LegacyGT.com

New tires for stock rim

BKNYCSubyGT

I have spent countless hours trying to research new tires so that I don't end up disappointed like I am with my OEM RE92A's. This weekend, a lovely little sidewall bulge popped up. I was planning on waiting til the tires wore down (I'm at 18k miles and surprisingly almost full tread), but I was starting to hate the diminished ride quality from when they were new.

I've looked here, tirerack, car and driver...everyone (naturally) has something bad and good to say about every tire...which is to be expected. I'm not looking for the best tire ever and to run races with my car, but I want an all season tire for NYC seasons that has a stiffer sidewall than the RE92's. I've checked the new RE960AS, Contis, Toyo Proxes4, P Zero Nero, Avons...*sigh*

I don't mind a stiff ride (as I'm already driving on rocks with the RE92's) through "normal" driving. I'm looking for better handling in turns and high speed. Sorry for the redundancy, but the thousands of posts get confusing.

From those who have tried the Toyo Proxes 4s, Pirelli P-Zero Neros, as well as the Falken Ziex ZE-512s, typically, the Toyos and Pirellis offer better dry-weather performance, and the Falkens come into their own under wetter conditions, as well as offer more snow/slush traction.

However, the above should not be read in that either the Toyos nor the Pirellis are true "summer" tires with absolute grip in-mind, nor should the above statement be read as an endorsement for the Falkens as any substitute for true, dedicated winter snow/ice rubbers.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks guys for the fast responses, although I'm sure you're also the ones that responded plenty on the other tire threads (I tried my best to read them all before posting this repeat...I promise :icon_bigg

Since I could go back and forth deciding a million times over, I decided to try my luck with the RE960AS. I know no one has them yet since they're new, so I'll post and let you guys know how they fare once I get them installed. I'm hoping to have them shipped and installed by Wednesday. If not, by Saturday the latest.

Thanks for your help.

Just got back from getting the new RE960AS pole positions put on. Already a noticable difference in regular driving but haven't been able to test them out much. I have the old tires in the back seat and don't want them flopping all over the place getting the car dirty :icon_tong Also, I requested a specific tire pressure but you can never trust anyone's work but your own. So I want to wait until the tires cool down so I can accurately check the pressure and set it properly if need be. I'll definitely post later after I take it out on the highway and some good sharp curves :woowoo:

Cool! Let us know! :)

So I have a few hundred miles on the RE960AS's now. Definitely a big improvement over the RE92's. However, I guess I was hyped up to believe the tires would make a more dramatic difference than they really did.

They're a lot softer on bumps but still pretty hard (Hey - it's an "ultra high performance all season tire - if that's not an oxymoron, I don't know what is. And I'm in NYC. I can't ask for EVERYTHING). Despite the softer response and flex to bumps, it holds on a lot longer before I feel the back of the car starting to give way. And this is with the stock suspension. Just new tires. So I'm impressed.

The road noise was much quieter at first, but on certain roads, they're pretty noisy. But again..."ultra high performance all season". I'll take noise over lack of performance every day. Can't bitch about EVERYTHING. No flat spotting. But they do get a bit stiff (as would be expected with any tire) when it's below 55 degrees or so until you get moving.

Poured here all weekend. Don't know if it was the stiffer sidewall that made me feel like I was on the road more or true traction, but they were great. I never felt completely unsafe with the RE92's as some others have, but these were definitely more sticky and didn't make me feel as if I was riding on water.

With the $100 rebate, so far, I'm satisfied with the choice. I guess time will tell and I'll have to see how they do after they break in further. So far, so good. Would be interested to see how other tires "feel" though, although, unlike a pair of shoes, you can't try them before you buy them.

• 3 months later...

Archived