LegacyGT.com

Need a little help

So, Im moving out to the boonies a little which means a couple things:

1. I have a nice brand new house for cheap

2. Despite being cheap for a nice house its still expensive to me

3. My commute trippled and included bumper to bumper traffic

4. My wifes commute has doubled.

So here is the quandry.

1. Driving stick in traffic stinks... I used to do it (476 to philly) every morning and hated it.

2. I leased my subaru because I barely drive 10,000 miles a year... thats about to change.

3. My wife will be driving my car quite a bit... she hates driving stick and her commute can really stink (202 bumper to bumper)

4. I cannot increase my payment by much

I looked at a ton of cars in my price range and none of them do it for me.

Went to the dealership and they said they would pay my car off. They have a 2006 GT wagon navigation with 1200 miles on it for 25999.

Its the same color as mine but has the leather and the moonroof etc.

Should I go for it?

+1 - also for the convenience of the automatic.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I hate automatics. Let me clarify that: I *HATE* automatics. I've never owned one, and hopefully never will. But if I had to commute in *east coast rush hour daily I'd probably get one anyways. I think you should look into trading with someone for a used one to save some money, but either way I think you're right to consider one.

Also, if you're like me and driving automatics just isn't satisfying, you should look into getting a cheap (< $8k) but fun to drive second car. I'd almost certainly get one if I needed an automatic for my commute.

*Traffic in the SF bay area usually doesn't compare to the big east coast cities. I used to live in the DC area and I'd *never* drive a stick daily through the bad parts of its rush hour, but I might tough it out here.

Also, if you're like me and driving automatics just isn't satisfying, you should look into getting a cheap (< $8k) but fun to drive second car. I'd almost certainly get one if I needed an automatic for my commute.

Look above....he has a 350Z. ;)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

So here is the quandry.

1. Driving stick in traffic stinks... I used to do it (476 to philly) every morning and hated it.

2. I leased my subaru because I barely drive 10,000 miles a year... thats about to change.

3. My wife will be driving my car quite a bit... she hates driving stick and her commute can really stink (202 bumper to bumper)

Went to the dealership and they said they would pay my car off. They have a 2006 GT wagon navigation with 1200 miles on it for 25999.

Should I go for it?

Go for it. I got the 5eat for the exact same reasons and love it.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Went to do it and the deal fell through. The navigation system was one of those cheezy retro fitted ones mounted between front vents. The piece was popping out. I called another dealer and they said the car was suspected of water damage because they were trying to sell the car to other dealers cheap. I looked at another dealer and they were giving me nothing for my car. Guess I will just have to hold onto it and mod the crap out of it.

... i cant drive an automatic anymore without hating it ... my family drives fords, i was smart and got a subie with a 5 speed. i have only been driving it regular for a week and automatically both of my feet push into the floor, i was in my dads truck the other day and my left foot clips his break (they are about 2.5 times wider and in my car). but yea i hate automatics, they are just noo fun
I love my car ... basically.

I don't see what the hatred of automatics really stems from. I have driven both manuals and automatics over the years and have no problem with either tranny type. A manual is obviously more fun to drive and allows greater control of the car; however, autos have gotten pretty good these days and for all practical purposes the trouble they save you is worth a little lost fun unless you don't live in a city.

The way I see it my main car will always be an auto, yet if I make enough money to buy a second car just for fun it'll def be a manual.

:) I don't understant the H8orate for automatics, either. Especially a decent unit like our LGT's 5EAT.

Certainly, it's not as responsive nor as intuitive (I like to describe trying to drive an outright automatic, even one with "sport shift"-type modulation, as trying to "outsmart the car," whereas with a traditional clutch-and-stick manual setup, I liken to actually "being a part of the car, mechanically") - but in many instances, the performance difference is nil, and the automatic both offers less wear-and-tear through driver-induced shock as well as can be much more consistent overall.

My enjoyment and preference for traditional clutch-and-stick manuals is well-known here. Hell, I daily drove a manual with a 45-lb. push-effort clutch for quite a while - and I never even remotely thought about complaining, even in gridlock.

I simply enjoy rowing through the gears. :)

However, if someone neelnug, cites excellent reasons for needing to compromise with an automatic, despite his "preference/enjoyment" otherwise - AND the slush-box is a proven one with decent performance characteristics (like ours), then why not?

So here is the quandry.

THIS MAN doesn't enjoy driving stick in traffic.

This man's wife doesn't enjoy driving at all - AND furthermore, will definitely not tolerate such in-traffic. Additionally, she will drive the vehicle for a significant portion of the time.

If it doesn't fit *_HIS_* lifestyle, who are we to try to convince him otherwise?

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

:) I don't understant the H8orate for automatics, either. Especially a decent unit like our LGT's 5EAT.

Certainly, it's not as responsive nor as intuitive (I like to describe trying to drive an outright automatic, even one with "sport shift"-type modulation, as trying to "outsmart the car," whereas with a traditional clutch-and-stick manual setup, I liken to actually "being a part of the car, mechanically") - but in many instances, the performance difference is nil, and the automatic both offers less wear-and-tear through driver-induced shock as well as can be much more consistent overall.

My enjoyment and preference for traditional clutch-and-stick manuals is well-known here. Hell, I daily drove a manual with a 45-lb. push-effort clutch for quite a while - and I never even remotely thought about complaining, even in gridlock.

I simply enjoy rowing through the gears. :)

However, if someone neelnug, cites excellent reasons for needing to compromise with an automatic, despite his "preference/enjoyment" otherwise - AND the slush-box is a proven one with decent performance characteristics (like ours), then why not?

THIS MAN doesn't enjoy driving stick in traffic.

This man's wife doesn't enjoy driving at all - AND furthermore, will definitely not tolerate such in-traffic. Additionally, she will drive the vehicle for a significant portion of the time.

If it doesn't fit *_HIS_* lifestyle, who are we to try to convince him otherwise?

:)

Amen, I got the 4eat in the BajaT and the 5eat in the LGT for the exact same reasons. I HATE driving in traffic with a 5mt. My wife barely drives my car (she has her own FXT) but can't really drive a MT transmission, so on the rare chance we need to swap cars, she can then drive it. Also From the numbers I see, there is such little differance in performance between the 5MT and the 5EAT w/ sportshift that subaru uses. The respons takes a little getting used to, but I don't knotice it anymore. When I change a gear it is almost instantanious and about 25% quicker at changing the gear than I would be able to in a 5MT. So to each his/her own, get what you want, not what you are told to get. If you like the 5mt and want it, get it. If you like the 5eat and want it, get it.

Ok enough rambling.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

If you are in HEAVY traffic manual is tough. I have bad knees and on my old Nissan I actually started to enjoy it when the clutch started slipping :D One hour in heavy traffic for me max then i'm dying! Still love to row and if it wasn't for the wife I would have gotten the stick I don't care how good autos get its still a very disconnected feeling.

I thought New York had bad traffic until I started travelling around the country :)

Ehh. I commute every day on 202 with a 5 speed and its not that bad. The Legacy is really pretty decent as far as crawling in traffic goes (compared to other manuals I've had). Why not get off 202 and take back roads? Then you can enjoy your 5 speed and your drive to work.

So here is the quandry.

Should I go for it?

I too moved into the boonies. It sucks, I know, but the peace and quite and the cheap living cant be beat.

there gonna pay yours off? deff go for it!!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Archived