LegacyGT.com

My Drag Strip Escapade

Ninjapimp

[quote name='miko']I have 1999 Prelude, so that would be H22A engine. My average times are in low to mid 15s, depending on the day. I’m a member of Toronto Prelude club and bunch of us have gone to the track many times over the past few years. From what I’ve seen, H22 will take you to low 15s (stock) and H23 is good for high 15s (again, cool day and good tires are a must for those times). Ninjapimp, I thought that Cayuga was closed due to some issues (safety or noise pollution??), or was it the road course? I love the road course there. It’s great compared to Shannonville and Mosport (DDT, not the full track). Here is a couple of quick pic from Cayuga road track. Hope to be there next year in my GT.. :) [img]http://pictures.simion.ca/cayuga/images/P1060262_JPG.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.cockyracingguy.com/pictures/Cayuga%20-%20May%202004/images/Cayuga%20231.jpg[/img][/quote] I'm sorry but why are you countersteering? :?

Great runs Ninjapimp! Nice to see even with 2.x 60 foot time, you ran a 14.18@96.5. There be power under the hood! The clutch let you know it wasn't happy with any odd behavior or smells after the 5K slip? Sure the aftermarket will allow the RPM to get closer to the 7K of the STi, since the motors are related, good start that the extra revs shouldn't cause too many problems. Time will tell... And what is this talk it must be a sedan people!? A Legacy GT wagon is lighter than a Limited sedan! (all manual) GT Sedan: 3300 GT Sedan Limited: 3365 GT Wagon: 3355 GT Wagon limited: 3435 Comparing regular GTs, difference is going to be what, 0.05 seconds? Stepping up to the Limited models, still looking at leass than 0.1 second difference... -B

And for all of the GT fans... Watch out for a Outback XT MT with low profile tires. Weighs 115 pounds more than a Legacy GT sedan, but with a lower final gear ratio and lower 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, I wouldn't be surprised if the Outback with GT tires is the fastest Legacy down the track... -B

As a point of clarification it's a leg GT LTD sedan. (if I didn't mention it by now) As for the clutch, yes, it did give me a bit of stinker on the 5k slip. Not as bad as I've ever smelt, but certainly no rose garden. I think the launch in an AWD is quite the art. It's very difficult to not bog down a little bit.... :lol:

It is a fairly trickly launch, but if you can nail it, you're off like a shot, and I'm not talking about a major clutch drop. Just enough to not bog it, I think I can slip it from about 4000rpm and get the rubber band effect, but by no means every time, it's an art I have lots of work to master (but I don't have a budget to constantly work on it like many of us.) Once you get it though, you better be ready to shift because the redline is there so fast. One reason a full 7000rpms would have been nice, a little more headroom, even with only 5 slightly wider spaced gears than the 6-speed.

• 3 weeks later...
Dang, weather was too nasty last night to run. Temp was just right along with a falling DP, but storms had just rolled through and wind gusts were pushing 60mph with steady 25+. Guess we'll have to give her a shot in the spring. :(

[quote name='SUBE555']It is a fairly trickly launch, but if you can nail it, you're off like a shot, and I'm not talking about a major clutch drop. Just enough to not bog it, I think I can slip it from about 4000rpm and get the rubber band effect, but by no means every time, it's an art I have lots of work to master (but I don't have a budget to constantly work on it like many of us.) Once you get it though, you better be ready to shift because the redline is there so fast. One reason a full 7000rpms would have been nice, a little more headroom, even with only 5 slightly wider spaced gears than the 6-speed.[/quote] ouch.. you know I tried a slip launch at 3000 rpms.. the clutch didn't hold when I let it out, and the rpm's went to about 5000 rpm when I'm going about 15mph. Then the clutch pedal went completely limp for about 10 seconds (some sort of protection?) I wonder if I just have a weak clutch or what. That smell was great too.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='RobY']Just keep the stock pressure and let AWD do its job. The best times with a WRX was usualy done with a little bit of wheelspin and RE92's the tires pumped up to nearly 40 psi. [/quote] I completely agree with that. Usually the best drag times are with a bit of wheelspin, on any platform, at least until you get up to the pro stall converter/wrinkle wall slick stage. Obviously it's not so easy with AWD but since the RE-92s have such crappy grip if you inflate them a bit it might be possible.

Archived