LegacyGT.com

Hankook RS2 anyone?

jsalicru

Im thinking about picking these up and replacing the RE92s with them. Just really curious if anyone has ran these tires.. I'd like to know your subjective/objective findings, etc.

How does it compare to the RT-615? I know the RS2 is lighter, but what about everything else?

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

What do you think? RT-615 vs. Hankook RS2.

My prices are:

RS2: 225/45/17 $400/set.

RT-615: 225/45/17 $500/set.

Which one and the pros and cons please?

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

The RS2's look like a good overall tire. The car and driver article placed it near the top in autocross time and lateral grip. My only concern is the last place showing in dry braking.

I'm not a tire engineer, but I can't understand how a tire can do so well in dry lateral grip and be so bad in dry braking.

The RS2's look like a good overall tire. The car and driver article placed it near the top in autocross time and lateral grip. My only concern is the last place showing in dry braking.

I'm not a tire engineer, but I can't understand how a tire can do so well in dry lateral grip and be so bad in dry braking.

sidewall construction laterally vs longitudeally are different. Where you skimp out on the weight will eventually show up in the lack of strength somewhere.

Keefe

Well, I'm going RS2, so I will let you guys know my impressions when I get them on the car.

Well, now I dont know... Between Monday, when I called, and now.. they went out of stock, which sucks. Locally, the 615s are $600.. I don't think so. I might either wait until RS2 come back in stock or bite it and get the 615s

Well, I'm going RS2, so I will let you guys know my impressions when I get them on the car.

Well, now I dont know... Between Monday, when I called, and now.. they went out of stock, which sucks. Locally, the 615s are $600.. I don't think so. I might either wait until RS2 come back in stock or bite it and get the 615s

Did you check http://www.tireswap.com or http://www.vulcantire.com for the RT-615s? They are like $490 shipped...

Keefe

funny thing. I've been on jury duty the past two days. (got booted off the prospective jury today probably because I'm an engineer. The prosecution typically doesn't like engineers 'cause we're considered too analytical and non-emotional......really!?)

anyway, one guy there was the district V.P. for sales & marketing for discount tire centers. we chatted during the breaks about my car and tires in general. He was big-time advocate for Falken tires and the 615s in particular. he said they are nearly as track-worthy as R-compound but with better wear life. he talked about differences in the rubber compounding, silica additives and other stuff like that. he said the 615s were a big step forward from the prior 215s.

I'm sure he had a bias 'cause he was wearing a Falken jacket. but he was confident in telling me to try out the 615s. I told him that I probably would for my next tire purchase.

I currently have the Hankooks as my autox tire. Compared to the Falkens they don't heat cycle as quickly, which is to say they retain their grip longer than the Falkens. The guys running falkens at my test and tune were done after maybe 6 or so runs where as my Hankooks were good to at least 8 hard runs. For the price I'd get the Hankooks. I would say that when they wear out, you might want to consider trying the Falkens. That way you can over the course of their life decide which is better. I will likely try a different tire after mine wear out just to get some variety.

Well, now Im not sure what Im gonna do. I might actually bite a bullet and get some 245/35 Dunlop Sport Race that I found and couple them with 18 x 8.5 SSR GT2.

Undecided which route I want to take now...

1. Stock wheels, RT-615s

2. SSR GT2 18 x 8.5 w/ Dunlop Sport Race 245/35/18

The DSSRs are a good PRACTICE tire for the track, it wont warm up enough for autox use and certainly not competitive enough for autox.. good practice track tire.. as for the DSSRs, they are R-compounds, so try not to drive on the street as the heat cycles will shorten the life of the tire (even if you still have full or near half tread on them).
Keefe

Well, I decided on RT-615. I will be getting them this week locally for $500. i decided to take the plunge. The RS2 are back in stock for $400 but decided that since I always wanted to try them... why the heck not.

Archived