LegacyGT.com

Zip ties and brake lines

wcbjr

Okay, I just want to get this random though thought of my head once and for all.

When I picked up my RB20 front clip a while back, the brake lines were completely zip tied (like 20-25 per line). They apparently were using them as a very cheap alternative to steel braided lines.

Now how much do the rubber lines actually flex? How much would zip ties help? I am looking for mathematical answers, not the "that's so stupid, that won't work" that I am already thinking.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

rubber lines should actually have a stainless steel jacket over teflon tube line for some OEM types.. it's just that the rubber jacket is not fancy and clear like the Techna-fit lines nylon jackets ;)

You can always cut a spare OEM line laying around to find out ;)

Keefe

Math please. What are the forces on the lines? I am already thinking what you said.

Yout talking a few thousand psi contained by the brake lines during HEAVY braking. A set of zipties arent going to do anything to contain that.

If you could somehow get them tight enough to compress the inner tube of the brake line as soon as you stepped on the brake it would be reasonable to beleive that a few thousand pounds of hydrualic pressure would snap the lock on a zip tie that are usually rated for 30 lbs of pressure.

Keefe is right about brake lines being braided. Usually they are braided with some sort of material and able to resist many thousand pounds of pressure.

http://www.parker.com/hpd/images/styles/HPD-421.jpg

Zip ties to hold them in place, or rather, out of the way, are excellent, just make sure to cover the brake lines with rubber if there is line -> metal contact anywhere, like a control arm, etc.

Zip ties to attempt to firm brake pedal is pretty absurd.

Warren

Zip ties to hold them in place, or rather, out of the way, are excellent, just make sure to cover the brake lines with rubber if there is line -> metal contact anywhere, like a control arm, etc.

Zip ties to attempt to firm brake pedal is pretty absurd.

Warren

+1

cut/split some small diameter silicon hose and wrap the brake line areas where it may contact with metal and use zip ties to hold it in place.

Keefe

Archived