, I always stay in boost. This thread = much ado about nothing.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

There are 3 categories of people browsing thsi thread.

1) Those who waste time and shouldn't be reading it in the first place. They do not contribute anything.

Those who think the Legacy is a race car and should be driven flat out and make the most out of the turbo. Horse POWER to you people. They are the ones that complain about the fuel economy, and do not believe the car can achieve 30 mpg.

3) Then there are those who treat the Legacy as the real car it is. A family sedan with sporty qualities. They may occasionally mash the throttle but by and large they drive it - not necessarily slow - but certainly more in line with its intended purpose. They are the ones who report high mpg returns, achieve consistent fuel consumption, whether caluclated by the trip computer or the old-fashioned way.

I personally reset the trip meter B at every tank-full. And every now and then I do the manual paper calulation. Trip meter is always within1 mpg of the real fuel consumption. After 200 miles...any short term gains or low efficiency have averaged out...and if I get 22 mpg average on the trip meter then WTF it really is 21 real life MPG in the city ! I have said it time and again...it takes effort, patience and self-control to achieve such MPG...such as shifting before 2500 and never getting into boost. But it can be done and I can do it any time i want.

There is another guy in here...Nighthawk CL9. We went to a Subaru meeting in the centre of the Universe Schaumburg IL. Some 20 miles from Chicago. Skeptikal of my fuel economy...he told me to reset the trip meter, and he will follow me there. After all was said and done, me controling the pace, me standing still 4 minutes at a tollway booth cause my freaking transponder did not open the gate automatically, after I was accelerating to catch up with him (lack of coordination - he kept going)...guess who came on top with ~ 4 mpg difference in fuel economy ? NO It was not him. The difference between cars would be some suspension work on his, different tints on mine etc.

People who do not believe the Legacy can be reasonabbly fuel efficient...really treat it like their personal race car.

So, if you're pacing with another GT, and yet you are still getting 4 MPG better mileage, perhaps there is a difference between the two cars even though they are identically equipped. It seems by and large that the majority of us are getting around 21-22. But then there are a few who are getting 26-28. There must be something about these cars that helps them get better mileage. Variations in the O2 or MAF sensors, some oddity in the way the ECU is tuned, freer flowing cats, difference in valve timing....who knows. My question is, have any of you folks who are getting higher than normal mileage done any data logging? Perhaps we could learn what makes your vehicles more efficient and the entire community could benefit as a result.

The difference in mileage isn't the cars. If that were the case, I'd be driving two different cars. I have achieved fairly solid mileage, and then I normally get about the average 21-22 mpg reported around here.

There was about 4,500 miles where I averaged about 25.5-26 mpg (trip computer reading 26.4-26.7 mpg) last summer (from 10,000 miles when "trip b" reset to '0' until the time I installed the AP! :D )

I just drove real conservatively, stayed out of boost, accelerated slowly and didn't romp on the car at all. It pissed my friends off when they rode with me because they were frustrated I wasn't taking advantage of the car's full abilities.

So, the difference between two cars' mileage driven at about the same speed is probably shift points. Drive right and you can keep this car under 2500 rpm easy (and on flat sections of freeway in stop and go traffic, I've been known to keep it under 2000) and it will yield much higher mileage.

While I rank in the first category as I am not so much wasting time but amazed at the fact that what you say may be well and true...but it seems that you mistook this thread for one that was supposed to care about mileage achieved while in and LGT...have a gander at the title and maybe your point might be more to the original poster's point!

If you want good gas mileage you should have bought the Legacy (Regular) ...TDI or maybe even an Echo! The LGT is all about having fun and rippin' it up in full sleeper mode!

There has been many a time that I encounter those left behind on the highway who say...what is that anyway? That's why I bought this car and I am sure many others did the same...!

I also hasten to say that those anal fuel consious members who drive an LGT are a bit in the minority here...kind of hypocritical in a way don't you think?

Thoughts ... I am sure are on their way!

There are 3 categories of people browsing thsi thread.

1) Those who waste time and shouldn't be reading it in the first place. They do not contribute anything.

Those who think the Legacy is a race car and should be driven flat out and make the most out of the turbo. Horse POWER to you people. They are the ones that complain about the fuel economy, and do not believe the car can achieve 30 mpg.

3) Then there are those who treat the Legacy as the real car it is. A family sedan with sporty qualities. They may occasionally mash the throttle but by and large they drive it - not necessarily slow - but certainly more in line with its intended purpose. They are the ones who report high mpg returns, achieve consistent fuel consumption, whether caluclated by the trip computer or the old-fashioned way.

I personally reset the trip meter B at every tank-full. And every now and then I do the manual paper calulation. Trip meter is always within1 mpg of the real fuel consumption. After 200 miles...any short term gains or low efficiency have averaged out...and if I get 22 mpg average on the trip meter then WTF it really is 21 real life MPG in the city ! I have said it time and again...it takes effort, patience and self-control to achieve such MPG...such as shifting before 2500 and never getting into boost. But it can be done and I can do it any time i want.

There is another guy in here...Nighthawk CL9. We went to a Subaru meeting in the centre of the Universe Schaumburg IL. Some 20 miles from Chicago. Skeptikal of my fuel economy...he told me to reset the trip meter, and he will follow me there. After all was said and done, me controling the pace, me standing still 4 minutes at a tollway booth cause my freaking transponder did not open the gate automatically, after I was accelerating to catch up with him (lack of coordination - he kept going)...guess who came on top with ~ 4 mpg difference in fuel economy ? NO It was not him. The difference between cars would be some suspension work on his, different tints on mine etc.

People who do not believe the Legacy can be reasonabbly fuel efficient...really treat it like their personal race car.

No Johndas. You have it all wrong.

When I do want to waste fuel...I certainly do it with the Legacy. That being said, I see no point in wasting fuel at every traffic light, every stop sign or smacking every idiot who tries to race me. Don't know about you ...but for me the Legacy GT is just a nice fast family sedan...not my personal sleeper race car.

Hahaha...True enough...true enough!

Hey I am all with you for sure...but as a 38 year old Realtor who has been driving SUV's for 14 years I just can't bring myself to taking it easy when not taking it easy is so much freakin' fun!

You think that your gas prices are high...ha...! Believe me there are days when I wish that I had just got the Legacy "Light" so I would never be tempted! But it's just so much fun!

I just thought that it was funny that this thread was heading down the exact trail that is was against in the first place!

All I can say is thank god I didn't buy the S4 Avant I had the deposit on...now that would have been a costly vice!

Lovin' my LGT

Johndas over and out!

Archived