LegacyGT.com

Handbrake light always on

PhilT

On the way home today, I stopped at a light and put the handbrake on, as normal. After releasing it and setting off I noticed that the light was still on, although it was obviously released by the way the car was driving.

This makes me think that the position switch is broken or disconnected, does anyone where this switch might be, or has anyone experienced this before ?

drop anything in the console? The light is turned off by a position switch. Unlikely something got in there with the leather boot though.

I had the light come on in an old Accord while crossing an icy pass on the way to Iowa....umm.....:pucker: Turns out it was a metallic wrapper from one of these that had worked it's way between the sensor and grounded it:

http://www.bulkfoods.com/pictures/2007_creme_de_menthe.jpg

This happens as the pads wear (the fluid level gets lower). The light would come on in my Camry when this happened and would usually start when taking a corner quickly (don't remember if it was left or right) causing the fluid to move in the reservoir and set the light because of low fluid.
It is still ugly.

check your floater in the brake master cylinder resevoir.. sounds like you have that floater stuck somehow.. I remember when I bled my brakes, the brake light was still on after I filled it to the top.. it turned out that the floater was stuck in an akward way causing the sensor to stay on... it's just something to look for in the future even if you do have full of fluid...
Keefe

check your floater in the brake master cylinder resevoir.. sounds like you have that floater stuck somehow.. I remember when I bled my brakes, the brake light was still on after I filled it to the top.. it turned out that the floater was stuck in an akward way causing the sensor to stay on... it's just something to look for in the future even if you do have full of fluid...

The float switch is ok, the light went out after i topped it up, I just wasn't expecting the light to come on while the level was above minimum.

Archived