LegacyGT.com

long trips question

i am planning on a summer trip hartford ct to fredericton nb canada about 550 miles straight. any precautionary measures i should take beforehand?

should i use a heavier grade oil? should i break in between i need to rush so wanted to go for 8 hrs straight

aside from mechanical stuff.....

make sure you now where gas stations are as soon as you hit Canada. Fill up whenever you get a chance....

also.... take your wallet out of pants. This helps keep the seat more comfortable

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I'm not sure what the problem could be, it is only 500 miles, I do that in about a week. Why sould your car be bothered by traveling that many miles when it's already warmed up. As 90% (SWAG) of an engine's wear occurs while it's warming up to operating temperature, you most likely do Far more damage doing 500 miles in 5 days than 5 hours.

Okay, like I'm the only one that averages 100mph??:lol:

:) ye, just don't miss gas stations

I drove 2 weeks straight over 1000 miles everyday to different states, lgt handles it easily.

Holy driving....are you saying you drove 14,000 miles in two weeks? Where the heck were you going?

- The Mortgage Man

^^ Yeah, what's up with that???

Colt: also bring along a spare quart of oil and be sure to check it again when you get to your destination - it sometimes disappears during a long drive.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done several trips of 1,300 mile - 1,500 miles, each in 4 to 5 days and only checked the oil level and tire pressures before and after the trip. (Zero oil consumption every time.) These cars love to run and driving all day at 75 or 80 MPH is really no different than driving a shorter distance. I do try to idle for an extra 30 to 60 seconds to help cool down the turbo before shutting down after a long hard drive.

I did discover that I get about 2 to 3 MPG better mileage at an average cruising speed of 75-80 MPH than at 80-85 MPH.

Make sure your wallet is fat! Gas in Canada is expensive.

Bring a passport if you have one, the border police can be a PITA if they get bored.

Remember that NB drivers think that stop signs mean slow down, that red lights are optional and that NO COP means no stop.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived