LegacyGT.com

AWD question

Hi all. Enjoying my new Legacy. Have a question. I want to be able to explain why my AWD system is better than say, a CRV or RAV4. But since I don't have a manual transmission with 50/50 split, does that mean my AWD is in fact the same as those others? When you opt for the 4EAT it dumbs down the AWD to level of all the rest?

do you have the legacy GT auto with the 5EAT, for the Legacy 2.5i with the 4EAT?

the 5EAT actually has a very advanced AWD system in that close resembles that in the STi. (minus some of the bells and whistles)

the 2.5i with the 4EAT uses a pretty basic haldex system with a front wheel bias - very similar to that found in many small car based suv's. (at least this is how it was before... doing some quick research for you to get some better info)

http://subaru.com/allwheeldrive/ver2005/index.jsp

to learn all about the different awd systems that subaru uses

Continuous AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous-type locking center differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction.

Active AWD: Models equipped with 4-speed automatic transmission utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch to distribute power to where traction is needed. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, throttle position and braking, to help determine torque distribution and direct it to the wheels with optimum traction.

Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed automatic transmission utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch in conjunction with a planetary-type center differential, and a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential. Torque distribution is normally configured at a performance-oriented rear-wheel-biased 45/55 split front-to-rear. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, throttle position and braking to help determine torque distribution and direct it to the wheels with optimum traction.

every model with the manual transmission uses the continuous awd with a 50/50 split

the 4EAT models get the active awd (haldex system) -- used to be a 90/10 split.. not sure if this is still accurate or not.

the 5EAT models use the VTD system with a 45/55 rear bias.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_terms.html#awd

This site also explains some of the differences in the AWD systems. The 2.5i with 4EAT uses Subaru's "Active AWD".

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

can we install the DCCD on the GT 5MT?

I wish our cars came with it heheeheheheheh

You can, but it's a very difficult in$$$$$$$$$$tall, so is the 6MT!!!!

heheheeheheh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

the LGT 5EAT has a 45/55% front/rear awd bias, the 2.5i uses a standard 50/50 split

The manual transmissions have 50/50 splits, but doesn't the 4EAT still use 90/10?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

So, I have the 2.5i with 4 speed auto. That means I am "active AWD" with 90/10 split. But is that 90/10 full-time? Meaning, 100% of the time, at least 10% of my drive comes from rear wheels. I thought most other AWD systems were 100% front biased UNTIL slippage occurred. So Subaru drives the rear wheels on my car, at least a little bit, ALL OF THE TIME.

So that is the perceived benefit of my AWD system compared to mfgr's basic AWD systems for cars. Like Vibe/Matrix, etc....

Thanks!

So, I have the 2.5i with 4 speed auto. That means I am "active AWD" with 90/10 split. But is that 90/10 full-time? Meaning, 100% of the time, at least 10% of my drive comes from rear wheels. I thought most other AWD systems were 100% front biased UNTIL slippage occurred. So Subaru drives the rear wheels on my car, at least a little bit, ALL OF THE TIME.

So that is the perceived benefit of my AWD system compared to mfgr's basic AWD systems for cars. Like Vibe/Matrix, etc....

Thanks!

You have a 90/10 front bias... however it's changing back to front all the time... active is rarely static. unlike a Rav or a CRV... you are AWD all the time. the split just varies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah the split moves all the time depending on acceleration, cornering and braking etc etc to a maximum of 50/50. If you accelerate hard for example it goes to 50/50 to avoid wheel spin, even in the snow I couldn't get the fronts to brake loose. If you hit the brakes hard it goes to 90/10.

On the older Active AWD drives there use to be a programming map that the computer followed, if a then b if x then y kind of thing. But on the later ones it is continously variable off the sensors to be completely seamless and near undetectable.

Thanks for the info!

Hey, I have searched, I can't find out how to plug in my personal/car info so that it shows up when I post.

What button do I press to get there?

"USER CP"

Hi all. Enjoying my new Legacy. Have a question. I want to be able to explain why my AWD system is better than say, a CRV or RAV4. But since I don't have a manual transmission with 50/50 split, does that mean my AWD is in fact the same as those others? When you opt for the 4EAT it dumbs down the AWD to level of all the rest?

Honda Crv will work only in FWD when speed goes over 60 km/h. CRV uses a system that looks like an hydraulic pump. When front whells spin faster than rear wheels, the system send power to the back until wheelspin stop and then return to FWD only. If wheels spin for too long ( like trying to unstuck you car from deep snow) the system will overheat.

So its good mainly to go uphill on snowy roads or start on icy surfaces

Hi All: Where does one look to see if his Legacy has 4EAT or 5EAT ??? It is not

in the Vin #. I have a 05 Legacy GT LTD. wagon with the Sport shift. The

window sticker shows 4 Speed auto BUT in Sport mode I can go the 5th

gear. Will it go to 5th in Auto IF i have it.??--Confusing !!!! Only have a

about 500 mi. on it so still learning (or trying to):confused:

Senior Deadeye Sends

Hi All: Where does one look to see if his Legacy has 4EAT or 5EAT ??? It is not

in the Vin #. I have a 05 Legacy GT LTD. wagon with the Sport shift. The

window sticker shows 4 Speed auto BUT in Sport mode I can go the 5th

gear. Will it go to 5th in Auto IF i have it.??--Confusing !!!! Only have a

about 500 mi. on it so still learning (or trying to):confused:

Senior Deadeye Sends

I would be that it was a typo. I don't think that any of hte 05 or 06 LGT's came with the 4eat. I think thaty they all came with 5eat. Someone correct me if I am wrong. and Yes in auto mode it will upshift into 5 if you have it (assuming I am right).

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

the 4EAT models get the active awd (haldex system) -- used to be a 90/10 split.. not sure if this is still accurate or not.

It's NOT Haldex!!!! It might work in a similar manner but it's not made by Haldex. If I were an admin I'd ban you for a week for even saying that.

There are different Haldex system but it's usually FWD most of the time, and only uses the rear wheels when the front wheels slip.

http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm

Note how they mention it's OK to tow using 2 wheels, and activation/deactivation.

IIRC the older Legacys like mine (4EAT) are a 90/10 split. Whatever it is, it works great in the snow.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived