LegacyGT.com

Launch problems

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. But whatever. I've got a 2005 2.5i 4EAT. I'm not really sure how to describe the problem, but here goes. Every now and then when I take off from a stop, the car seems bogged down until it reaches ~2500 rpm, then it reacts like it normally does in first gear.

When I took it to Adventure Subaru, they said my description to sound like I had the car in second gear when I took off and couldn't reproduce the problem otherwise.

Of course, the problem is intermittant and I can't reproduce it while they're there.

Any suggestions?

maybe you thought you had a 2.5i but you really have a GT and it's just turbo lag

O! O! I know....At the factory they dropped the 2.5T in and accidently put a 2.5i hood on the car so you got the first 2.5ti which is really close to being a 2.5STi super wowza!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

hmm, sounds almost as if its getting to much gas, and its bogging down cus it cant make the power.

do you always fill up with the same oct at the same station?

I usually use the same station and always use 83. I have filled up with 93 before I had my accident in the beginning of the year.

I also mught add that it's usually worse when it's warmer out. It happened maybe once in the winter, but it was 70 degrees out when that happened. Stupid Arkansas winters.

i thought the minimum octane for the 2.5i was 85 or 87....def not 83

Ehh, maybe I'm just not remembering what I actually use. But I do know the dealer didn't tell me otherwise and I've used the same thing just about the entire time.

Edit: for some odd reason, 83 was stuck in my head. But I regularly use 87 octane.

Start with the basics, change your air filter and pull the plugs to what they look like. Check for loose wires, grounds or a vacuum hose that may have come loose. Good news is eventually it will happen all the time and the dealer will fix it, unless of course the car has always done this.

Start with the basics, change your air filter and pull the plugs to what they look like. Check for loose wires, grounds or a vacuum hose that may have come loose. Good news is eventually it will happen all the time and the dealer will fix it, unless of course the car has always done this.

I'm a total novice when it comes to cars. But I'll see what I can do. I honestly can't tell you when it started. I remember it during the middle of the summer for sure.

Just an update. I took my car to Adventure, and wouldn't you know it... it didn't show up like I'd hoped it would. The tech drove my car while I was there and noted that it did seem a little sluggish. Then around an hour after I dropped it off, I got a call from rocky. He said that the tech heard a sputter or something along those lines. Rocky told me the car caught up real quick, but they were gonna keep the car overnight.

I wonder if it has to do with the accident I was in Janurary third.

Damage to car

Engine broke?

I almost cried when I saw those pictures again.

ouch! did they replace the engine?

No they didn't. The body shop (that I trust) checked everything out prior to repairing that pulley. Aside from the pulley, there was an engine mount that broke. I was rather disappointed in my insurance company, but what do you expect from insurance. Aside from the mentioned problem, everything was fine after I got the car back.

I really don't mean to spam or anything, but i've got another update. Rocky said that they swapped out the plugs with a car they drove and that didn't show this problem. He has ordered a fuel/air ratio sensor.When I asked if that could cause that sputter, he said it most definatly could. Does that sound likely?

Perhaps me meand Mass Air Flow meter? That would be my guess. But after looking at those pics, there were quite a few things disturbed in that wreck. Have the tech put a vacuum gauge on the car and check the vacuum level. Low vacum means that a hose is disconnected, or that perhaps your intake got knocked loose, or many other things.

Perhaps me meand Mass Air Flow meter? That would be my guess. But after looking at those pics, there were quite a few things disturbed in that wreck. Have the tech put a vacuum gauge on the car and check the vacuum level. Low vacum means that a hose is disconnected, or that perhaps your intake got knocked loose, or many other things.

I'll give Rocky a call and ask him to check the vaccum level. But would the car even start if the vaccum level is low or if the intake was knocked loose?

Update: I called Rocky and he told me that part of the 7 hours of work yesterday, included checking the vaccum and stuff like that.

Archived