LegacyGT.com

"Ticking" or "tapping" sound from engine bay....

Hey all,

Did some searches on this, but have come up with multiple answers. Looking for guidance before I make an appointment with the dealer.

Went for a drive up to Maine with my parents today, and noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine at low speeds, mainly when climbing small hills. (Lots of windy roads in Maine.)

Anyway, I noticed it, and a few seconds later my *mother* mentioned it, so it's defintiely noticeable.

It's not loud or severe, just a gentle tick tick tick tick tick that goes away when you take your foot off the gas.

Valve lash? Ping? Timing belt tensioner? Standard boxer engine sound?

For what it's worth:10k on the car, and just switched to Mobil1 a few days ago, and getting well below board average mileage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Is the noise always there, or does it come and go? I had my car serviced two weeks ago for an issue w/ the the timing belt guide...noise was gone for a week then it came back, (noise comes and goes at will) I will try and scan the service receipt at work next week....

it may be something stupid like a rock stuck in the tire tread, or it could be something like a faulty wheel bearing? just because it's from the front of the car and is speed dependant, doesn't mean it's the engine.. just trying to get all the info.. let us know!

It sounds like you are hearing wastegate flutter. It usually occurs at lower RPMs, but can be heard at later RPMs on turbos with adjustable actuator arms.

If it was cold outside, it would be even more pronounced. If the sound goes away off throttle, and occurs at the lower RPM's, and ESPECIALLY going uphill where the car would be boosting; you are just hearing wastegate flutter, and is totally normal.

It sounds like you are hearing wastegate flutter. It usually occurs at lower RPMs, but can be heard at later RPMs on turbos with adjustable actuator arms.

If it was cold outside, it would be even more pronounced. If the sound goes away off throttle, and occurs at the lower RPM's, and ESPECIALLY going uphill where the car would be boosting; you are just hearing wastegate flutter, and is totally normal.

OK, this is good to know. I just did a test with the car in neutral, and I couldn't get it to happen. It comesand goes, generally at low RPM, and my wife says she only hears it "when it's cold and I just start moving from a stop/"

Yesterday I had 4 people in the car + going up a hill + low RPM, so it seems to fit the flutter description fairly well. It definitely stopped when I took my foot off the gas.

^,

I would say you could hear wastegate flutter if you had an aftermarket downpipe, but w/ the stock setup, it's usually damn near silent, and most people wouldn't even know that there is a turbo lurking under hood...

Archived