LegacyGT.com

What would you like to see in Subaru's line up?

What would you like to see in Subaru's line up?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see in Subaru's line up?

• SUV
    • Convertible
    • Coupe
    • Sedan larger than a Legacy
    • A car smaller than a Impreza
    • A faster (STi, etc.) version of an existing car
    • A high-performance sportscar or sedan (STi killer)

Subaru has sedans, wagons, and a pick-up, along with the Outback series. It's got a bonkers STi version of the Impreza. A SUV is on the way. What else would you like to see in Subaru's line up? I don't like the SUV idea, but it will be fantastic for Subaru sales. I really want to see a coupe with some performance. Coupes are great ways to sex up the line-up and to get people to buy Subaru. And I'd like to see a Legacy with a sports package or a performance package at the very minimum, or a higher performance model (STi, Spec B). And they should make a totally bonkers sportscar or sedan. I've said it before, but something with a twin-turbo boxer-6, AWD, and some electronic assist would really get people interested... Skyline rival anybody?

I'd like to see Subaru come out with a genuine people mover like the Toyota Previa or Honda Odyssey. Anyone seen the "Modulo" aero concepts for the Odyssey? it's factory BLING. world.honda.com/ news/2004/4040107.html [img]http://www.vtec.at/prototype/p157.jpg[/img] They also have a GREAT kit for the Honda Accord Euro. These are exterior AND interior upgrade packages.

I think they need a bigger pickup truck and SUV to complete their lineup of cars. Not that I don't want the Legacy STi to come here, but I think Subaru lacks a lineup that is comparable to other companies. The Baja seems useless to me. The Forester is a bit on the small size compared to other SUVs.

I said Coupe because I think it is one area where Subaru can use the Legacy chassis in another way without too significant changes to attack another market. BMW had Sedan and Coupe versions of it's M3 in 1997-1998 (maybe one more year also) and the chassis didn't look all too dissimilar. I think it could do at least twice the sales the Baja has been. I'd also vote for a higher performance Legacy model.

[quote name='SUBE555']I said Coupe because I think it is one area where Subaru can use the Legacy chassis in another way without too significant changes to attack another market. BMW had Sedan and Coupe versions of it's M3 in 1997-1998 (maybe one more year also) and the chassis didn't look all too dissimilar. I think it could do at least twice the sales the Baja has been. I'd also vote for a higher performance Legacy model.[/quote] Considering last year's U.S. version Legacy ran about a 16.5 1/4 mile, and the new 05 GT model runs a 14.2, if I were a Subaru engineer, I'd be ripping the hair out of my skull right about now. I like the Legacy the way it is (minus its exhaust set-up). For something new, I would also vote for a turbo V-6 sedan... although I doubt I would be able to afford it.

A Coupe would be nice something with about 300H.P. would be cool.But I also agree that the current line-up is pretty comprehensive.I understand there working on a seven-seater SUV.I also think a more rounded option list would be good i.e. nav system,upgraded sound system's,bigger wheel-tire option's etc.Also more STI version's i.e Forester Sti,Legacy Sti,down the line. There a small company with limited resources but I would buy a Forester Sti in a heartbeat.I think Car and Driver did a 1-page feature on the Forester Sti which is not available in the U.S. :? TurboMike04

If I might assert one assumption, that a Legacy STi is a foregone conclusion. SUVs are a dime a dozen, and thus a hard market to crack with any profitability. The Pac-rim trucks, if not re-badged americans, are barely now becoming more than pretenders to the throne. Subaru may want to play in the SUV market rather than a minivan, but I think a truck is a vehicle too far. There are already two sedan/wagon pairs. Aside from a dedicated 2 seat roadster/sportscar, which is also a hard profit margin, there is one car type left: A coupe. not too luxury to be too heavy. SVX was heavy. Not too big, in order to be sporty. Not too hard focused, in order to be real-world useable. Not too soft, in order to get the blood pumping. A delicate balance to be sure. But it is attainable. I am not sure whether trimming down a legacy would be the better way to go, or to spiff up a next-generation impreza-line coupe, but due to sized and weight, I would go with the latter. a coupe on the hardpoints of the next Impreza, with standard sport suspension, and WRX or Legacy GT drivetrain, and optional as an STi version (the anti-drift sport compact) with styling a little more dignified than the RSX or Scion TC. Ricers can always put their fingerprints all over it, if they want. No need to cater to them off the showroom floor, as a courtesy to the rest of us. I would love to see a sleeker, hatchback-coupe, with "faster" lines than the old 2.5RS. perhaps with some well-chosen familial resemblence to our Legacy sedan. I am thinking about a coupe/hatch, in the aesthetic of the G35 Coupe mixed with Legacy GT, but smaller, and lighter than both. Perhaps even a drop-head version. (convertible to those unfamiliar with antiquated Queen's English) I am thinking this could be a fun little 2+2 toy. something to really break the "responsible and stodgy" image, once and for a while, that subaru has spent so long cultivating.

Anybody got pics of the next Impreza? I assume it is up for a chassis-up redesign in the next couple years. While this is a cool photoshop, especially for the fans of the older 2.5RS. I was thinking a smaller scale version of a Legacy/ G35coupe based on the next Impreza's wheelbase and width. if that can't be done, then perhaps on the legacy's chassis. Basically a coupe with a completely different body on an existing or upcoming subaru chassis and drivetrain. But, again, cool photochop!

Another car sparked thoughts of what subaru should make. After the Legacy STi arrives, and the next impreza iteration spawns a nice little 2+2 coupe, and Subaru starts making money hand over fist... yeah.... If subaru wants to rock the WRC world, and give a few private citizens the opportunity to own a very unique car, they should re-invent and re-interpret one of the great rally cars from yesteryear, which has fallen from the public's conciousness. The Lancia Stratos. Very sleek, and sports car looking, and by all rights should be a supercar for the street, but set up for rallying. A revival of that should be a Subaru all-out rally machine. To dominate WRC rallys, and kick arse in the Paris-Dakar rally, and look like a superstar while doing it. A custom unibody/monocoque car, with a dry-sump turbo boxer engine amidships. the Subaru STi 6MT or full race sequential transmission would drive the rear wheels from the half-shafts, and the third driveshaft would exit toward the front of the car, rather than the rear, and go to a front mounted differential, to drive the front wheels. Front mounted radiator, TMIC with a roof scoop. A full on competition suspension, with adjustable ride height and active damping. The car would have to have a huge design signature. The Lancia Stratos was designed by Marcello Gandini at Bertone, who also designed the classic Lamborghini Miura, hence they look very similar to each other. Subaru had Georgetto Guigiaro of ItalDesign (and formerly Bertone) design the SVX. They could have a design firm design a unique successor to the Lancia Stratos. The Lancia Stratos was powered by a Dino V6 engine, which is essentially half of a Ferrari V12. Subaru STi engines may not be quite up to ferrari spec, but they do certainly make a lot of power, and are race proven. Someone once said that Subaru made aircraft quality equipment, in terms of their engineering tolerances. that says something in itself. I'd love to see a car like that someday.

I think a slick little coupe with the interior of the '05 Legacy GT Limited, awd, a bump in hp, and an aggressive sounding exhaust. I'd be all over than in a heart beat. Make it to go head to head with the G35 coupe, Audi TT, and whatever other luxury coupes are out there. I think that would answer what I'd love to own. One of my dream cars is the Porsche 911 4S coupe. - Mike

[quote name='AreEyeSeeKay']I want one of these.... [url]http://www.subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=5619[/url][/quote] Pretty interesting rendition of the new Justy. Looks hip to me. The most interesting thing I found was the mod on there had a tech pic like mine but of a Forester powerplant. :mrgreen:

[quote name='AreEyeSeeKay']I want one of these.... [url]http://www.subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=5619[/url][/quote] I didn't even know that existed (the original justy) but the STi version looks very interesting as a photochop, and a right good one, nothing I would buy, but interesting. It'd drive those Scion blokes quite mad, it would! [/gratuitous british accent]

Archived