LegacyGT.com

have owned my spec b since nov. and with my other car ( toyota) i always leave it running when getting gas. i remember back in nov. i left the subaru running while refueling, the gasoline gauge never reset until i shut off the car about 5 minutes later to see if it would reset. i understand the safety/security reasons for shutting off the car during this time, but would the gauge eventually reset or only if i shut off the car? never tried refueling with car running again after that...just curious...06 model specific? btw~searched "refueling" , "gas", shut car off getting gas etc etc. :lol:

ya but there might be the day you become a spec B rocket into the sky!!!.

news flash: the spec b runs on gasoline. in the unlikely event that masterkilla decides to hose down his engine bay one day with the gas nozzle, then yes, i suppose there could be some sort of explosion. perhaps there should be a recall of some sort. :lol:

That's strange, on my '06 GT my gas level displays the correct amount of fuel if I leave the car running while filling up.

From what I remember, the '05s have an issue with the gas guage updating while you are filling up a tank while the car is on.

yup, the 05's (only) will not register a fill until the ignition key has been cycled. BTW - gasoline creates some rather volatile vapours - all it takes is a small spark to ignite them - ever had a slight misfire on your corolla?:icon_surp

Funny that this question pops up as I was refueling the other night and I put the gas cap under the gas trigger to keep it going so that I could wait in my warm car. The car was off but I switched the ignition to auxillery mode so I could see if the guage was moving (I wanted to be amused). It didn't move. Initially when I tried it I just pushed the trip button to light up the guage. I thought turning it to aux might help but it stayed at E. Once I fired up the beast it moved the needle all the way to the top. Not sure if this is really a problem, I am not going to get the dealer to look at it. I usually have my car off when refueling anyways.

no misfires ever while doing this to the corolla...guess i've been lucky..perhaps i didnt leave the subaru on long enough to notice a change in fuel...maybe it takes longer than my corolla as well...ohh well thanks for the replies. skyrocket's in flight.......

I had my car off.. but the key in the on position (radio and gauges were on)... when I filled up a few months back. I left it in the on position so my wifes seat heater would stay on.

Anyhow... the gauge on my 05 did the same thing. I had to cycle to off before it would read.

Funny that this question pops up as I was refueling the other night and I put the gas cap under the gas trigger to keep it going so that I could wait in my warm car.

:eek: Wow that is extremely dangerous... you should never go sit in your car while refueling, especially during the winter when the air is dry. When you sit in you car, your body builds up static electricity as your clothing rubs against the seats. The next metal object you touch will likely generate a spark. If that object happens to be near the fueling nozzle, it could ignite the vapors and cause a flash fire.

Also, don't you guys that leave the car running get check engine lights due to depressurization?

:eek: Wow that is extremely dangerous... you should never go sit in your car while refueling, especially during the winter when the air is dry. When you sit in you car, your body builds up static electricity as your clothing rubs against the seats. The next metal object you touch will likely generate a spark. If that object happens to be near the fueling nozzle, it could ignite the vapors and cause a flash fire.

Also, don't you guys that leave the car running get check engine lights due to depressurization?

Oh yeah just to add fuel to the fire, I was talking on my cell phone too. :iam: how I haven't self combusted yet.

Couldn't agree more....remember when Krammer from Aerosmith blew up his Ferrari....wasn't that from static electricity? I think Mythbusters did something on it too....doesn't take much. If you're gonna sit in your car, when you do get out touch something prior to grabbing the fuel nozzle.

Quote from news source:

Kramer once exploded.

The drummer was gassing up his Ferrari near Boston in 1998 when it went up in flames, badly burning his arms. “He left the ignition on,” Tyler explains.

- The Mortgage Man

Oh yeah just to add fuel to the fire, I was talking on my cell phone too. :iam: how I haven't self combusted yet.

Cell phones don't cause sparks, and how many people hold their cell phones near the fuel door? Static electricity on your body is the major cause of sparks.

']No sh*t! Some people are dumber than doorknobs. BTW' date=' NJ is another state that tries to prevent inadvertent suicides.[/quote']

I still see people in NJ who leave their cars on while it's being filled up.

Archived