LegacyGT.com

Hello All...

New guy here and I was really interested in the Legacy GT. First let me explain I am a college student so I only make around 400 a month... I am really interested in the 05 Legacy GT's and was wondering how much of a down payment I am looking at in order to afford one. I am making the trip to the nearest dealer sometime this week so I am pretty interested.

Can some of you let me know how much you put down originally? How much payments are? Thanks in advance.

I really hope this car is for me because so far it seems like it.

One more question though: Can I get the navigation on the GT as an upgraded option (obviously = $$$) or is it only available with the SpecB version. Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, I think that you would need to put a heafty down payment for you to afford it. I am assuming that the 400/month is your take home and you have bills to pay with that was well.

In 05 there wasn't a GPS option, but there is in 06: gps w/ 5eat only or spec B

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Hate to rain on your parade, but you're forgeting about INSURANCE!!! I'm assuming you're under 25, in which case they will rape you regardless of how good your driving record is.

I pay $580 for 6 months for both cars. I'm scared to think how much I'd have to pay if I had an LGT.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

An LGT while in college with just $400/month.........don't do it.

I started my first job out of college about 2 years ago and even though I'm matching my 401K and saving a bit every month, I still regret getting the LGT. It's the first and worst significant financial decision I've made since going out on my own.

I know everybody's situation is unique but in my humble opinion, save the money for later.

P.S. I'm still bone stock, imagine if I had contracted the mod bug.

I keed I keeed

I leased my '05 XT with nothing down (just the trade) & no first payment. I traded in my '97 OB LTD for $6k. The lease was then $399 a month. That's not really a good deal though. I'm sure you could do better, especially in a different area (Subaru's sell like hotcakes around here) and the GT is less than the XT.

Even at only 24 yo, insurance actually went down considerably from my '97 OB. From around $650/6mos to $408/6mos, same coverage (100/300 collision - Progressive rocks!).

Still...living on $400 a month. Wait till you graduate and then get the kick ass car. :) That's what I did.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Hello All...

New guy here and I was really interested in the Legacy GT. First let me explain I am a college student so I only make around 400 a month... I am really interested in the 05 Legacy GT's and was wondering how much of a down payment I am looking at in order to afford one. I am making the trip to the nearest dealer sometime this week so I am pretty interested.

Can some of you let me know how much you put down originally? How much payments are? Thanks in advance.

I really hope this car is for me because so far it seems like it.

One more question though: Can I get the navigation on the GT as an upgraded option (obviously = $$$) or is it only available with the SpecB version. Thanks

Well, I just got out of college and here was my deal. Just bought a new 2005 LGT Limited. I took a 5-yr finance with $0 down. My payments are approximately $550/mo and my insurance is $730/6mo (about 150/mo). I'm 24 for reference. LGT Limited for me was cheaper to insure than Accord, Maxima, Altima, WRX, 9-3, etc. It was the cheapest of the bunch to insure, and offered the best performance. Good luck, but dont buy something you cant afford! I'm sure being in college money is tight to come by.

Go Cardinals!

I pay weekly because I get paid weekly, and I have automatic payments taken out. I pay $97.30 /week. My insurance on the 2005 LGT and 2004 Forester XT are $720 every 6months for insurance.

I don't think you would probably be able to afford the LGT unless you are looking for a high mileage used one.

I'm looking to buy in the next few weeks a LGT Limited. My calculations:

Price= $26000

down = $15,000

APR = 5.9%

Term = 30months

Monthly Payment = $420

carbuyingtips.com actually has a nice excel spreadsheet to calculate costs for you.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm

somehow you did your math wrong. that shouldn't be 420/mo. in the high 100s early 200s at least.

I put $6000 down and with 2.9% financing I'm still paying a little over $400 a month. A new car (even remotely new) is not what a college kid making less than $5000 a year should even be thinking about. We all know of cars that we want and can't afford, but we live within our means. As long as you are in college you might as well learn that one. On your income you wouldn't be approved for one anyway. If you aren't making 3 or 4 times what your car payment is then you can expect to get turned down for the loan. Even if you are willing to starve to drive a new car, the bank isn't going to bet on it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Buy a used, 10 year old car for now. That's what I had and as a college student, you don't need more. Want more, yeah, need, nope. That will come. My 2 cents worth of experience.

the guy seems to have a good bit of money either saved or coming from the folks, b/c he asked how much he should put down to afford it, not if he could afford it.

That being said, you put no limit on how much of a downpayment you can put, so I'd say, pay for the car up front. of course that goes against everything i learned in my finance classes about the time value of money...but who really wants to make monthly payments...

oh and my folks so graciously put down 5k (b/c I just graduated and had just started working) and my monthly pmts are 460 for 60 months. I think the interest rate is 5.9%.

Who really has $26,000 when they are in college to just drop on a car? Anybody with $26,000 sitting in a bank account probably isn't in the Legacy GT market anyway.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

engrish?

and the insurance part.. i don't pay for.

OK, but what if whoever is paying for insurance now, I'm assuming your parents, change their minds down the road?? You're pretty much screwed then. You're also forgeting gas and regular maintenance.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

$400 a month? don't do it. You should buy something cheap and used. I'm in school yet I have a "real job." I have to pay for an apartment and my car. It all adds up really quickly. Trust me dude...you don't want to be able to "barely afford" your car. If i made $400 with an LGT I wouldn't have money left to eat, pay the insurance, or even get an oil change. Forget about going to the movies or buying a Kit Kat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

good luck mang. im a college student myself working 30 hours a week with 23 hours of school. I did 6000 down and my monthly payments are 448 a month. plus another 100 for insurance than its about 40 a week for gas (yes i drive alot, have nearly 31k miles now). i make a little over 1g i cannot imagine someone that makes 400 a month can afford this car, sorry.

it is a nice car, some days i wish i didnt make that decision to buy, but some days its the only thing that brightens up my day.

this is a big decision for you, perhaps you can put some more hours in at work? maybe a new car is not what you are needing right now.

engrish?

and the insurance part.. i don't pay for.

Another major point. Are your parents willing to cosign on this thing? If not you either will:

1) Not get a loan making $400/month

2) You will get an exorbitant rate due to your lack of income.

Archived