LegacyGT.com

What is up with the Legacy trims?!?

SLegacy99

So I was browsing Subaru.com and noticed the naming of the Legacy was different then I though. What ever happened to the good old fashioned L, LS, GT, or GT Limited?

Now I thought it was 2.5i, 2.5i Limited, and now just the GT Limited (which I still think is stupid, as we have discussed already). So why is everything limited or special. Like do those words really help sell cars. The 2.5i special edition, just a typical Legacy. 2.5i Limited, leather without the turbo, ok cool. And theres the GT Limited and 2.5 GT Spec B. Confuses the hell outta me.

...and go back to the Impreza RS. It sounds cooler.

Not just that, but whose brilliant idea was it to eliminate cloth interiors from the turbo cars?

The Legacy GT is a sport sedan - I don't think there's any doubt about that. Has anyone else noticed that a sports car with leather seats produces a tendency for the driver to slllllliiiiiiiide around in the seat...?

I'm just glad I managed to get my GT Wagon with a cloth interior before the bean-counters struck.

I wonder if it's the same team of bean-counters that have driven Ford into the ground...? Hmm....

I agree. I love cloth and that is why I got a left over '05. Don't like the cold of leather in the winter or the slipperyness (is that even a word?) when I corner. I just don't understand the appeal of leather. I wish I could have had the beige color in cloth with ABP. I really don't care for black...shows every bit of light colored lint and every scuff of the shoe...plus it gets HOT in the sun. Glad they put a light colored headliner in it or it would have been like sitting in a hole waiting for them to shovel the dirt in on top of you.
It is still ugly.

What I love is how peeps diss the tan interior. Look at the inside of youre "black" car, and count the different shades of black in there - I see five, several of them shades of blue. Do you like that? I hate it. However, I don't feel the need to question your intelligence or judgement just because I think the black interior looks like shit, in leather or not. I do mean shit, too. It is awful and I would never have bought the car if I had to take a black interior.

And sure it's tougher to clean the tan interior - but I think I've cleaned mine once in a year and it's fine - and i have two kids in the back. it's just not that dirty. Certainly nothing that 10 min with Lexol vinylex wouldn't take care of.

Ok, rant over. Sorry about that.

• 6 months later...

I wish they would spend some money on product development, and making decent choices, and offering sane options, rather than paying someone to think of superlative adjectives to add to the car's name, while those linquistic addenda actually never appear on the car itself.

My Legacy GT doesn't anywhere refer to being "limited". It has leather and a moonroof.

(actually, since it is debadged, it doesn't say GT anywhere either. It says Legacy on the guage display, though. The hood scoop screams GT loud enough, I would guess. :D )

But cloth wouldnt be upscale. Therefore the cloth seats are only special and not limited.

[ Warning: nothing personal, just need to vent off. ]

/ranton

This is stupid American customers (sorry, but I think we can't make generalizaiton here) that think that cheap leather under butt and VINYL anywhere else is upscale.

Yes, the leather can be upscale, but we need to talk about 7-series or S-class at MINIMUM.

BMW 7-series and even S-class in Europe can be bought with cloth. And I assure you your Subaru leather is shit compared to these upscale cloths (suede, velour, alcantra).

Yes, I'd have leather in my car. But only if this was the car I rode in rear seat only. I don't expect financially to be at that level, so I have no plans for leather.

(yes, I am in the market for another LGT - if the car will be right I'll buy even limited but promptly swap the seats for cloth ones or get them reupholstered).

Hate cheap leather.

/rantoff

Yes, choice is even more limited this year.

I have no objection to leather. I like it over cloth. Even if its cheap. As to the leather doesn't belong in a sports sedan argument: BFD. I don't auto-x on my way to the software mines every day so sliding-ass-syndrome (SAS) is a non issue. It looks nice. But not offering a CHOICE is just stupid.

What does bug me is the new even lamer color selection. Looking at the Aussie Ford and Holden sites is like the damn color picker in Photoshop with several shades of most colors (ahem, that ahould be "colours"), and a few you've never seen. Subaru? Black, white, silver, blue. Hello? Subaru? The ghost of Henry Ford is on the line telling you that the idea of "any color as long as it's black" was a stupid idea then and it's still a stupid idea today.

The lame lack of an MT for the wagon. Discussed at length. Still retarded.

The integrated audio/hvac stupidity. Not an issue if your factory audio is decent (see Acura, Lexus) but subie audio BLOWS. Who cares if their audio system has aux in and sat radio when it's hooked up to thin paper speakers and a 6" "sub" woofer? Seriously.

The main problem is that SOA wants so desparatly to be upscale. They really, really want it and think they can get there with hiked prices and a thin layer of bling-varnish. When their top of the line offerings start approaching the price of a TL or IS they need more than a few check-box feature items on some powerpoint slide deck to compete.

Of course for upscale they have the B9. A friend looked at it on paper. Liked what he read. Went to the showroom and almost died laughing. Then orderd an RDX. Paid more. But got WAY more.

I think Subaru hit a high point with the 05 Legacy launch then went completely INSANE.

I am still enjoying my now super rare regal blue LGT with black interior. Very nice.

BMW 7-series and even S-class in Europe can be bought with cloth. And I assure you your Subaru leather is shit compared to these upscale cloths (suede, velour, alcantra).

One would hope. However, the leather in my Legacy is holding up suprisingly better than the leather in my mom's RX300. The vehicles are the same age and she has about 10,000 less miles than I do. Her leather is cracking, its brittle, and now its starting to discolor. Its a bummer. My leather is perfect other than the two butt prints in the driver seat.

So just because youre paying top dollar, doesnt mean that you are getting what you pay for.

That wasn't the point.

Besides, chances are the leather in the Lexus is actually better quality but your mother neglected it. Leather requires proper maintaince.

(not that I respect Lexuses, ugly rebadged Toyotas, ewwwww)

Cheap vinyl lasts forever without maintaince. I had a nearly 20 years old Honda with vinyl interior that was in perfect condition.

:lol:

I haven't paid much attention to the car market since last February, when I got my wagon. I read about this place as a good source of info (I curse the DRLs and chimes) and came. I like it here. I'd been a little confused by some references to the wagon with a 5 speed, so I checked. I'm still shocked that they got rid of the manual in the wagon.

I know manuals aren't big sellers overall, but what sales there are should lean towards the sportier end of the market... GTs. Since I wasn't paying attention when they did this, did they say why?

Back when they made them, was there an intentional shortage of them? When I started calling dealers back then there was only one that had what I wanted. I thought that was because I was being picky- this body, that engine, this tranny and that color. I figured if I weren't picky about the color then every dealer around me would have had them. Now it seems I was just incredibly lucky.

What's the point? Is it that they want my next car to be an Audi wagon? I was thrilled with Subaru. They actually bothered to build the car I wanted at a price I could afford. But they only did it for one model year. WTF?

I can't deal with automatics- I tend to forget and jam my left foot down on the brake when I want the car to do something.

I'm sure they know what they're doing, I just don't understand what they're thinking. Are the sedan and wagon so different mechanically that they're built in different places and they dropped the choice to make the supply picture simpler (and cheaper) at the wagon factory? That I could understand. I couldn't respect it, but I could understand.

It could simply be a money story like that. Maybe if we explained that we didn't think an auto was worth a grand (or whatever) more. I'd pay more for a car with a manual than I would with an automatic. Manuals would be profitable enough then that they'd start pushing them.

I'm sure they know what they're doing, I just don't understand what they're thinking. Are the sedan and wagon so different mechanically that they're built in different places and they dropped the choice to make the supply picture simpler (and cheaper) at the wagon factory? That I could understand. I couldn't respect it, but I could understand.

It could simply be a money story like that. Maybe if we explained that we didn't think an auto was worth a grand (or whatever) more. I'd pay more for a car with a manual than I would with an automatic. Manuals would be profitable enough then that they'd start pushing them.

I contacted them and they said they did not sell - allegedly sold at a rate of 30 units a month. Given no stock and no adverstisement that was not too bad.

As far as production goes it's even stupider - they still make manual wagons for Canadian market right here in Indiana. Go figure. :confused::icon_mad:

But still complain if they receive enough complains from different people they may change their mind.

In 2006 they initially dropped non-limited Outback XT manual. Few months later, allegedly after customer complaints, they brought it back.

I believe now it's gone again. SOA beancounters at work.

Archived