LegacyGT.com

Another Central PA AutoX, April 23rd

Prod

STN is novice class.

Why not run in FSP? :p Actually, I was looking through the actual rules last night, and according to what I read I think I can run in STU. It said something to the effect of boost altering as a side effect of a tune is legal. Though if I wanted to go stage 2, I'd have to run FSP. They really need to change our cars to ESP though.

The fun runs are the NC times with the 600 numbers. Everything was dry by then which partially explains some of the significantly faster times.

STN is novice class.

Why not run in FSP? :p Actually, I was looking through the actual rules last night, and according to what I read I think I can run in STU. It said something to the effect of boost altering as a side effect of a tune is legal. Though if I wanted to go stage 2, I'd have to run FSP. They really need to change our cars to ESP though.

The fun runs are the NC times with the 600 numbers. Everything was dry by then which partially explains some of the significantly faster times.

I believe as long as you are messing with timing and fueling it's considered ok.. but if you are directly changing the boost, it would be a no-no. I think the AP and UTEC are part of that illegal mod of the car, unless you can prove that your AP is a "STU" tuned map using the same stock boost levels. It's going to be hard to prove that.

Any changes to the boost is usually resulting your car to an SM car. But no matter, you're just running the car for fun :icon_bigg

Keefe

I believe as long as you are messing with timing and fueling it's considered ok.. but if you are directly changing the boost, it would be a no-no. I think the AP and UTEC are part of that illegal mod of the car, unless you can prove that your AP is a "STU" tuned map using the same stock boost levels. It's going to be hard to prove that.

Any changes to the boost is usually resulting your car to an SM car. But no matter, you're just running the car for fun :icon_bigg

I am running the car for fun, but I want to make sure I'm doing so legally. The local expert up here told me to run in FSP. I'm looking at the rules now, for street prepared it says:

"15.10

4. f) Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure maybe altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted."

The rules don't allow for changes to the turbo, BOV/waste gate, or a supercharger pulley. Since the AP doesn't change any of those things, theoretically it should be fine, unless of course I'm reading this wrong.:confused:

OMG i wanna do that......too bad it's gonna be like a 5 hour drive to get there

At 75-80 mph on Rte 80 it should only take about three hours for you. My territory runs from Williamsport to the Ohio line, so I have driven it often. If I remember Beaverun is just south of Rte 80, east of Rte 79.

I'd be going for sure if my buds bachelor party in Syracuse wasn't the 12th. :(

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

You're right about that.. but the problem relys already in section 15.9 where there are no written rule about the allowance of ECU reprogramming or ECU altercations, in which "if it's not stated in the book, it's illegal" rule. You can use the AP for one thing, and that is to change timing as stated in 15.9 section A:

Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used. A

stock ignition sensor on a cam cover may be removed, and the

hole may be plugged. This modification may serve no other

purpose.

In 15.10, you are allowed to modify the stock electronic boost controller either by doing the similar 3/16" mod that WRX owners use to do on their cars, or that you can fool the stock EBC by putting a resistor or some sort to generate more boost. But what you can't do is ADD a manual boost controller on that.. you can only modify and alter what is already on the car.

Keefe

the only prob is that on may 10 i'm moving from school (williamsport) to home (allentown) for the summer. So then it goes up to 5 something hours. If it weren't for the timing, gas prices, and the likely event I'll probly break something racing the car soon....i'd go

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

You're right about that.. but the problem relys already in section 15.9 where there are no written rule about the allowance of ECU reprogramming or ECU altercations, in which "if it's not stated in the book, it's illegal" rule. You can use the AP for one thing, and that is to change timing as stated in 15.9 section A:

Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used. A

stock ignition sensor on a cam cover may be removed, and the

hole may be plugged. This modification may serve no other

purpose.

In 15.10, you are allowed to modify the stock electronic boost controller either by doing the similar 3/16" mod that WRX owners use to do on their cars, or that you can fool the stock EBC by putting a resistor or some sort to generate more boost. But what you can't do is ADD a manual boost controller on that.. you can only modify and alter what is already on the car.

So in street touring, I can modify the ECU, but not boost, and in street prepared, I can effectively modify the boost but not ECU?

Why do they make things so difficult?

:icon_cry:

from what i remember, it's something to that effect...

in STU, you can change the timing AND fueling (it's for those Honda guys running the S-AFC, VTEC controllers, and advanced ignition tricks that uses the stock ignition system). This allows for everyone, force inducted or not, to get the most out of the car, regardless of the change in volume of air (which holds true to a certain point). Fueling is very limited as you may use a fuel controller or reprogram the ECU to bump up the fueling OR upgrade the fuel pressure regulator, but not both. ST cars must be 49-state emmissions legal.

in (E)SP classes, ignition is allowed to be changed by any means (it's for the guys that run MSD parts and such), but fuel is unlimited for fuel injectors, carbs, and intake manifolds (this lets the old school USA power cars have a fighting chance against the turbos) [see 15.10 section C]. So with the extra flow from the intake manifolds, a "similar mod" for the turbos was the allowance of bigger intercoolers (so long as no cutting or removal of body parts) are allowed and add that with the use of modifying the boost controller itself (like having a LARGER barrels on the carburetors) to creep in more air for more air to burn, aka hp. SP was designed for the the older cars that didnt have EFI on them, so that also means that they are also electronically limited, therefore, the cars that HAVE EFI and all that jazz are limited as well to just fuel and timing and any other "old school" means to alter/modify the OEM boost controller physically. The expectation of this mod of the turbo is to keep the boost even with the gains that bigger carbs and velocity stacks would gain from their normal aspirated setups.

Hope that helps. Remember, Autox is one of the oldest grassroots motorsports that is still alive (and coming back strong). These rules are there to keep the competition super close, thus makes it's a very driver-oriented sport. These rules are also here to keep the costs down (see the difference of a stock car costs vs street mod).. Street Touring is becoming super popular because it was designed for everyday daily driven cars with your typical bolt ons. Street Mod was designed for the street legal bad-ass class where anything goes SO long as the car is:

-Street legal

-The chassis and motor are the same make

-Meets weight requirements

-Meets displacement requirements

So you can see that all hell breaks loose in SM... some of us call SM the "Simply Money" class.

Keefe

Archived