LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil Woes

Redline seems to have the highest levels of most additives (heck, as much as it costs, it oughta).

Maybe it has little washing machines in it...those expensive front loaders that are stainless steel.

It is still ugly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little late to the party, but FWIW:

I changed to M1 synth on my previous car at about 50k miles. I saw a slight increase in consumption/leakage at first, but it has since reduced leakage (even less than what it had originally on the dino oil). In fact, this car has a common issue with oil leakage at the valve cover gaskets (1993 Mazda MX6) and many users change theirs about every 50k miles - I have NEVER had to change mine, since my oil consumption REDUCED with M1 since I switched over.

I also recently ran AutoRX, which worked very nicely to silence the well-known HLA noise on this motor. Leakage has not been determined, since I have bought my Subie since then, and have not driven that car as much. Still, I can vouch for that product's engine cleaning characteristics (as well as the fact that it does it slowly and "safely" compared to kerosene flushes and such.)

Lastly, I did a lot of reading a long time ago about these oils, and found that Castrol Syntec is NOT a "true synthetic" like Mobil 1 (or Amsoil, and some others) are. It's a Group-III oil, which is basically heavily processed, but not like GroupV, which is what M1 is. This is why it's cheaper than M1. But, aside from that, Syntec was reported to have a very high ash content from oil analyses, which leads to sludging. For this reason, I generally recommend AGAINST Syntec (especially in a high-temp turbo motor) since it will sludge and coke up near the turbo, most likely. Castrol GTX (dino oil) doesn't suffer from this issue.

i used only Mobil 1 so far

but i'm gonna try royal purple for my next oil change

MDTURBO(vendor here on this board) sells'em for cheap!!

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Archived