LegacyGT.com

navi comparo: subaru vs. honda/acura

DMan

Anyone have experience with both the honda/acura navigation system vs. the one in the '06 subarus? Thanks.

We have both. My wife has an Acura MDX and I have a Spec B. The Acura system is head and shoulders better than anything else.

The Spec B navigation system is VERY user-hostile to use. Difficult to navigate around on the map, verbal commands are not as good, no altitude, etc. etc. However, it does allow you to enter "memory points" and "way points" to tag routes. Getting rid of them and quickly getting to your next destination is a pain. Finally, and this is a BIGGIE, the navi locks up when the car is in motion. I guess SOA didn't realize that sometimes the *passenger* may be able to enter a destination while moving.

Hope this helps.

If your car doesn't come with a nav system....try a Garmin Street Pilot....does all that stuff and can be taken from car to car.....just plug and play....also downlodable maps for the rest of the world from their website.....Very COOL

We have both. My wife has an Acura MDX and I have a Spec B. The Acura system is head and shoulders better than anything else.

Hope this helps.

I know this can be location dependent but what have you found in terms of database accuracy since the two units use different map providers? Does one show more new subdivisions than the other?

Didn't have any experience about the Subaru nav but the Honda/Acura is way better than the Mercedes. The '06 nav system on our Odyssey have voice recognition while on the '05 TL is doesn't have voice recognition for the nav. It's so user friendly compared to the MB nav.

The nav on my MB isn't touchscreen but then again it's from '01!

I've seen some older Audis advertised with navi and all it is is a small directional arrow on the cluster gauge.

• 11 months later...
You can not beat the honda/acura navi. They work while you are moving so you can find a gas station/restaurant without first stopping. I traded in a honda accord v6 with navi for this 07 subaru (with Navi) and I miss the way the navi works in the honda. I have not gone accross the US yet but the 2 discs (east & west) for the subaru seems like it is going to be a pain. I did not find out till I paid for the car and took delivery that there are 2 discs for the US. I also miss the storage etc... I do have another honda with navi so I still can say that the honda navi is the best. I also have a portable Magellan RM760 navi system and that I like better than the subaru navi. I also drive limos and the cadillac and ford/lincoln navi are worse then subaru. If I could get the subaru to work while driving, it would be almost as good as the hondas.

The Honda/Acura nav is made by alpine, and is a great system. My wifes car is a TSX with nav, and it's simply amazing. It's an 05 so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. No bluetooth / zagat ratings, etc.

The only thing I don't like about it is the $185 fee to update you maps.

I love the Acura Nav. I have tried most on the market while test driving cars for my Girl Friend. The Subi nav is in the worst.

I would rather have a portable GPS then the Subi nav.

Portable GPS is the only REAL answer:)

I am using a Garmin C-330 Street Pilot in my LGT and my wifes Impreza and etc etc. I take it with me and use it wherever I want.....We were in Thailand, for a couple of months, and took it with us to use in our rental car (Toyota VIOS) and it navigated us all over Thailand,,,,same accuracy as North America.:wub: Try that with your Acura or Subbie or whatever??:confused:

Software updates are free and new maps are $75 when they come out. Free downloads of thousands of POI's and NO lockout features at all.:icon_mrgr

Besides, you can put it in your pocket and use it as a "Walk-about" GPS in any location that you have the maps for.:icon_wink

GPS in new cars is NOT an included feature...You ARE paying for it........:(

GARMIN........FTW:lol:

Honda/Acura is head & shoulders better than the Subaru unit but is not the best anymore......The Nav unit found in the Lexus 460L is unbelievable & just happends to be the same Nav unit found in the new Tundra;)
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The Sube Nav works great for me. Once you learn the ins and outs, it really is a versatile unit. The lock out function is limiting but I've managed to find creative ways around it.

I think you need to share your methods for letting a "passenger" enter nav data while driving. PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

I think you need to share your methods for letting a "passenger" enter nav data while driving. PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

It depends upon what you what to do. Typing in an address is impossible but if you basically know what direction you want to go you tap in a way point. Same thing if you want change your route. When you are on the an interstate, the nav indicates what services are available at the various exits. Being able to access all functions on fly would be cool but you can't so I make it work for me my own way.

Archived