LegacyGT.com

AWD working hard... smells?

I've got an 06 2.5i manual transmission.. only about 3k miles on the car.

it snowed about a foot here, and side streets are deep ruts and snow up to the axles... perfect for justifying the Legacy purchase because I'm the only one who is not stuck driving around cars everywhere. Feels great to not worry about getting stuck. Anyway...

Problem is I notice a strong burning kind of smell when I have to use first gear to get moving, from a standstill, and I just know it's gotta be taking all four wheels to do it. I'm not half-clutching.. The engine is workin' hard to move the car, granted.. I figure the smell is related to somethin in the AWD system - maybe clutch-like component that transfers torque? What's causing the smell?

There was a burning type smell when the car was brand new, and we were told to expect a smell as oils on the new engine parts burn off. But that was miles ago, and this smell is different.

Regards

Scott

I notice the same thing and posted about it last month. The consensus was that it was the center diff heating up and it is perfectly normal. It makes me want to change my fluids according the the factory schedule though. This is only present in manual tranny cars.

Archived