LegacyGT.com

Audio Newbie

GT Ski

To start, I am completely clueless when it comes to car audio. I just know I want it to sound good. If I ask some dumb questions please bear with me. I've read through most of the threads here and I hope this question has not been asked already... but: I know paper cone speakers are lame, I have them in my '96 OB and they suck. I was just looking to put a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers in front and rear of an 05 GT when I get it. I think I heard that giving powerful aftermarket speakers too little power is bad for them. Would adding an amp take care of the problem, and most importantly can you add an amp to the stock head unit without causing other problems? Also, would adding an amp cause problems for the little speakers in the top of the door? I'd take my car to a decent car audio shop for the install, so they'd most likely know what I'd need. I'd like to find out now what I should be considering though. Again, sorry if this has already been asked.

Consider getting some separate component speakers with a pair of tweeters and a pair of mid-range woofers. I prefer to overpower my speakers a little bit, but it is ok if they are slightly underpowered, as long as you do not increase the volume too much that causes the amp to clip the signal. You can add an amp to the stock head unit with some line output converters, depending on the inputs on the amp. The tiny speakers would receive the same power as the mids, so they would not be negatively affected by an amp. Also, when installing new audio equipment, sound deadening is very important. Besides getting new speakers, I strongly recommend sound deadening the door panels to prevent any rattling or destructive interference.

The other good thing to do is to take your system to a stero dealer and just ask them a few questions about upgrading. Try and go to a few places and after a while you will find what you want and the best thing is you will find the best place for you. Some dealers when talking about audio fill yr ears with rubbish, you see enough of them, and you will learn who you want to deal with. Franz has some great ideas above, follow his lead as well as you should be looking aka sounding, great. Adam.

Archived