LegacyGT.com

For those who live in Mass - this is bad

chucktoo

I received the message below from a friend in a local car club. There's legislation about to be sent to the floor of the legislature banning aftermarket exhaust systems. Please send emails or make phone calls to Representative Golden to voice your opposition. We don't need any more restrictive legislation like this here.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems: Rep. Tom Golden Needs to Hear From YOU!!!

A bill (H.B. 2011) to ban the sale or installation of “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust” is on the verge of being sent to the floor of the Massachusetts State House of Representatives for a vote by all representatives. The bill is currently pending in the Committee on Third Reading. The chairman of this committee, Rep. Tom Golden (Rep.ThomasGolden@hou.state.ma.us) needs to hear from you!

We Urge You to Contact Rep. Tom Golden by Phone or E-mail Immediately to Request His Opposition to H.B. 2011

State Representative Tom Golden

Telephone: 617/722-2410

E-mail: Rep.ThomasGolden@hou.state.ma.us

H.B. 2011 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 2011 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

H.B. 2011 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org Forward a copy of this ALERT to all interested persons. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter!

That sucks. Unless an exhaust is measured to be well over 90 dB, I don't see where there's a problem. Harley motorcycles are rediculous.. why can't they start regulating those.. one time a group of Harleys rode through Milwaukee and it was deafening from fairly far away even.

For starters, this should be moved to the Northeast section. Second, this isn't new for MA. They have been trying for years, but it keeps on being blocked/stalled. NH had a law just like this until about a year ago when a new law took effect. Now it is vague at best, but aftermarket systems are basically allowed as long as they are not too loud.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=52339

It gives alot of State info. Just scroll to MA (or whatever State you wish).

that's really not that bad. a town in Maryland passed a local ordinance that is much more strict. Anything over 85 db after 9:00 pm and you can get a fine. try to find an aftermarket exhaust that isn't louder than 85 db. At least with your law the cops will hopefully only stop people with really loud exhausts.

that's really not that bad. a town in Maryland passed a local ordinance that is much more strict. Anything over 85 db after 9:00 pm and you can get a fine. try to find an aftermarket exhaust that isn't louder than 85 db. At least with your law the cops will hopefully only stop people with really loud exhausts.

I like both of these. More aftermarket performance exhausts than can be quiet. Less 87 civic with fart can "racing" up and down my street at 2am.. I just wish he got more power, takes him _forever_ to go away..

The Driving Force Newsletter is produced by:

Specialty Equipment Market Association, Inc. (SEMA)

1575 South Valley Vista Drive

Diamond Bar, California 91765 To view the newsletter as it was printed, go to http://www.semasan.com/images/df_0406.pdf.

We hope that the information contained in The Driving Force is useful and informative. We encourage our readers, hobbyists, enthusiasts, and car clubs to disseminate this information in newsletters and in meetings. If material from The Driving Force is used in your publications or in meetings, however, we do ask that you attribute the information to SEMA. Thank you and enjoy!

Copyright 2006 Specialty Equipment Market Association, Inc. (SEMA)

SEMA Driving Force - April 2006

An Exhausting Issue

Enthusiasts Rally Against Proposed Restrictions on Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

In a story that has been replayed in several state capitals across the country, SEMA Action Network (SAN) members have rallied to defeat legislation that would restrict the use of aftermarket or modified exhaust systems. Although the language of the proposed bills may vary, the persistence of dedicated enthusiasts from all segments of the auto hobby have produced the same results.

"These proposals are poorly crafted and fail to provide a clear objective and enforceable standard," said SEMA Vice President of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "In fact, most seek to prohibit 'excessive or unusual noise.' Under these provisions, law enforcement officials are permitted to make subjective and unfair judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation."

SAN members in Massachusetts seem to know all to well about this process as they have fought against such a proposal in the last four legislative sessions. As written, the current bill (H.B. 2011) would ban the sale or installation of aftermarket exhaust systems in that state. The bill is pending before the Massachusetts House of Representatives (go to www.semasan.com for updates) where it will be met with stiff resistance from enthusiasts in that state.

Earlier this year, the quick action by SAN members in New Jersey and Michigan resulted in the sponsors of legislation withdrawing their proposals. The bill in New Jersey (A.B. 757) would have directed the State Department of Environmental Protection to prescribe a decibel limit to which all aftermarket mufflers sold in the state would have to be certified.

However, the bill gave no instruction as to what the decibel limit should be. In Michigan, a bill (H.B. 5543) to ban vehicles equipped with replacement exhaust systems that differ from the design specifications of the original muffler was withdrawn after being met with fierce opposition from SAN members in that state.

Other recent victories include the defeat of a proposal in Illinois last year in which vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a Œvisual observation' would have failed emissions inspection. How emissions inspectors would have determined visually that an exhaust system increases noise was not explained in the bill.

Pennsylvania enthusiasts were also successful in defeating a bill to ban aftermarket systems in the closing days of their legislative session last year. In a remarkable sequence of events, the Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Transportation Committee contacted the SAN within 15 minutes of an e-mail action alert being sent to SAN members asking that we "call the dogs off."

"I am in awe by the rapid and overwhelming response by SAN members in standing up on behalf of the auto hobby," said SAN Director Jason Tolleson.

"Sponsors of these measures witnessed firsthand the effectiveness of this fast-acting, enthusiast-driven effort."

To provide lawmakers with an alternative, SEMA has produced model legislation that provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under this procedure, a calibrated sound meter (meeting industry standards) is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle, the vehicle engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower and the highest decibel reading is recorded. Adopted by California in August 2003, the 95-decibel program certifies tested vehicles to be in or out of compliance with the law. The SEMA model has also been enacted in Maine, Washington State and is currently pending in Virginia.

"The SEMA-model bill is a proven method for determining violations of the vehicle code and provides fair treatment to the many law-abiding and responsible enthusiasts who choose to customize their vehicles," added McDonald. "Simply banning aftermarket exhaust systems fails to recognize that these systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions, provide increased performance, and allow hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options."

For more information on these proposals, or to download a copy of the SEMA model bill, visit www.semasan.com.

I can understand the noise ordinance, but to ban aftermarket exhaust is asinine. I have aftermarket exhaust and it is not loud at all. I do have my resonator in too. I think what this proposed law is more for the straight pipe harley and the "grapefruit" launcher exhaust (ricers) you see on the streets.

People that already have them, are we grandfathered?

This sux, I don't have time to read it all now.......if it passes, looks like I'm moving ;)

Emailing soon ;) There's so much to say and no time to say it......I mean we already have "these" laws, just no one enforces them......why don't they just enforce the "laws" they already have. What about American cars, antiques....I mean there has to be so many "special" allowances....silly.....

To find contact on all local reps....

http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm

Here's some more reading, we should also contat Malia

http://www.mass.gov/legis/184history/h02011.htm

She looks like a winner

http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/eam1.htm

http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/eam1.jpg

And for those that want to read the bill here's the PDF link: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht02pdf/ht02011.pdf

Ok I'm done after this I promise.....after reading it doesn't seem "that bad"...

"from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced" "an exhaust systems which HAS BEEN MOIFIED in the manner which will aplify or increase the noise emitted" or "muffler cut-out"

so.. If I were a lawyer, I would argue my client's muffler was taken out of the box and put on the car... all of the original parts are still on it.. and the primary purpose of the muffler was not to increase noise, but make the car perform better...... and it had never been modified to do so

it is such a poorly written law it makes almost nothing people do to their car's illegal....;)

The silly thing here is that motorcycles are allowed to be louder than cars... which puzzles me as to why even bother having a limit for cars?

Not that silly in theory - bikes need to be heard so you don't kill someone changing lanes. I agree, however, that some of the harleys out there (my dad's included :D) are ridiculous.

Yeah def not kock'n the bikes, I love them......I'm just jealous that peeps don't give me crap when I used to be out a bike and it's loud....people love it, I get in my car and it's a lil loud and out come the police whistles........:D

Bikes rock, and louder bikes rock harder ;)

And more thankful everyday. Like the day I registered my new spec B and they told me no smog for 5 years!!! And there is no state sales tax, it takes me 5 minutes to drive to work, I no longer have to wait for the T.... yada yada yada. Man, I do miss real fish and chips and Dunkin Donuts though.

rjo

• 1 year later...
bismarck is officially cracking down on noise violations. the new city ordience is 80 dB limit measured at 20 feet, and since it has gone into effect on aug. 1st (2007), they have cited 13 people. five of which are harley's. i wish the police around here had something better to do than catch the big, bad noise polluters, but perhaps after their "show of power," citing a little better than one person per day for the rest of this month, they will get bored of it.

bismarck is officially cracking down on noise violations. the new city ordience is 80 dB limit measured at 20 feet, and since it has gone into effect on aug. 1st (2007), they have cited 13 people. five of which are harley's. i wish the police around here had something better to do than catch the big, bad noise polluters, but perhaps after their "show of power," citing a little better than one person per day for the rest of this month, they will get bored of it.

See even I as thinking this law is dumb do agree that some of they guys with harleys that literally rattle your mirrors when you are next to them at a stop light go a bit too far.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

:whore: on a clearly written law based on DB output, at a certain distance, of a given exhaust - OEM or aftermarket. This proposal as written is ludicrous IMNSHO. I'd move the hell out of there too if it passed.

:whore: on on the fart-can comments and the DB readings. I have the same problem in that I am often woken up at night by these retards racing by at 2:00am. Even with my "mild" Autospeed and my OEM Honda Interceptor exhaust, I wouldn't dream of revving/racing my engine in residential neihborhoods at night. Not that I am for this ordinance but if a DB-based one passed I believe it should apply across the board to Harleys, other bikes, and all cars.

My other car is a Chevy Suburban. A year or so ago, there was a bill presented to NYC attempting to ban Chevy Suburbans and Ford Excursions. It had some support believe it or not but ultimately failed (which doesn't mean they can't raise the issue again).

Definitely write your reps and state your opinions. It's really frightening to know there are so many idiots as elected representatives.

Sigh... :confused:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived