LegacyGT.com

Where are you getting your tires mounted?

JuxtaGT

So, The Tire Rack obviously has the best deals/prices. But, you have to pay to get them mounted/balanced locally. The example here is that I'm after 225/40ZR18 GY Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

TR has them for $182, so $767.40 shipped. America's tire has them for $201, and all bought and mounted/balanced: $932.

Most places I've talked to want $40 a wheel to mount and balance if you don't buy from them. So, if I buy from TR plus $160 labor is $927 all said and done. Basically a wash.

I talked to Costco today, but they will not mount tires anymore, unless you buy from them, but they used to charge like $45 to mount and balance.

So, anybody around the Bay Area know of a place that can do a mount and balance for a reasonable rate? $40 a wheel/$160 seems steep to me if I'm bringing the wheels in off the car.

I usually go to Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley (you can have your tires shipped directly to them). I've been going to this place for 3-4 years for alignments, corner balancing and track tires; they do good work all around.

Price for mounting?

Thus far, I've found the best/quality install price to come from the Bridgestone/Firestone place on San Antonio in Mountain View. They want $118 out the door with new stems, wheel weights, etc. It breaks down to start at $23 a wheel.

FYI, stay away from Sears. They are scary, the guy behind the counter had no idea what he was talking about. They won't mount tires unless you buy from them.

+1 for Roger Krause Racing

Went in today for corner weighing and a 4-wheel alignment (after my Cusco coilovers were installed last week). Friendly staff, and they will setup the car any way you want it (or you can leave it up to them). I let Brandon decide what would be best (weekend car and 4-5 track days per year). I ended up with about -1.7 camber in the front, and about -1 in the rear. ~0 toe all around.

The whole process took around 1.5 hours, as Brandon only had to fiddle with one corner to get the car to where he wanted. As such, he reduced the final price from the estimate. I also received several sheets of paper denoting corner weighing and alignment results (both before and after).

I'll definitely be going back. :)

-Mike-

^ Custom Alignment is right down the street from me at work. They did the alignment on my car after the iON springs went on. They'll be doing it again with the MR coilovers coming in.

+1 for expensive, they do it right though.

Will call A.I. in Milpitas.

Found out the Bridgestone place is owed by a local racer and has a pretty good rep.

Thanks!

if you find out a place in MV to mount and balance tires let me know too. My guy at Sunnyvale Wheelworks no longer works there, so I am looking for alternative also.

My real issue isn't so much about cost, but mounting techniques. Not too many ppl care about your wheels when they mount, and I had to stop someone from clamping down on my polish lip before.

Wheel Techniques in SJ charges about 20 each. They do a great job since wheel refinishing is their core biz, so they know how to handle wheels. But since they are not open on the weekend, it sort of limits my option...

I have been working with the guys at Auto Innovations in Milpitas for 5 years now, they are great. When I lived in Sacramento I used to drive down and have them do all my tires and wheels. When I drove from Texas to Oregon I stopped by and had them throw on a set! I have always purchased my tires from them so I have no idea if they will just do a mount and balance.

Also since they work closely with subydude they have great prices on Rota wheels :)

http://www.autoinnovations.com

408-596-8004

Jarrad

It was about 68 for 4 tires mounted balanced on the g/f's vibe at the local NTB, not sure if you have one of those around, but they dont mind you bringing in tires.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

There are places local that will mount & balance for like $50, IF you buy the tires from them. But, $50 more a tire to start with kinda negates any benefit of that.

• 1 year later...

To the top......I am in the market for tires and am looking for some bay area specific info.

Are any of you guys buying your tires from retail stores? If yes, which ones do you recommend in the Bay Area? I used to get my tires from costco, I thought their prices were reasonable since it came with lifetime balance and warranty. But I haven't had a chance to check into their tire shop to see what selection they have for 215/45/17 (might do it sometime this week unless you guys know what they carry).

Are there other shops that offer lifetime balance/rotation/warranty/repair if you buy from them?

Right now I am leaning towards buying from tirerack....unless I can find a place with the type of service I got from costco.

\

Also, are there any tire places which will give you the pro-rated amount on a set of new tires if you have one that is damaged and un-repairable, since we need to replace all four at once?

I went to Costco last week. They carry only Michelin and BF Goodrich. Pilot Sport PS2 215/45ZR17 was $210 each plus tax AND they generally need to order them per Costco. Ordered a set of GS-D3s from Tire Rack and had them mounted at one of their "recommended installers" for $33/tire. I ended up paying a total of $165.61 per tire (lifetime balance/rotation included).
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

I just bought tires from Tirerack and had them drop shipped to one of their recommended installers Ken's Wheel Service in SF. I'll know later this week how it goes with them, hopefully they will do a decent job.

Archived