LegacyGT.com

fitment guide, 42 offset

16psibrick

hey, i looked over the fitment guide and it ggives a wide range, and then i searched for posts and notice a coupla cars, that went wtih the higher end of hte offset range and the wheels seem to stick out too much...

bsaically my qusetion is:

can a st of 18x7.5 with a 42 off set fit correctly wtih lowering springs? would it look out of place and weird? 225 40 18 tires of course...

if anyone has such a set up, with pics, that would be most fantastic :)

b

What rims and tires are these? I think they look great.

18"x7.0" 5x100 +42 offset

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/000_0147.jpg

it doesn't show too much of the question you're asking, but it fits fine, the tires don't really stick out too much

18"x7.0" 5x100 +42 offset

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/000_0147.jpg

it doesn't show too much of the question you're asking, but it fits fine, the tires don't really stick out too much

18x7 +42mm vs 18x7.5 +42mm are different. Offsets are based on width.

Here's the reason and example:

18x6 +0 offset means the mounting point is at the center of the rim.. which makes this rim a 3" lip..

18x8 +0 offset means the mounting point is at the center of the rim.. which this case makes a 4" lip..

this becomes a double edge sword, the 8" wide rim is 2" wider, 1" on each side: 1" closer to rubbing the shock, and 1" closer to rubbing the fender arch.

1/2" extra width = 12.7mm wide. So if your 18x7 +42mm rim is just THAT close to the fender already, putting on a 18x7.5 +42mm rim would put all that extra 1/4" closer to the fender and 1/4" closer to the shock.. in this VERY case, that 1/4" is just enough to give you rubbing issues. If you want the wider rim to look flush with the same look as the 7" wide rim, then you would need a 18x7.5" +54mm offset rim to keep the tires from sticking out any further.. it's hard to explain it, but if you had rims and spacers and CAD to design it and check the fittings, then it's a lot easier to just understand it with pics.

Keefe

man i wish someone had a 18x7.5 with 42 offset so i can reference haha

based on that car with a 7" rim, would it be correcto say that a 7.5 with 42 offset would stick out an additional...what? .25"?

b

Do a search on my R1 Racing GTR-9 wheels, they were 18x7.5 +42mm offset with 225/40/18 tires, both race and street tire types and they are fine.

Keefe

do you rub at all? at full lock going over bumps?

They rub only if there is heavy load(from passengers or heavy items in the trunk). Another thing is also that my car is lowered w/a fairly soft spring (tein h-tech)

just wanted to say thanks to everyone, finally found a wheel i really like and knowing it fits feels great...

this is a FAR cry from when i have my volvo and was shopping for wheels, 5x108 gives vERY few options haha its refreshing to see 80wheels pop up on tirerack.com versus 10 lol

b

Archived