LegacyGT.com

Pin Stripe Removal... bring your Legacy back to the future.

• 3 months later...
You know my legacy came with pin stripes as well. The dealer put them on, but they painted them on. My wife really hated them, she refused to buy the car with the pin stripes on. So they took them off and they were going to charge 200 dollars more if we kept them on. It took them a godd 2-3 hours to remoe them.

• 5 months later...

yep... paint fades with time where exposed to light. Red is the worst.

Make sure what you are seeing is paint fade and not just oxidation though. If it's just oxidized you can have it buffed out and you won't see the areas that were covered anymore. Go out to ocdetails.com and read up on paint care and repair.

It's amazing what you can do with the right tools and some elbow grease.

http://www.buspilots.com/images/photoalbum/useralbum_50/eddy_buff.jpg

I've heard of that approach before... never tried it though so I'm not sure.

I would imagine with your car being that new that all you'd need to do is peel the stripes off and use rubbing alcohol or goo gone to get the adhesive off.

If you haven't used something like that on your debadged area after you removed the badges, you may just be seeing adhesive residue and not a difference in paint color.

You're car just seems too new to have any paint fading that would show up after you debadged... it's gotta be residue or just in need of being buffed out to a shine again. I can only speculate and am no expert... if in doubt swing by a local detailer or auto body shop. They can tell you real quick and likely for free.

About 10 years ago I had a Ford Ranger with some hideous green pin stripes. One night my wife told me that she couldn't stand them any longer. After about a 12 pack I told her "Honey, I'm going to get rid of those pin stripes for you" So I promptly opened another beer and took a razor blade to the stripes. :eek:

Needless to say I took off as much paint as anything else. I thought it was pretty funny at the time, until the next morning. What a dumb a$$ I was. Ironically, shortly there after I traded the truck in on a used '97 Outback.

• 1 month later...

my spec B has a pinstripe on it when I just bought it (I pick it up tomarrow.....) and I wasnt sure about it when i heard over the phone it had one but i think I like it...

As for getting stickers off..... Anybody with a boat knows that if you try to take that square registration off before putting the new one on it is made to rip into a million pieces so somebody cant peel it off your boat and put it on theirs. Hairdryer will work if you have a heat gun (i use mine to use heat-shrink when wiring way quicker then hairdryer) then use it to heat up that glue first will make it easier new or old decal...

I'm quite alarmed that people actually need a how to guide on how to peel off a pinstripe. (Although the effort in doing so is appreciated)

yeah. i told the dealer no pin stripe etc...they removed it on day of purchase. no marks, no scratches, no swirls. can never tell it was there.

if you or anyone else had pressed enough, they would have done it.

• 2 months later...

This is a great guide. I was able to remove all the pinstripes from my LGT in just over half an hour. At first you break them alot and have to peel again 5 or 6 times per stripe but by the end I was pulling both stripes (my car had a thin upper and thick lower stripe) off a whole panel at the same time with no breaking.

I was a little worried that there might be some fading, but the stripes came off cleanly and I can't see any difference in color, even up close. Maybe because my car is navy?

Anyway, thanks again for the guide.

i think I might remove mine soon cause a few parts of it have peeled away. I like the deep red stripe on the silver car with red leather but doesnt look good with parts of it missing

• 1 month later...
Heat it up! I use a hair dryer often to do that.

Heating it up definitely helps. I used to work at a decal shop, and that's usually how we got most of the stripes off. Just don't yank the stripes off either. Usually, the slower you pulled them off, the less "gunk" was left behind. And to get the left over residue off, they actually make an adhesive romover to take it off w/in seconds...it's just a liquid that you either spray on or dab on with a paper towel or something. Then you can just pretty much peel the stuff right off. You can also use something like "goo-be-gone" or the like. This also comes in handy (at least for me) to get the pesky black marks that had built up at the tops of my windows from where the glass rubs over the weatherstripping when closing. Maybe I'm the only one with that problem, but if you have that issue also, the goo-be-gone stuff works for that too.

As for painted on ones....sorry...I don't have any good advice for those.

And maybe i'm the only one that thinks not all pin-stripes look horrible.:rolleyes:

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived