LegacyGT.com

Resonator removal on 2.5i ? (wagon)

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to increase the exhaust note. First choice based on simplicity and cost would be to remove the resonator and replace it with straight pipe, keeping the rest of the system including the stock mufflers etc.

Has anyone done this and if so, how does it sound?

I don't want to end up being too raspy... Presumably the resonator is the size and shape it is for a reason. However, the stock mufflers are fairly restrictive I expect too.

Thanks for the feedback Jedimaster and ebpda9.

Jedimaster - did you end up with any of the backfire noise that ebpda9 refers to?

Right now, I can't justify replacing the mufflers which are perfectly good, the car is still brand new (2,000kms), etc. I can get the resonator replaced with straight pipe welded in for $50. I just don't want to have it end up sounding like crap...

So, got the straight pipe installed just now. I'd say it's not worth it.

Doesn't sound too bad - you can hardly tell the difference except for some new raspyness (slight). Only positive is the weight reduction I'd say...

Guest *Jedimaster*
Thanks for the feedback Jedimaster and ebpda9.

Jedimaster - did you end up with any of the backfire noise that ebpda9 refers to?

Right now, I can't justify replacing the mufflers which are perfectly good, the car is still brand new (2,000kms), etc. I can get the resonator replaced with straight pipe welded in for $50. I just don't want to have it end up sounding like crap...

Yeah, there's a bit more afterfire. But keep in mind this is with a turbo and running rich. My TDC tune leaned things out a bit and it doesn't do that as much. Someone this morning told me my car sounds like a rocket.

• 3 weeks later...

As best as I can tell, the resonator basically "tunes" the exhaust note - in our case, in tunes out the harshness... I've still got my stock mufflers and now I can hear a bit of a raspy/tinny sound at different rpms. Not all bad but not refined either. When downshifting and decelerating, you can hear the raspy sound at a couple different rpms as well (3-4,000 rpm or so?). Basically a kind of resonance.

So, to answer your question, it does tone down the exhaust on acceleration, through the different resonance frequencies. While cruising, it doesn't change a whole lot I would say.

I'm still looking for a better sound myself (after having pulled my resonator) and after some serious consideration, I think I'm going to spring for some Magnaflow 14827's... Best price I can get locally is C$150 (~US$132). Now, I can mail order some out of the US and deal with a bit of grief with customs or just cough up an extra $40 or so and get 'em through the shop doing the install. I'll likely bite the bullet and buy them through the install shop.

Why are you selling your intake? You building another?

Also, did you cut your factory tips off your oem mufflers and weld them on to the new ones? I didnt' realize that the bell shaped mouth wasn't part of the chromed tip until I took one off...

I just posted somthing similar to this... I have a 99' GT GTD, just got my Cat-back system, resonator removed and what looked like a small cat, maybe a second resonator/ not sure! Anyways, I was trying to prevent from purchasing the headers, highflow cat pipe, and intake pipe to get the boxer note from the motor.... didn't work! I think it my have given me a few horses, and a slight gain in volume, but no boxer note! I now currently have the custom 2" cat-back system, topspeed titanium muffler, and universal cone airfilter. Will next purchase the cold-air intake and if that still doesn't work I will move to purchasing the headers and highflow cat pipe! (MAYBE THAT WILL GIVE ME THE SOUND I WANT)!

Although my 2.5 auto is non-turbo, I was still hoping to get the boxer sound out of it... to me a manual and auto are alot different, automatic seems alot harder to get the boxer note from for some reason!?!?! If anyone has any suggestion or ideas please let me know!!!! :confused:

• 1 month later...

Here's a [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7280803405389880888]video / soundclip [/ame]of the car with the resonator removed and the factory mufflers. Didn't record the car prior, but if your car is stock, it sounded just like that ;).

I'll also post a clip with the Magnaflow mufflers later this week hopefully.

I had the original video for quite a while but it was large and I didn't know where to host it... now I do.

Archived