LegacyGT.com

Another Central PA AutoX, April 23rd

Prod

Just giving the heads up. http://www.scca-cpr.com

This is the first official event of the summer season (the 9th was a test and tune). There's a good amount of tough competition if you're looking for it.

Cost is $25 for non-SCCA members and $20 for SCCA members. Pre-registration is available, but not necessary. Also, for football fans, Penn State's Blue and White game is on the 22nd. As much as I'd like to offer a place to stay, my dorm room isn't exactly conducive to guests.

I should be starting to go up there every Sunday beginning April 30th. All my mods should be done by then. :icon_twis

I met you there last year Prod. It was the day you scratched the bumper on the runway light. :(

BTW, after May 7th I'll be back home in MD, so I'll be attending DC region autoxes

Good, so you can co-drive my GT.. assuming you can drive stick ;) Lemme know when you are around and PM of the next event you plan to attend.. you can co-drive my 40,000+ mile old Zeals.. I plan to have them rebuilt some time in June or July (no rush as the RS is the car I am currently using for this year's autox championship points).

Keefe

If it rains, i'm going. If it's dry, i'm not....too much wear on the tires too soon

you should go anyway, go "rent" some wheels from a WRX owner or something, or offer a co-drive ;) Seat time in either situation is a good experience.. especially if you co-drive someone else's car in the dry.. it gives you a way to gauge your own skill level and know where to improve fast ;)

*Im currently learning how to drive a RWD as fast as the way I can drive an AWD..*

It's kinda cool to see the skills you know and changing the way you apply them based on the car's difference to give you the same times..

some of the BMW drivers that co-drive my car can't nearly get the same times as I do in my own car and vice versa.. but when we drive our own cars, the times are similar.. so it's safe to say that there's much to learn and some old habits that you need to kick in order to become faster.

Keefe

^ drunk bastid. :p

i only finished in 2nd out my region's autox yesterday.. got my butt handed as stock blown shocks, sagging springs, and lack of any kind of alignment is where the test of slaloms will show you the poor handlings of any car through multiple transitions stages..

Keefe

I did fairly well. I was the only one in FSP so umm... yeah I guess you could say I won my class. :rolleyes: During the competition I wasn't driving that well. (71.826 best time) I kept repeating the same mistakes, in fact I hit the same cone at least 3 times. I never really got used to the course and I wasn't looking ahead enough (until non-comps). Due to thunderstorms, we had to close the course and stay inside for a while before we began. Then I was only able to walk the course once. I attribute some of my problems in getting use to the course from this. In the non-comp runs I finally made a significant improvement, pulling out a 68.547 on my last run. For comparison, my friend in his CSP RSX-S ran a best time of 68.337. Another friend (very experienced at autox, was having an off day for some reason) who was co-driving the RSX ran a 69.0. FTD was 61.x in a SM Camaro, it appeared to be somewhat of an amazing fluke as the second fastest car was 64.x, and the driver of the Camaro had never previously run faster than a 64.

I think I could possibly have room to shave maybe half a second if I did everything absolutely perfectly, but on RE92s I don't think there's any more potential than that. There's just not enough traction to do anymore. The one time I tried to take the offset slalom a little faster, the traction gave out and I ended up doing an all wheel drift around the last 2 cones of the slalom, and I was trying to recover to make the chicane, but I ended up oversteering and doing a 180 instead. :redface: Miraculously I only plowed 1 cone.

In other news I have a leak in my driver's side rear tire, so I'm left with little choice but to replace all of the RE92s with summer tires. :)

The second half was about the same. They added a long slalom going off to the left to where the water bomber used to be. The people that ran in the first heat were running on a wet course. By my heat everything had dried up except a few puddles.

Archived