LegacyGT.com

GT Braking Distances

outahere

When edmunds.com did their road test on the GT wagon, these were their comments about the brakes: "The brakes feel extremely confident, both in pedal reaction and overall vehicle dynamics. We experienced almost no ABS noise or vibration. The pedal sinks very slightly during emergency braking, but not enough to be an issue. Feedback through the pedal was very progressive, and the car stopped extremely straight with no front end dive, probably because it sits so low in the first place. These brakes are very confidence inspiring, as fade was not an issue whatsoever. We would have liked to have seeen shorter numbers, but it is a station wagon." They got a braking distance of 134ft, from 60mph to zero. Is this considered average, or below average?

134 is pretty good, you will see full on sport cars stop 60-0 in around 110-120. And they have awesome tires. Slap on some good tires on the LGT and you will see a big increase in braking performance. Also stick on some better pads and that will help a little too. Unlike the WRX I find the Legacy brakes to be good performers. They are much more solid feeling and much more linear in stopping power. The wrx had to much front bias and was well known for soft brake pedal feel and horrible ABS. Subaru did an awesome job deciding to increase rotor diameter and extra inch all around and add vented rotors to the rear for a car that only weights a little more then a WRX (ok 200 pounds more, but thats just like I person)

I came across an old (1988!) issue of Autotech Magazine, in which they had 60-0 braking distances for several 1988-89 cars. The Porsche 944 Turbo S braked in 126 feet, the Mazda 323 GTX AWD Turbo braked in 134 feet, and the Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo braked in 125 feet. Since the GT wagon is 400-900 lbs heavier than any of these older cars, its braking distances seem to be decent in comparison.

Well, I'm just whipping through some issues of C&D for comparisons of 70-0 distances (that is the speed they test from.) I'll throw in the car type, weight, brakes, and tires for comparo. It may show there is a bit more to it such as the size of the master cylinder and more that I am just not fully knowledgable about. [b]Dist---Car---------Weight (Lbs)-----Brakes---------------Tires[/b] 168'-----330i------------3370----------Vent/Vent---Pilot Sport 225/45-17 158'-----330i PerPack--3370----------Vent/Vent---ContiSportContact 225/40-18F*255/35-18R 168'-----S60R-----------3717----------BREMBO-----PZero Rosso 235/40-18 158'-----R32-------------3397--13"FVent/10"RVent--Eagle F1 225/40R-18 [b]204'[/b]-----OBXT Ltd------3640---------Vent/Solid-----RE92 225/55-17 [b]190'[/b]-----BajaTurbo-----3751---------Vent/Solid-----RE92 225/60-16 166'-----STi-------------3260----------BREMBO------RE070 225/45-17 157'-----EVO------------3260----------BREMBO------Yoko A046 235/45-17 167'-----EVO RS--------3175----------BREMBO------Yoko A046 235/45-17 160'-----Elise------------1930---------Vent/Vent-----Yoko A048 195/50-16F,225/45R-17 161'-----S2000----------2835---------Vent/Solid-----S-02 205/55-17F*225/50-17R [b]192'[/b]-----TT Quattro-----3485---------Vent/Vent-----Pirelli P6 225/45-17 170'---Cayenne Turbo--5724------BIG BREMBO----PZero Rosso 275/45-19 This should give everyone an idea how important tires are and proper brakes, but that doesn't mean Brembos are needed either. The R32 is the shining star example using good rubber and a well setup brake system with 4-pots at each corner, but not made by Brembo. Take notice that the Audi TT which uses extremely mundane rubber is also garnering rather unrespectable distances. The worst rubber RE92's and the P6's all put down the worst times, gives you something to think about. I think one of the best things Subaru had was it's STi brake kit. It was effective and not a bank breaker (about $1-1.5k for all hardware front and rear, you can't even get a front set of Brembos for near that.) Those were an inch smaller on each end than the new GT brakes but with a bit more caliper & pad potential. Given good rubber and maybe slightly more agressive brake pads, we will be in STi stopping distance territory, the 165-175' range, much more respectable than the approximately 200' of the OBXT and Turbo Baja.

[quote name='agctr']Hmm be interesting to see what the E55 comes up at and do you think if you changed to braided lines and new brake fluid it the GT, would it assist more? or is it just a bunch of added expense that you just dont need. Adam.[/quote] More for brake feel than anything else. The only thing that will make the car stop faster is stickier tires.

He has the same Proxes 4's I have. I've been told part of it is the brake booster and master cylinder (unfortunately I don't know quite enough about brakes at this time to tell you exactly how they all integrate.) Like DM said, lines are more feel, but change in pads can make a slight difference, ultimately there are a number of things involved, more than just pads, rotor size, calipers, etc. The comparo really highlights what crap tires will do to your car in the dry, probably multiply that in the wet/snow, etc.

[quote name='SUBE555']He has the same Proxes 4's I have. I've been told part of it is the brake booster and master cylinder (unfortunately I don't know quite enough about brakes at this time to tell you exactly how they all integrate.) Like DM said, lines are more feel, but change in pads can make a slight difference, ultimately there are a number of things involved, more than just pads, rotor size, calipers, etc. The comparo really highlights what crap tires will do to your car in the dry, probably multiply that in the wet/snow, etc.[/quote] You guys are really tempting me just to get new tires and put off new wheels/tires. It's much more cost effective and I feel like I'm really missing out on what the car really has to offer...

I don't think new wheels are really needed, the car looks good as is IMO, but the tires are TONS better IMO than RE92's that i've driven on. You will be holding swooping offramps faster, braking better, and getting out in the country is so much more fun!

I can't get my GT to seel like it's leaving it's control point. It's amazing. I know there is a bit more body roll than my WRX with eibachs, but it's just as confident as the WRX was. The GT has better turn in than my WRX sedan did. I love it. I don't think that I am going to get new wheels until next summer at the latest. I love the 17s on the GT. They really look nice. If I were you I would get new rubber either way. It's not like you are going to want the RE92s on the stockers even if you switch them to winter wheels or something (not that you see "winter")

[quote name='SUBE555']I don't think new wheels are really needed, the car looks good as is IMO, but the tires are TONS better IMO than RE92's that i've driven on. You will be holding swooping offramps faster, braking better, and getting out in the country is so much more fun![/quote] Stop that! :x 215/45WR17 Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Blackwall $664.00+$33.94 shipping (ground shipping takes 1 day from Shreveport, Louisiana) @ TireRack... :o

[quote name='SUBE555']He has the same Proxes 4's I have. I've been told part of it is the brake booster and master cylinder (unfortunately I don't know quite enough about brakes at this time to tell you exactly how they all integrate.) Like DM said, lines are more feel, but change in pads can make a slight difference, ultimately there are a number of things involved, more than just pads, rotor size, calipers, etc. The comparo really highlights what crap tires will do to your car in the dry, probably multiply that in the wet/snow, etc.[/quote] The ABS programming must also affect stopping distances under these maximum braking test scenarios.

Archived