LegacyGT.com

Capacitor draining battery?

Guest JessterCPA

Guest JessterCPA
Hey folks! Can a "stiffening capacitor" drain your battery? How do one of these get installed. I have a problem with my Brother's Civic's system and am looking for help. Thanks in advance!

A capacitor shouldn't drain your batt. All it does it prevent the system from yanking amps from the batt at one time...ie..bass hits and your lights dim momenatily. Might want to get the alternator checked. If your running a large system you might want to upgrade the alternator to keep up with the power strains on the battery.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Guest JessterCPA
OK. Thanks. The thing that intrigued me was the digital meter on the capshowed a voltage level, that over time, would drop. Eventually the battery went dead & the car woudl not start. And the stereo wasn't even on! :(

Unless there is a bad connection somewhere, I don't see how a cap could drain the battery.. I had a capacitor in my last car, and it seemed to help a bit. You still need to make sure proper wire size is used and it still would be a good idea to get a better battery and maybe alternator.

Archived